[sci.military] What is the value of the Soviet ASW ship in Mideast situation?

roeber@eeyore.caltech.edu (Frederick G.M. Roeber) (08/13/90)

From: roeber@eeyore.caltech.edu (Frederick G.M. Roeber)
Recent news items have described the military forces being sent to the
Mideast.  Many countries are sending warships, which may be used in a
blockade, and may support troops in Saudi Arabia.  Among the forces
contributed, the Soviet Union has sent a command ship and an anti-submarine
ship.

Could someone please describe to me the value of ASW in this situation?
What submarine threat is there?

Thank you,
	Frederick.
-------------------------<< Frederick G.M. Roeber >>--------------------------
roeber@caltech.edu or | Bat. 864, 2-A18 | Disclaimer:  Are you kidding?  If
roeber@vxcern.cern.ch | CERN, SL Div.   | more people shared my opinions, the
  +41 22 767 53 73    | Geneva, Switz.  | world would be a much happier place!

terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker) (08/15/90)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <1990Aug12.214732.3320@cbnews.att.com> roeber@eeyore.caltech.edu (Frederick G.M. Roeber) writes:

>Recent news items have described the military forces being sent to the
>Mideast.  Many countries are sending warships, which may be used in a
>blockade, and may support troops in Saudi Arabia.  Among the forces
>contributed, the Soviet Union has sent a command ship and an anti-submarine
>ship.
>
>Could someone please describe to me the value of ASW in this situation?
>What submarine threat is there?

Basically there is no submarine threat.  Anti-Submarine Ship is a
Soviet type designation, much as Amphibious Assault ship is the
designation the USN uses to distignuish helicopter carriers from REAL
carriers.  They have Large and Small ASW ships.  They generally
correspond to the Western designations of destroyer and cruiser.  Of
course the Soviets have their political battles also.  When the Kiev
class carriers were first built they were designated as some type of
ASW ship.  The Soviets tend to use more descriptive type designations
than the traditional Western designations (which admitedly once
described the function, i.e. destroyer came from torpedo boat
destroyer, etc.).  The current (?) designation for the Kiev's is large
helicopter carrying ship.  I also think the large deck carriers are
not called carriers for similar political reasons.

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu

aoki@hermes.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (08/22/90)

From: aoki@hermes.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki)
terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker) writes:
>roeber@eeyore.caltech.edu (Frederick G.M. Roeber) writes:
>>Among the forces
>>contributed, the Soviet Union has sent a command ship and an anti-submarine
>>ship.

It should be noted that the Soviets, like the US and UK, keep a CruDes
force in the PG/Arabian Sea region at all times.  The ships were
undoubtedly there to begin with.  Big contribution ..

>>Could someone please describe to me the value of ASW in this situation?

One could equally well ask what value a SPRUANCE DD or O.H. PERRY FFG
has in the Gulf.  Our nominal ASW platforms have significant ASUW
(e.g, Harpoon, Tomahawk anti-ship, medium-caliber naval guns) and
strike warfare (Tomahawk land-attack) capabilities.  I haven't looked
closely at the photos of the Soviet ASW ship, but I imagine that it's
a UDALOY DD or SOVREMENNY DDG, either of which would be a formidable
opponent for the PG/PGM/PTG forces of the Gulf.

>Anti-Submarine Ship is a Soviet type designation [...]
>They have Large and Small ASW ships.  They generally
>correspond to the Western designations of destroyer and cruiser.

Destroyer and frigate .. cruisers are AAW/ASUW platforms.  (Please
don't bring up the LAMPS and SQR-19 on the AEGIS cruisers.)

>I also think the large deck carriers are
>not called carriers for similar political reasons.

"Fleet air self-defense ship" or some such.  "Carriers" are
offensive weapons used for the oppression of the Third World ..
they've been saying so for decades ..
--
Paul M. Aoki | aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU | "Nice girls don't explode."