[sci.military] Aegis Defense System

jlc@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeffrey Casterline) (08/09/90)

From: jlc@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeffrey Casterline)

Does anyone know whether the Aegis Air Defense protective sphere can
be projected over an adjacent land mass, e.g. Israel or Saudi oil field?

terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker) (08/14/90)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <1990Aug9.020017.8768@cbnews.att.com> jlc@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeffrey Casterline) writes:

>Does anyone know whether the Aegis Air Defense protective sphere can
>be projected over an adjacent land mass, e.g. Israel or Saudi oil field?

The Aegis can track targets over land.  I imagine their performance is
optimized for over-water operation, but I heard some stories about
excellant overland performance.  What difference does it make, when
there are gobs of AWACs already flying around?

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu

cg47+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chap Godbey) (08/19/90)

From: Chap Godbey <cg47+@andrew.cmu.edu>

>From: jlc@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeffrey Casterline)

>Does anyone know whether the Aegis Air Defense protective sphere can
>be projected over an adjacent land mass, e.g. Israel or Saudi oil field?

Since the Aegis system is a bunch of sensors searching and tracking in
3-D, I shouldn't see any problem...unless you're tracking underground
moving targets.
|        Chap Godbey (WACK@DRYCAS.CLUB.CC.CMU.EDU)       |
|                    (cg47+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU)              |
|========================================================|
|                 Un! Znqr lbh ybbx!                     |
|________________________________________________________|

<FLAME ON>
What? The letter is finished? Darn..
<fizzle>

dak@sqarc.sq.com (08/23/90)

From: <dak@sqarc.sq.com>
In sci.military Terry Rooker writes:

>From: terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker)
>In article <1990Aug9.020017.8768@cbnews.att.com> jlc@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeffrey Casterline) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know whether the Aegis Air Defense protective sphere can
>>be projected over an adjacent land mass, e.g. Israel or Saudi oil field?

>The Aegis can track targets over land.  I imagine their performance is
>optimized for over-water operation, but I heard some stories about
>excellant overland performance.  What difference does it make, when
>there are gobs of AWACs already flying around?

Aegis was (partially) developed on land, with quite a bit of testbed
work near Cherry Hill, New Jersey (I used to drive by the development
site every day on the way to work...an amazing sight, "cruiser on a box").

Why might you want AEGIS to project over adjacent land masses?  Well,
think in terms of an integrated net of Standard missile launchers,
with fast radar control...AWACS is more suited to air combat direction.

--
// David A. 'Dak' Keldsen      dak@sq.com or utai[.cs.toronto.edu]!sq!dak
// "Dammit, we're all going to die, let's die doing something *useful*!"