[sci.military] Chinese Army and the Vietnam conflict of 1979

anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) (07/27/90)

From: anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee)

In 1979 China was involved in a major conflict with Vietnam.  The
Chinese Army made a very small penetration into Vietnam but suffered
many casualties.  Many experts pointed out that the Chinese Army was
then poorly organised and also poorly armed.  In many ways this was the
result of Mao's intervention to ensure that the Army will always be loyal
to the party.  In the last ten years there have been steady reforms in
the Chinese Army.  Many of the officers considered themselves as professional
soldiers.  However political education still plays an important part
in the development of the Army especially after the events of June 4th.

The question is can the new generation officers make a difference to
the current political situation ?  Is the Chinese Army actually capable
of defending China in a conventional war, considering her poor preformance
in Vietnam ?  The new Chinese Army has proved that it is capable of
surpressing the Chinese people but can it do anything else ?

Anthony
--
Anthony Lee (Humble PhD student) (Alias Time Lord Doctor)
ACSnet:	anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz	TEL:+(61)-7-371-2651

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (08/01/90)

From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

In article <1990Jul27.015503.21955@cbnews.att.com> anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) writes:

>In 1979 China was involved in a major conflict with Vietnam.  The
>Chinese Army made a very small penetration into Vietnam but suffered
>many casualties.  Many experts pointed out that the Chinese Army was
>then poorly organised and also poorly armed.  In many ways this was the

>the current political situation ?  Is the Chinese Army actually capable
>of defending China in a conventional war, considering her poor preformance

sorry, but you're comparing apples and oranges.  there is a vast amount of
difference between an invading force and a defending force.

first, consider logistical problems.  the invading force not only has to fight
and secure territory but it must also provide it's own logistical needs...
possibly transporting the needed supplies/replacements through hostile
territory.  witness napoleon and hitler.

the defender, on the other hand, has no such problems... resupply/reinforcement
is an 'easier' task because they are operatiing on their own turf.  also,
morale considerations should be taken into account.  people who are defending
their homeland would tend to fight harder than those attacking it.

the US was forced to withdraw from VietNam as well... should we ask the same
questions of our armed forces as you are asking of the chinese??

/***   woody   ****************************************************************
*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/

anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) (08/05/90)

From: anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee)

eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) writes:
>In article <1990Jul27.015503.21955@cbnews.att.com> anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) writes:

[stuff deleted about China-Vietnam 1979 conflict...]
>first, consider logistical problems.  the invading force not only has to fight
>and secure territory but it must also provide it's own logistical needs...
>possibly transporting the needed supplies/replacements through hostile
>territory.  witness napoleon and hitler.

The Chinese army didn't exactly have a long way to go.  I forgotten how far
they penetrate into Vietname but I would be very surprised if it is much
more than 10km.  As for logistical needs well Vietnam is right next door
to China and if the Chinese army can't bring supplies in for such a short
distance then it must have real transport problems.

>the defender, on the other hand, has no such problems... resupply/reinforcement
>is an 'easier' task because they are operatiing on their own turf.  also,
>morale considerations should be taken into account.  people who are defending
>their homeland would tend to fight harder than those attacking it.

That's true, I agree the Vietnamese would have more "push" to repel the
Chinese army.  However the Chinese army of the time is supposed to be
well drilled in discipline, the finer points of communism and loyalty
to the party.  Therefore I doubt if morale could have lead to their defeat.
I think it is more because of poor organisation and the lack of a proper
command structure.  (The command structure was changed by Mao and officers
don't wear any badges etc. to indicate rank)

>the US was forced to withdraw from VietNam as well... should we ask the same
>questions of our armed forces as you are asking of the chinese??

Don't you think that part of the reason why the US was forced out Vietnam
was public opinion about the war in Vietnam ?
In 1979, the majority of the households in China don't have TVs and public
opinion don't count in China.
--
Anthony Lee (Michelangelo teenage mutant ninja turtle) (Time Lord Doctor)

zrra07@crx34.UUCP (Randall R. Appleton) (08/06/90)

From: zrra07@crx34.UUCP (Randall R. Appleton)
In article <1990Jul31.223503.6119@cbnews.att.com> eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) writes:

>In article <1990Jul27.015503.21955@cbnews.att.com> anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) writes:

>>In 1979 China was involved in a major conflict with Vietnam.  The
>>Chinese Army made a very small penetration into Vietnam but suffered
>>many casualties.  Many experts pointed out that the Chinese Army was
>>then poorly organised and also poorly armed.  In many ways this was the
>>the current political situation ?  Is the Chinese Army actually capable
>>of defending China in a conventional war, considering her poor preformance
>
>first, consider logistical problems.  the invading force not only has to fight
>and secure territory but it must also provide it's own logistical needs...
>possibly transporting the needed supplies/replacements through hostile
>territory.  witness napoleon and hitler.

Ahhh, no.

The Chinese didn't get very far at all in their invasion.  In other words,
the never got vary far from their supply.

The Americans in Vietnam seemed to have all the supply they needed.  If in
fact there were supply problems (and I'm sure their were) the problems
were of an organbizational and not a transaportation nature (that's an
opinion, not a statement of fact.)

In any case, the problems with the Chinese army were not supply.  Unlike
Hitler or Napolean, they did not go literally thousands of miles across
an empty plain into the Russian winter.  In fact, they didn't get anywhere
at all!

Randy

jwtlai@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim W Lai) (08/07/90)

From: jwtlai@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jim W Lai)
In article <1990Aug6.031148.2110@cbnews.att.com>
zrra07@crx34.UUCP (Randall R. Appleton) writes:
>In an article (Wayne Wood) writes:
>>In an article (Anthony Lee) writes:
>>>In 1979 China was involved in a major conflict with Vietnam.  The
>>>Chinese Army made a very small penetration into Vietnam but suffered
>>>many casualties.  Many experts pointed out that the Chinese Army was
>>>then poorly organised and also poorly armed.  In many ways this was the
>>>the current political situation ?  Is the Chinese Army actually capable
>>>of defending China in a conventional war, considering her poor preformance
>>
>>first, consider logistical problems.  the invading force not only has to fight
>>and secure territory but it must also provide it's own logistical needs...
>
>The Chinese didn't get very far at all in their invasion.  In other words,
>the never got vary far from their supply.

The Chinese army is not structured to be able to perform a lightning
invasion.  According to "How to Make War" by James F. Dunnigan, there is a
pervasive lack of equipment in the Chinese army, the equipment they have
being obsolete by Western and Russian standards.  Infantry must walk, as
trucks are reserved for moving heavy equipment.  Unlike the Vietnamese
army, the Chinese army also lacked recent combat experience.  The use of
political reliability as a criterion for promotion also reduces
effectiveness somewhat.  To quote: "This has produced mediocre performance
in border battles with combat-experienced Vietnamese troops...  Because of
the lack of strategic mobility, the Chinese army is primarily a defensive
force."

As a footnote, formal ranks have been reinstated in the Chinese army.

anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) (08/15/90)

From: anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee)

zrra07@crx34.UUCP (Randall R. Appleton) writes:

>In article <1990Jul31.223503.6119@cbnews.att.com> eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) writes:

>>In article <1990Jul27.015503.21955@cbnews.att.com> anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) writes:

>>>In 1979 China was involved in a major conflict with Vietnam.  The
[stuff about Chinese army invading Vietnam deleted]
>>first, consider logistical problems.  the invading force not only has to fight
>>and secure territory but it must also provide it's own logistical needs...
>>possibly transporting the needed supplies/replacements through hostile
>>territory.  witness napoleon and hitler.

>Ahhh, no.

>The Chinese didn't get very far at all in their invasion.  In other words,
>the never got vary far from their supply.

Exactly, China is right next door to Vietnam.  In fact the border between
China and Vietnam is only a small distance from the port of Guangzhou which
is immediately North of Hongkong, there are major rail networks and shipping
to bring in more supplies and fresh troops.

>The Americans in Vietnam seemed to have all the supply they needed.  If in
>fact there were supply problems (and I'm sure their were) the problems
>were of an organbizational and not a transaportation nature (that's an
>opinion, not a statement of fact.)

So supply was not a problem for the Americans and is it morale ?
The Americans were in Vietnam from about 65 to 72, that's a long time even
by WWII standards.  How long was China in Vietnam ?  Much less than a
year and so if morale is supposed to go down over a long period of time
than surely there's no cause for the Chinese army to lose their morale ?

>In any case, the problems with the Chinese army were not supply.  Unlike
>Hitler or Napolean, they did not go literally thousands of miles across
>an empty plain into the Russian winter.  In fact, they didn't get anywhere
>at all!

That's right, even if the Vietnamese employed scorch earth tactics it
wouldn't make any difference.  This bring me to the question of "what was
the objective ?" of the Chinese army in 79 ?  They didn't exactly forced
Vietnam out of Cambodia by their invasion ?  Why didn't the Chinese army
just continue to advance until the Vietnamese were willing to withdraw
from Cambodia ?  Did the Chinese army meet such opposition that it
couldn't go any further ?
--
Anthony Lee (Michaelangelo teenage mutant ninja turtle) (Time Lord Doctor)

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (08/23/90)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

The Chinese Army was decimated by the Vietnamese in 1979 -- and not
by the regular Vietnamese Army, but by LOCAL MILITIA!!!  In the
first four days of the conflict, the Chinese suffered over 60,000
casualties and lost a full 25% of their armored units.

Some ten years prior to this folly, the Chinese crossed the Soviet
border in order to reclaim some dirt.  The Soviets, after cooly
contemplating their options for a few days, summarily drove the
Chinese back to the border and into China, destroying each and
every standing edifice within a mile of the border.

The Chinese pose a strategic threat to no one.  Though it would be
impossible to hold China without invoking genocidal policies, the
level of sophistication of Chinese forces is so low that they pose
very little threat to even their neighbors.  As for the Chinese
ICBM force (four liquid-propelled two-stagers that would probably do
more damage to China than to anyone else), who's worried about it?

The only thing the Chinese want from America is trade -- and not
mouthwash or deodorant, as American economists tend to think (they
see China as two billion yawning armpits and thirty-two billion
teeth yearning for American hygienic products).  All the Chinese
want from America is high-tech systems in small quantities so they
can retroengineer them to suit their own needs.

  |/|/|/|/|
  |       |
  |       |
  |   (o o)