[sci.military] Diego Garcia

DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Dan Sullivan) (08/09/90)

From: Dan Sullivan <DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM>
  In the last several days I have heard comments like the follwowing:
"The runways at Diego Garcia have been extended to support larger
aircraft" and "... B-52 launched from Diego Garcia"
  I am confused. I thought Diego Garcia was a very small base that was
used as a listening post.  What exactly is Diego Garcia?
thanks, in advance
dan sullivan

bxr307@csc.anu.oz (08/14/90)

From: bxr307@csc.anu.oz
In article <1990Aug9.015845.8381@cbnews.att.com>, DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Dan Sullivan) writes:

> From: Dan Sullivan <DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM>
>   In the last several days I have heard comments like the follwowing:
> "The runways at Diego Garcia have been extended to support larger
> aircraft" and "... B-52 launched from Diego Garcia"
>   I am confused. I thought Diego Garcia was a very small base that was
> used as a listening post.  What exactly is Diego Garcia?
> thanks, in advance

	Diego Garcia is basically a very small atoll in the Indian Ocean.  It
is under the control of the British Government and leased o the US.  It has
been developed as a forward base for the US Rapid Deployment Force for about
the last 10 years.  When the US first leased it, it was basically a very pretty
little island.  Now that they have finished with it, it is been completely
concreted over, has one very large long runway and a small port.  The Island is
so small the the airfield Control Tower has been placed on an adjacent small
rocky outcrop and is reached by boat!  Also stationed there at last report were
several very large ro-ro ships which carry all the equipment for the RDF in
place (like the POMCUS Sights in Europe for use of the Reforger units).

Brian Ross

skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu (08/14/90)

From: skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu

DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Dan Sullivan) writes:

>From: Dan Sullivan <DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM>
>  In the last several days I have heard comments like the follwowing:
>"The runways at Diego Garcia have been extended to support larger
>aircraft" and "... B-52 launched from Diego Garcia"
>  I am confused. I thought Diego Garcia was a very small base that was
>used as a listening post.  What exactly is Diego Garcia?
>thanks, in advance
>dan sullivan

	Diego Garcia is a small (very) island in the Indian Ocean that
	functions as the forward pre-positioning base for U.S. military
	supplies, including hardware and ammo for forces operating in
	the Persian Gulf region.  Originally in the early-80s, DoD planners
	requested several Persian Gulf states for permission to either
	base forward units or accept stockpiles of equipment for the
	R.D.F and other units, but were turned down by most for political
	reasons.  (except for Oman, but then not a great deal of it either)

	Finally, the British effectively transferred control of one of
	their protectorates, Diego Garcia, to the U.S. for this expressed
	purpose.  However, it is way out (3000 miles) from the Middle East
	but is the closest _secure_ site.

	For the past decade, the military has been accumulating enough
	equipment and supplies to keep a sizeable no. of troops operational
	in the Middle East.  Diego Garcia is meant only as a pre-positioning
	site in aiding top get ground forces quicker to their destinations
	and cannot substain a prolonged exercise.

	At Diego Garciam you have Navy Seabees constructing more and more
	facilities, and a nominal complement of cargo ships loaded and ready
	to go.  I'd imagine at the current pace of deployment into Saudi
	Arabia, that most of the stores have been sent forward.

						- Gary M. Lin
						  Computer Engineering, UCSC

	skidrow@ceres.ucsc.edu		!ucbvax!ucscc!ceres!skidrow

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (08/14/90)

From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

In article <1990Aug9.015845.8381@cbnews.att.com> DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Dan Sullivan) writes:

>  I am confused. I thought Diego Garcia was a very small base that was
>used as a listening post.  What exactly is Diego Garcia?
>thanks, in advance

diego garcia is a festering pimple on God's ass out in the middle of
the indian ocean (read that as nowhere).

i believe it was originally a british fueling stop prior to and during
WWII.  i think we came into possession of it through the brits during
WWII, probably as payment for lend-lease.

originally it was nothing more than an airfield, and i believe  a
listening post aimed at china.

after the iranian 'rescue' attempt the powers-that-be 'discovered'
just how weak we were in the IO, so they beefed up the airfield on
diego garcia and also added warehouses, fuel/ammo storage facilities
for use as part of the global pre-positioned equipment planning.

diego garcia gets regular visits from the pacific fleet as they send
task forces over to loiter around on gonzo station (the persian gulf).

/***   woody   ****************************************************************
*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (08/15/90)

From: uw-beaver!mcgp1!flak (Dan Flak)

In article <1990Aug9.015845.8381@cbnews.att.com> DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Dan Sullivan) writes:
>  I am confused. I thought Diego Garcia was a very small base that was
>used as a listening post.  What exactly is Diego Garcia?
>thanks, in advance

I spent a year in Deigo Garcia, one month (Aug 80) working the
USAF airlift effort supporting the Middle East.

Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territories, is named for
Magellan's navigator, and is located approximately 1,000 miles
south of Sri Lanka (About halfway between Northwestern Austraila
and Saudi Arabia).

Used primarily as a coconut plantation 100 years ago (the
non-operating plantation is still there and is a museum and
wildlife refuge), it now also contains a U.S. Naval Support
Facility. The island is a horse shoe shaped (with the "open end"
of the horse shoe facing north) atol which runs approximately 13
miles from one end of the horse shoe to the other. The east end
of the horse shoe is the plantation, the north west end contains
the naval base. The runway runs diagonally across the midsection
of the west leg of the horse shoe, and is approximately 12,000
feet long.

Although the facility is capable of landing just about anything
(space shuttle excluded?), it can't park that many aircraft (at
least as of 1980). Three C-141's and a C-5 will just about max
out the island. Also, the island isn't set up to accomodate many
visitors. They'd have to be set up in tents. However, this isn't
much of a problem. Being 7 degrees south of the Equator, and in
the middle of a large mass of water, the temperature is a
constant 80-95 degrees with warm breezes.

The air route for supply to the Middle East is West Coast,
Hawaii, Phillippines, then either overfly the Thai penninsula,
or zig zag through the straits (sorry I forget the name) between
Thailand and Indonesia to Diego Garcia. Then onto Oman, or
whatever.

With unaugmented crews handing over the aircraft to prepositioned
crews at every stop, it will take about 2 days for cargo to go
from California to the Middle East. Augmented crews, flying 24
hours a day (literally - there would be one crew change) and in-
flight refueling may knock 8 to 12 hours off the trip. Assuming
you don't want totally exhausted troops on arrival, you may want
to rest personnel at Clark Airbase for an additional 24 hours.

Due to the parking problems mentioned above, limited materials
handling equipment, and few maintenance personnel / facilities
(the latter two limitations could be "beefed up"), it is unlikely
that more than a half dozen aircraft can be cycled through the
island each day. (That's 6 sorties Clark - Diego - Mid East and 6
sorties for return for a total of 12 aircraft in the
bi-directional pipeline).

Diego Garcia is a base which is to be transited by aircraft. It
isn't one where we could establish a squadron easily.

It would be interesting to speculate if we could support this type
of mission without either Diego Garcia or Clark Airbase (or
both!).
--
       Dan Flak - McCaw Cellular Communications Inc., 201 Elliot Ave W.,
    Suite 105, Seattle, Wa 98119, 206-286-4355, (usenet: thebes!mcgp1!flak)

fred@uunet.UU.NET (Fred Brooks) (08/15/90)

From: sma2!fred@uunet.UU.NET (Fred Brooks)

In article <1990Aug9.015845.8381@cbnews.att.com> DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Dan Sullivan) writes:

>From: Dan Sullivan <DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM>
>  In the last several days I have heard comments like the follwowing:
>"The runways at Diego Garcia have been extended to support larger
>aircraft" and "... B-52 launched from Diego Garcia"
>  I am confused. I thought Diego Garcia was a very small base that was
>used as a listening post.  What exactly is Diego Garcia?
>thanks, in advance
>dan sullivan

	As usual when the USAF takes over a base they make it a country
club. The place now has three clubs, a olympic size swimming pool and
a golf course.

	I was first there about 10 years ago when it as primarily run by
the Navy. Then it was a small base mainly for communications support. I went
back a few years ago for a few weeks on a contract my company had with the
Navy, I flew in from Clark Airbase in the Philippines on a C-5 and went thru
British immigration and customs. They run the island and while you are there
you are under English law. Don't eat the crabs or mess with the cats that run
wild all over the place. I spent most of my free time fishing and drinking at
the merchant seamans club.

	The runways and facilities have been expanded to handle about
any size plane. I saw several C-141's, C-130's and the C-5 that I flew in
near the hangars. In the harbor I saw what looked like two big supply
ships. I was told that they were full of tanks, ammo and supplies for
the Rapid Deployment Force. The trip from the gulf from there is about
two weeks (Once I took a USN supply ship from OMAN to Giego Garcia) so I
would say heavy ground forces should be leaving the states about now to
meet their equipment.

--

Defend your 2nd amendment rights.
Fred Brooks

jeffh@oregon.uoregon.edu (Jeff Hite) (08/15/90)

From: jeffh@oregon.uoregon.edu (Jeff Hite)

>Dan Sullivan <DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM> writes:
>  In the last several days I have heard comments like the follwowing:
>"The runways at Diego Garcia have been extended to support larger
>aircraft" and "... B-52 launched from Diego Garcia"
 > I am confused. I thought Diego Garcia was a very small base that was
>used as a listening post.  What exactly is Diego Garcia?

I had the "pleasure" of visiting Diego Garcia in late 1979 while stationed aboard USS Waddell (DDG-24). It was our first landfall in 63 days while
"showing the flag" in the Arabian Sea during the overthrow of the Shah of Iran.

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (08/17/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
>From article <1990Aug15.032056.25897@cbnews.att.com>, by uw-beaver!mcgp1!flak (Dan Flak):
>

> It would be interesting to speculate if we could support this type
> of mission without either Diego Garcia or Clark Airbase (or
> both!).
> --

During the past couple of years, when the Phillipine Govt. has threatened
to toss the US out of our bases, there have been serious offers from
other Pacific Rim countries to provide basing.  Most notable is Singapore;
they have made very serious offers to allow extensive bases which would
be the equivalent of Subic and Clark.

The interesting part of this is that the Pacific Rim countries are
motivated by the fear of Japan re-establishing the "Greater East
Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" if the US withdraws from its bases in
the Phillipines. It is even possible that Viet Nam would entertain
re-opening Cam Ranh to US forces if the Russians withdraw - same
motivation.  I suppose it is similar to the apprehension felt by
the French and the British  (and Russians) to German re-unification;
the Pacific countries have memories of Japanese aggression.

So we probably could secure suitable harbors and airfields other than
the Phillipines if necessary.  However, without any presence at all,
the supply problem would be most severe going westward.

Pat Kauffold AT&T Bell Labs Naperville IL (708) 713-4726

henry@kodak.kodak.com (Bob Henry) (08/23/90)

From: henry@kodak.kodak.com (Bob Henry)
Back in 1972, Mobile Construction Battalion (MCB) 133, U.S.Navy SeaBees was
to deploy to Diego Garcia. We were to help finish a "listening post" and
runway. I was just finishing 4 years with the 'Bees (1 with MCB-7 in 'Nam)
so I didn't tag along. I remember at the time that most of us thought the
Indian Ocean was a strange place for a "listening post".

Maybe someone saw this one coming?...18 Years ago...

BTW - A lot of my friends weren't as "short" as I was so they had to go on
deployment. Their biggest worry was about the stories that you had to
protect your "family jewels" when using the "4-holers". Seems the local
Cobras liked to sit in the dark...and when you sat down... oooo!

|_________________|                          FAX: (716) 722-6592