[sci.military] auto-injectors

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (08/28/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)

> From: DAN.S.SULLIVAN@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Dan Sullivan)
> About the chemical agent self-injectors:
>    While I do not know exactly what these are, but they sound a lot like
> the Epi-Pen (TM?) epinephrine injections that people who are prone to
> anaphylactic shock carry with them.  We were shown what they look like, but
> our standard of care does not allow us to use them so I have no idea
> how they work. Can anyone on the net help?

The kits you see on TV and in the press are auto-injectors (probably
some other trade name) and are similar to the Epi-Pen.  It has a spring
loaded needle and injector in the plastic tube.  You tear off the
cover on the business end, and press it against a large muscle (thigh).
It takes quite a bit of pressure, but when it goes off, a fairly large
IM needle, about 1-1/4" long, shoots into the selected muscle, and the
stuff is injected.  It is big and powerful enough to go through the
protective suit and BDU (hence the length/size of the needle; length
to get through, size so it won't break or bend).  No skill required.
Like any other IM injection of large volume, it would HURT and leave
a serious bruise, but that is a secondary concern.

The kits issued are said to contain 1 dose of atropine, and one dose
of 2-pam chloride.

In NBC school, we did not use the auto-injectors; instead, everyone
had to give themselves a "self-confidence" shot using a gizmo that
looked like a toothpaste tube with a needle on it.  You had to stick
it in your leg, and then squeeze the tube flat. Nothing fancy, no
aspirating, no checks for bubbles.  Always a few who pass out.
Tube contains saline, BTW.

> In my EMT training we were told
> to keep an eye out for these devices, when we came across a patient
> with symptoms of shock - with no apparent injury, or someone tells us
> teh patient was stung by a bee.

Troops are trained to stick the spent injector in their lapel or outer
clothing after use, so the medics who come along to collect them later
will know how many doses of atropine they have had.