[sci.military] _furious_ And _iowa_

Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson) (08/23/90)

From: Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson)

 PG> In at least one sense, it isn't possible to appraise the
 PG> performance of American battleship armor.  As far as I can
 PG> tell, no U.S. battleship was ever hit on her main armor by a
 PG> large-caliber shell in combat.  Counter- examples are welcome.

        Well, one of this class took a kamikaze on the belt armor... It
did no damage other than blowing a few crewmen from their stations. I
think it was the battle of Okinawa

 PG> armament were proposed but never built.  The 8" batteries on
 PG> the _Lexington_s were removed in early 1942 and never used in
 PG> anger.

        The turrets were also designed in such a way that when firing in
any other direction other than the beam, flight operations could not
occur. It was also thought that they were under braced and could not be
fired too many times off-beam without damage to the mechanisims.

hall@EBay.Sun.COM (Scott Hallmark) (08/28/90)

From: hall@EBay.Sun.COM (Scott Hallmark)

In article <1990Aug23.014805.2221@cbnews.att.com>, Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson) writes:

>From: Scott.Johnson@p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org (Scott Johnson)
>
> PG> In at least one sense, it isn't possible to appraise the
> PG> performance of American battleship armor.  As far as I can
> PG> tell, no U.S. battleship was ever hit on her main armor by a
> PG> large-caliber shell in combat.  Counter- examples are welcome.
>
>        Well, one of this class took a kamikaze on the belt armor... It
>did no damage other than blowing a few crewmen from their stations. I
>think it was the battle of Okinawa

 The U.S.S. Missouri BB-63 was the Battleship that took a Japanese Zero
 in the side. The Zero did a suicide dive and hit the ship @ frame 225
 STBD. side. I talked w/ a few old timers who were there then and they
 swept what was left of the zero over the side. As for the pilot, the
 upper half of his torso also landed on the main deck.

 Scott Hallmark/BB-63 Plankowner/Golden Shellback