[sci.military] Iraqi war materiel stockpiles

richk@tera.com (Richard Korry) (08/23/90)

From: richk@tera.com (Richard Korry)
One aspect of Iraq's military I have not seen addressed is their stockpiles
of materiel. It has been demonstrated that "modern" warfare consumes tremendous
amounts of fuel and munitions in addition to personnel (:-( ) and
equipment (tanks, planes, etc). While Iraq has a large army, does it have
an equally large reserve of materiel that would allow it to fight a protracted
war? I'm wondering since the embargo prevents resupply of munitions and
spare parts, would their army grind to a halt (literally) within a few
weeks? Would their supply depots be perhaps among the best initial targets?
Do they have the ability to maufacture munitions? spare parts? Thanks
	rich

bxr307@csc.anu.oz (08/28/90)

From: bxr307@csc.anu.oz
In article <1990Aug23.014637.1878@cbnews.att.com>, richk@tera.com (Richard Korry) writes:

> From: richk@tera.com (Richard Korry)
> One aspect of Iraq's military I have not seen addressed is their stockpiles
> of materiel. It has been demonstrated that "modern" warfare consumes tremendous
> amounts of fuel and munitions in addition to personnel (:-( ) and
> equipment (tanks, planes, etc). While Iraq has a large army, does it have
> an equally large reserve of materiel that would allow it to fight a protracted
> war? I'm wondering since the embargo prevents resupply of munitions and
> spare parts, would their army grind to a halt (literally) within a few
> weeks? Would their supply depots be perhaps among the best initial targets?
> Do they have the ability to maufacture munitions? spare parts? Thanks
> 	rich

	A very good question.  The only clue which I know might point to the
war material problem for the Iraqis is that they have over the last few years
had an arms show of quite large proportions in Bagdad.  At these arms shows
they have displayed some very sophisticated weapons systems, including some
155mm and 240mm SP artillery guns very similar to those used by the South
Africans (the G6 155mm SP Gun was based upon a design by Dr.Gerard Bull and
Armscor of South Africa has been proposing manufacturing a 240mm version for
several years but have yet to publicly show if they have).  Also shown were
various artillery rockets, short range and medium range ballistic missiles all
apparently of native manufacture.  The reports in various defence journals
(Janes Defence Weekly, International Defence Review, etc) were all at pains to
point out that the Iraqis seem to be building up their manufacturing base
during the Gulf War to prevent too much relience on outside sources.
	In addition in the various reports about the off-limits areas devoted
to the manufacture of chemical and supposedly biological weapons were mentioned
various areas where conventional ammunition were being manufactured (one of the
reasons why these various factories would be built in close proximity to each
other would be to allow easy transport the shells to the chemical and
biological plants for filling).  I can also dimly remember reading that the
Iraqis had been purchasing for many years during the Gulf War assorted
machinery for the filling of artillery shells and the mixing of explosives
(International Defence Review has a handy little list in the back of each issue
of major international defence contracts let during that month :-).
	Therefore I'd say that the Iraqis would most probably have a reasonable
ability to provide for their own needs in most munitions.   However I would say
that their stockpiles of the more sophisticated munitions like SAM's and tank
AP rounds would be relatively limited.  In addition I would say that their
stockpiles of raw materials from which they could manufacture munitions would
be rather limited.  As far as I know they would have to import most raw
materials (other than oil :-).  In addition I would expect that these factories
are all well known by now to the US military planner and in the case of them
undertaking an attack, I'm sure they would be targeted most probably in the
second or third wave of attacks.

Brian Ross