[sci.military] Anti-radiation missle capabilities?

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (08/21/90)

From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
Can anti-radiation missiles, which usually are used against radars operating
in the UHF or microwave range, be used against targets emitting lower
frequencies, like HF radio? Could such a missile be used to home in on the
antenna of a transmitter being used to jam shortwave broadcast reception,
for example? [After the first missile takes out the antenna, could a second
one then home in on the transmitter itself, assuming it is still operating
briefly before the operators shut it down, or the internal protection
circuits notice that the antenna load is gone, and shut the transmitter
down in self-protection from burnout?]

Or would the propagation modes and general lesser directivity of lower
radio frequencies keep the homing functions from operating correctly?

If it does work, can the radio-reception frequency span of the missile's
homing circuitry be "dialled in" in the field, or is this something that
has to be factory-set?

Regards, Will
wmartin@st-louis-emh2.army.mil OR wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil
*** "Fire and Forget" means never having to say you're sorry... ***

nak%archie@att.att.com (Neil A Kirby) (08/23/90)

From: nak%archie@att.att.com (Neil A Kirby)
In article <1990Aug21.024249.220@cbnews.att.com> Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL> writes:

[stuff deleted]

>From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
>Can anti-radiation missiles, which usually are used against radars operating
>in the UHF or microwave range, be used against targets emitting lower
>frequencies, like HF radio? Could such a missile be used to home in on the
>antenna of a transmitter being used to jam shortwave broadcast reception,
>for example? [After the first missile takes out the antenna, could a second
>one then home in on the transmitter itself, assuming it is still operating
>briefly before the operators shut it down, or the internal protection
>circuits notice that the antenna load is gone, and shut the transmitter
>down in self-protection from burnout?]

I have problems with the "takes out the transmitter" part.  The only thing
that the missle can really see (electromagnetically) is the antenna.  The
transmitter is some unknown length of coax away from the antenna.  Once the
antenna  is gone, the shredded coax will likely make a damn poor antenna:
impossibly hard to home in on [pause for comic relief: I have visions of very
expensive, highly sensitive missiles blasting apart a quarter mile of coax
cable 50 feet at a time], and very hard on the final output amplifier stages
of the tranmitter.  The tranmitter is likely, as you suggest, to shut
itself down.  Some of these things are capable of taking baby lightening
strikes and staying on the air.  Take a look at any radio or TV broadcast
tower site some time.  The buildings that house the transmitter are some
distance away from the tower.  It's not healthy for them to be in the
vicinity of HARM missile mayhem, but they aren't directly threatened.

Neil Kirby
...att!archie!nak

lewis@saint (Keith Lewis) (08/28/90)

From: lewis@saint (Keith Lewis)

In article <1990Aug21.024249.220@cbnews.att.com> Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL> writes:

>Can anti-radiation missiles, which usually are used against radars operating
>in the UHF or microwave range, be used against targets emitting lower
>frequencies, like HF radio? Could such a missile be used to home in on the
>antenna of a transmitter being used to jam shortwave broadcast reception,
>for example?

In order to home in on a transmitting antenna, the missile needs a recieving
antenna (or three) of its own.  The size of a given design of antenna
is some fraction (preferably 1) of the wavelength (inversly proportional
to the frequency) of the broadcast you want to home in on.  Radar is
measured in centimeters.  HF is measured in meters.  So for *Optimal*
design, you would make the antennae a number of meters in size.

Whether you really need this optimization I can't say.  There may be other
designs that are effective, or maybe the radar antennae will work *well enough*
to take out a powerful transmitting antenna.

--
Keith Lewis
Saddam Hussein says he would pull out of Kuwait, but Islamic law prohibits him.