[sci.military] Reserve Call-Up

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (08/22/90)

From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
Just what are the mechanics and procedures for a call-up of Reserves in
the US? Is Presidential authority required for any such actions, or can
the services do it on their own as they see fit, or is there some
lead-time notification of Congressional oversight committees required,
or what? Does this vary with the extent of the call-up, and can such a
call-up be as limited or as general as the services wish, or do they
have to comply with restrictions? That is, can a single individual, or
a small group, be called up, or does an entire unit have to be called up
at once? If the latter, how small or big is a "unit"?

I would think that there would be many similar units in the Reserves
scattered throughout the states. How is it decided which particular
unit(s) are called up? Are they all ranked by readiness and equipment
availability, so the ones at the top of the list are called first, or
is it just a political issue? ("Ohio voted Democrat in the last
Presidential election, so call up all the Ohio units first." or
something like that? :-)

Are given Reserve units "affiliated" with specific Regular Army units,
so that they will always be called upon to serve with the same force
(sort of like a baseball team's "farm clubs" maybe), or are they just
a general resource pool and don't know what command they'll be assigned
to when they are called up? Or do the Reserves form their own
organizations from the bottom to the top, so that they become a
completely-Reserve fighting/serving unit?

Does this vary between services, or do the Army, USAF, USN, and USMC
Reserves all function the same way? If not, who does what differently?

Regards, Will
wmartin@st-louis-emh2.army.mil OR wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil
*** "Fire and Forget" means never having to say you're sorry... ***

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (08/24/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
> From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
> Just what are the mechanics and procedures for a call-up of Reserves in
> the US? (stuff deleted)

The President issues an executive order, subject to a bunch of
Congressional limitations (War Powers act plus others).

Then DOD starts issuing orders.  Every Reservist has a pre-designated
mobilization billet (job); in fact, he/she carries the instructions
on a card.  This billet may be with the organic reserve unit itself,
or it may be to some other location/unit. Exotic rates/MOSs tend to
be assigned this way, say, to communications stations, C2 Teams.

Some units (ANG) have activated individuals on a voluntary basis
(before executive order). Now the DOD can simply pick and choose,
taking what units it wants, at whatever strength it wants, and
whatever individuals it may need to fill critically short jobs.
For example, the Navy may be critically short of some seagoing
engineering ratings, so they may strip Reserve units to plug holes
in wartime manning requirements (peacetime active units are at about
2/3 to 3/4 wartime compliment).

Some Reserve units have assignments to active organizations; Navy
Reserve Air Squadrons for example.  The Reserves are far more
integrated into the active force components than they were 15 years
ago.

I think it is safe to say that the DOD is going to do most of this
on an ad-hoc basis as they figure out what they need, and where.
It is axiomatic that the first casualty of any war is the plans.

Yes, there is a lot of politics involved.  Most of it is inter-service,
with the various services making sure that they aren't left out.
"Careerism" has an unfortunate influence in this regard, putting
narrow interests ahead of what should be the primary concern -
the mission and the welfare of the troops.

gt0818a@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux) (08/28/90)

From: gatech!prism!gt0818a@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux)

In article <1990Aug22.025527.16670@cbnews.att.com> wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) writes:

>From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
>Just what are the mechanics and procedures for a call-up of Reserves in
>the US? Is Presidential authority required for any such actions, or can
>the services do it on their own as they see fit, or is there some
>lead-time notification of Congressional oversight committees required,
>or what? Does this vary with the extent of the call-up, and can such a
>call-up be as limited or as general as the services wish, or do they
>have to comply with restrictions? That is, can a single individual, or
>a small group, be called up, or does an entire unit have to be called up
>at once? If the latter, how small or big is a "unit"?

	To call up an entire unit, Presidential authorization is required.
	The President can activate up to 200k reserve troops for up to
    	180 days without Congressional permission.

	Calling up individuals and small groups is generally at the services'
	discretion; for example, MAG-49 here in Atlanta activated its reserve
	operations officer "just in case."

>I would think that there would be many similar units in the Reserves
>scattered throughout the states. How is it decided which particular
>unit(s) are called up? Are they all ranked by readiness and equipment
>availability, so the ones at the top of the list are called first, or
>is it just a political issue? ("Ohio voted Democrat in the last
>Presidential election, so call up all the Ohio units first." or
>something like that? :-)

	I only have first-hand knowledge of Marine Reserve procedures. In our
	case, we undergo periodic mobilization tests. Presumably, the "best"
	units will be called. Then again, the USMCR has many fewer reserve
	units than the Army or Air Force, and our reserves aren't affiliated
	with particular commands.

	US Army Reserves and Army National Guard units "belong" with specific
	active-duty units; in fact, the active-duty units *REQUIRE* their
	reserve components to be at full strength. This accounts for the
	proportionate shares of reserves to be called, with the Army in the
	lead.

	Also, my understanding is that many of the Army's depot- and
	higher-echelon maintenance/transport/support units are reserves;
	this would also explain why they're being called.

--
Paul E. Robichaux                 | "Talk about the cutting edge of high
BEST: gt0818a@prism.gatech.edu    |  technology all you like, but remember,

cashman@acsu.buffalo.edu (geoffrey a cashman) (08/28/90)

From: cashman@acsu.buffalo.edu (geoffrey a cashman)

(I am currently a United States Navy Reservist and have been such for the
last six years.  I am an enlisted member attached to a unit known as
ACU-2 (assault craft unit 2) stationed in Buffalo, NY.  I don't know
everything there is to know about Reserves, but I do feel somewhat
qualified to respond to this post... .  .   .)

In article <1990Aug22.025527.16670@cbnews.att.com> wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) writes:
>Just what are the mechanics and procedures for a call-up of Reserves in
>the US? Is Presidential authority required for any such actions, or can
>the services do it on their own as they see fit, or is there some
>lead-time notification of Congressional oversight committees required,
>or what?

The President has the authority to call up Reserve and National Guard
personel without congressional approval.  S/he may call individuals for
90 days of service, which can be extended another 90 with his/her approval.

>Does this vary with the extent of the call-up, and can such a
>call-up be as limited or as general as the services wish, or do they
>have to comply with restrictions? That is, can a single individual, or
>a small group, be called up, or does an entire unit have to be called up
>at once? If the latter, how small or big is a "unit"?

Both cases are true.  Specific individuals in units may be called up,
or entire units may be called up.  Generally speaking, it's usually
units that are called up.  "Unit" is a *very* broad term.  I've seen
it represent anywhere from ten to over a hundred people.  I imagine that
this number is far greater in Army/Marine reserves.

>I would think that there would be many similar units in the Reserves
>scattered throughout the states. How is it decided which particular
>unit(s) are called up? Are they all ranked by readiness and equipment
>availability, so the ones at the top of the list are called first, or
>is it just a political issue? ("Ohio voted Democrat in the last
>Presidential election, so call up all the Ohio units first." or
>something like that? :-)

Units in the Naval Reserve are ranked according to readiness.  Individual
members are ranked on what is known as an "IRAD" scale.  If you are a "10"
you are fully prepared to be called up.  Seven or higher is acceptable.
Units are ranked based on members IRADs and other factors.  Obviously, if
a unit is below satisfactory, it is less likely to be called up.  However,
the main factor in the decision (keep in mind, I am an enlisted member,
not an officer...I am not privy to all the aspects of this decision) is
what needs the Pentagon feels it needs to fill.  If it feels that it
needs additional assault craft personel, then it would probably call up
my unit.  Not because it is necessarily 100% ready to go, but because
it is trained to handle the job.  Politics in the issue do not come in
to play so far as I am aware. (If they did, I would be disgusted)

>Are given Reserve units "affiliated" with specific Regular Army units,
>so that they will always be called upon to serve with the same force
>(sort of like a baseball team's "farm clubs" maybe), or are they just
>a general resource pool and don't know what command they'll be assigned
>to when they are called up? Or do the Reserves form their own
>organizations from the bottom to the top, so that they become a
>completely-Reserve fighting/serving unit?
>
>Does this vary between services, or do the Army, USAF, USN, and USMC
>Reserves all function the same way? If not, who does what differently?

I can not comment on any other than Naval Reserves.  However, in the Naval
Reserves, specific units almost always have "gaining commands" which
is essentially the active duty portion of the unit in question.  I was
formerly assigned to NR DD-977 USS Briscoe unit.  Were I called up, I
would have (ostensibly) gone to the USS Briscoe, for which I was specifically
trained.  The same holds true for the unit I am now in, ACU-2.  Were I called
up I would probably be part of the crew that would take our LCU (Landing
Craft Utility) 1680 from Buffalo out to the Atlantic to be picked up
by a ship.  We would join with the active duty portion of ACU-2 (which
is already on it's way over there).

There are *some* units (very few that I am aware of) in the Naval Reserves
which do not have a corresponding "gaining command" and are fully capable
units in and of themselves.

There is no "Naval National Guard".  However, New York has what is known
as the "New York Naval Militia" which you can be a member of if you are
in the Naval Reserves.  Reserve duty however, takes precedence over
Militia needs.

--
		- Geoff Cashman
		  cashman@acsu.buffalo.edu

rab%rosemary.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Robert A. Bruce) (08/28/90)

From: rab%rosemary.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Robert A. Bruce)

> Just what are the mechanics and procedures for a call-up of Reserves in
> the US? Is Presidential authority required for any such actions, or can
> the services do it on their own as they see fit, or is there some
> lead-time notification of Congressional oversight committees required,
> or what?

The president can mobilize a limited number of reservists (I think
it is 100000) for a limited period (I think it is 90 days).  After
that he needs congressional approval.

> That is, can a single individual, or a small group, be called up, or
> does an entire unit have to be called up at once?

Single individuals, or small units may be mobilized.  When the 7th
MEB left for the MidEast, they were short on personnel for their
TOW Company.  A friend of mine with a lot of TOW experience
volunteered to go.  He was moblilized, and is now in Saudi Arabia.

> I would think that there would be many similar units in the Reserves
> scattered throughout the states. How is it decided which particular
> unit(s) are called up? Are they all ranked by readiness and equipment
> availability, so the ones at the top of the list are called first, or
> is it just a political issue? ("Ohio voted Democrat in the last
> Presidential election, so call up all the Ohio units first." or
> something like that? :-)

Although units are similar, they often have special training or
capabilities.  In the Marine Corps Reserve, the 25th Marines
(Northeastern U.S.) specialize in cold weather operations and
send units to Norway every winter.  The 23rd Marines (Western U.S.)
specialize in low intensity (i.e. guerrilla) warfare.  Nearly all
Marines recieve desert training during the combined arms exercises at 29
Palms.

Each company is given a combat readiness test and a mobilization test
about once every two years.  I imagine that they will take these test
results into account when they decide which units to mobilize.

> Are given Reserve units "affiliated" with specific Regular Army units,
> so that they will always be called upon to serve with the same force
> (sort of like a baseball team's "farm clubs" maybe), or are they just
> a general resource pool and don't know what command they'll be assigned
> to when they are called up? Or do the Reserves form their own
> organizations from the bottom to the top, so that they become a
> completely-Reserve fighting/serving unit?

The way it works in the Marines, is that the reserves have their
own organizations, all the way up to division and wing headquarters.
But in addition we are affiliated with active duty units.  My unit
(Company E, 2nd Bn, 23rd Marines, San Bruno, California) is affiliated
with 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, Camp Pendelton, California.  We
trained with them each summer for the last several years.

This gives the politicians maximum flexibility.  They can either
mobilize large reserve units to operate independently, or they can
mobilize smaller units and use them to reinforce active duty units.
We are prepared for either.

5th Marines has already gone to Saudi Arabia, so if we are mobilized
now, it looks like we will stay in our own organizations rather
than being attached to our affiliated active duty units.

If anyone has any more questions about the Marine Corps Reserve,
I will try to answer them.  Especially if you are healthy, between
the ages of 18 and 29, and live in Northern California. :-)

        -bob

carlson@gateway (Bruce Carlson) (08/28/90)

From: carlson@gateway (Bruce Carlson)

In article <1990Aug22.025527.16670@cbnews.att.com> wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) writes:

>Just what are the mechanics and procedures for a call-up of Reserves in
>the US?

I think the specific mechanisms may vary from service to service; my
comments apply to the Army callup.

Reserve units are in two categories:

Army National Guard - Nearly all combat units are in the National
  Guard; for example 29th Infantry Division (light), the roundout
  brigade of the 24th Inf Division at Ft Stewart, etc.  These units
  may be standalone, but many are affiliated with and train with an
  active duty unit.  Most of the time they are called up in battalion
  or, more likely, brigade sized units.

Army Reserve - Most AR units are combat support or combat service
support.  They include communications, supply, transport and other
units.  Units train for 2 days a month and two weeks annual
training.   Since many of the personnel have specialized skills they
may be called up individually, in small sized units, or in large
sized units, depending on what the Army needs.

Army Reserve also has Individual Mobilization Augmentees (IMAs) that are
not part of a reserve unit.  These people are assigned to active
duty units and are called-up to augment their staff.  IMAs train for
2 weeks a year with their active unit and may train monthly if
funding is available.

There are also many people in the Individual Ready Reserve.  They
are inactive, but still on the Army rolls.  They are subject to callup
but are not in a unit or an IMA position.  They show up once a year
at a recruiting office to demonstrate that they are alive and
more or less available.

The exact order for callup depends on requirements and the influence of
the organizations that need Reserve support.  It costs money to call
up reserves and everything has to be prioritized.  Its political in the
sense that more important and influential active duty commanders may
get support sooner, but I don't think anyone cares which state the units
come from.  If a reserve unit is well known to the active duty commander
and he trusts their performance they may get called up sooner; or if
the reserve unit has special skills they will get called up first.

Back in the (recent) days of the Panama invasion it was interesting to
see what reserve specialties were in demand.  They needed power plant
operators, people experienced in running city water systems, people who
knew how to run city sanitation systems, etc.  Reservists were used to
get the local systems back up and running at a near-normal level.

Bruce Carlson

terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker) (08/28/90)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <1990Aug24.034354.1385@cbnews.att.com> cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) writes:

>Then DOD starts issuing orders.  Every Reservist has a pre-designated
>mobilization billet (job); in fact, he/she carries the instructions
>on a card.  This billet may be with the organic reserve unit itself,
>or it may be to some other location/unit. Exotic rates/MOSs tend to
>be assigned this way, say, to communications stations, C2 Teams.

This is true of the Selected Reserve (drilling reservists).  There is
also something called the Individual Ready Reserve.  These people do
not drill, and do not receive money.  They are simply available to
fill holes.  The IRR are generally not assigned to specific
mobilization billets.  The length of time to notifiy them, plus the
fact that they haven't been drilling (nobody then knows what their
skill levels are) means they will take longer to mobilize.  I guess
the assumption is that they will simply fill holes after the main
mobilization.

>Some units (ANG) have activated individuals on a voluntary basis
>(before executive order). Now the DOD can simply pick and choose,
>taking what units it wants, at whatever strength it wants, and
>whatever individuals it may need to fill critically short jobs.
>For example, the Navy may be critically short of some seagoing
>engineering ratings, so they may strip Reserve units to plug holes
>in wartime manning requirements (peacetime active units are at about
>2/3 to 3/4 wartime compliment).

Actually the Navy system doesn't work quite this way.  Each command
has a wartime manning document.  Some of these billets are not manned
in peacetime.  The remainder can be filled 2 ways.  There are
reserve detachments assigned to each ship.  These people train when
possible aboard the assigned ship.  The remaining billets will be
filled by other bodies in the reserve mobilization.  The Navy does not
like to pull people out of one reseve billet to fill another slot,
because that simply leaves another hole in the mobilization tables.
Where possible entire units or detachments are recalled to active
duty.

The Navy also has Naval Reserve Force (NRF) units which are somewhat
unique (although I believe the ANG does something similar).  These are
reserve units with equipement.  They are usually functions the Navy
wants to keep, but doesn't want to spend a lot of money retaining
(i.e. mine warfare, riverine/coastal warfare, control of shipping.(ie.
convoys), etc.).  These units are manned 30-70% active duty.  The
remainder are SELRES.  If the function of the unit is deemed
unappropriate to the reason for mobilization (such as riverine/inshore
warfare in the Persian Gulf), then the NRF personnel, active and
SELRES, are available to fill any mobilization holes.

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu