[sci.military] F-15E

jmurphy@helix.nih.gov (Joe Murphy) (08/24/90)

From: jmurphy@helix.nih.gov (Joe Murphy)

Does F-15E "Strike Eagle" exist, (did it ever make production?)

If so are there any in the Saudia Arabia???

--
Joe Murphy
National Institutes of Health

Internet: jmurphy@helix.nih.gov, Bitnet: hal%nihdcrt

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (08/28/90)

From: bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante)
| From: jmurphy@helix.nih.gov (Joe Murphy)
|
| Does F-15E "Strike Eagle" exist, (did it ever make production?)

I just caught a McD-D advert (during Meet the Press) that featured the
F-15E prominently, and by name.  (Which might mean that it *isn't* in
production so McD-D is pushing it....)

jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW) (08/28/90)

From: jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW)
>Does F-15E "Strike Eagle" exist, (did it ever make production?)
>If so are there any in the Saudia Arabia??

According to Aviation Week, there is one fully operational F-15E unit--the
4th Tactical Fighter Wing out of Seymour Johnson AFB in North Carolina--
and it has been forward-deployed to the Mideast, presumably Saudi Arabia.

The April 30 issue includes a flight report. As of that writing, 75 aircraft
had been delivered on an order of 200.

I believe I heard on the news a couple of days ago that we have have agreed
to sell the F-15E to the Saudis as well. They have had air superiority
F-15 models for some years, but the prospect of Arab ownership of the F-15E,
which is supposed to be a genuinely dual-role aircraft, presumably doesn't
make the Israelis very happy.

--Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"

clay@swbatl.sbc.com (Patrick Clay - 529-7760) (08/28/90)

From: clay@swbatl.sbc.com (Patrick Clay - 529-7760)
In article <1990Aug24.034137.711@cbnews.att.com> jmurphy@helix.nih.gov (Joe Murphy) writes:

>Does F-15E "Strike Eagle" exist, (did it ever make production?)
>
>If so are there any in the Saudia Arabia???
>
>--
>Joe Murphy

According to McDonnell Douglas' commercial this past weekend it does! That's
got to be the first commerical for a specific military plane I've ever
seen. The audience has got be pretty narrow for a commerical like that
(Congress, plus others) since I sincerely doubt the public at large would
be allowed to buy one. Of course, I'd take out a mortgage on one, but
probably couldn't afford the payments......

-Patrick Clay
--
clay@swbatl:		Patrick Clay - 529-7760

silber@cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman) (08/29/90)

From: "Ami A. Silberman" <silber@cs.uiuc.edu>

>Does F-15E "Strike Eagle" exist, (did it ever make production?)
>
>If so are there any in the Saudia Arabia???

It does exist.  We apparently have some in Saudia Arabia, but have not
sold any to the Saudi's yet.  There was some talk last week about lending
them some, and we did raise the ceiling on the number of F-15A and B models
we would allow them.