[sci.military] Cruise Missiles

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (08/29/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
>From article <1990Aug28.042809.29352@cbnews.att.com>, by Thomas.Farmer@actrix.co.nz (Thomas Farmer):
>

>    How else does one test weapons in the battlefield without having a
> battlefield?  The situation in Iraq is a golden opportunity for the
> battlefield testing of arms and systems.

To clarify and expand: the problem today with many high-tech weapons is
that they are so expensive that the troops hardly have any experience
in using them under (near) battlefield conditions.  For example, one
of the Apache squadrons armed with Hellfire anti-tank missiles had
fired exactly 3 warshots; I suspect these were fired under near
ideal conditions (so as not to waste any).

I think this is generally true for today's newer weapons; the more
expensive the weapon is, the fewer will be used in practice, and this
means that the troops go into battle pretty much as virgins with the
weapons on which they are depending for their lives.

Firing experience at Aberdeen != battlefield expectations.  There are
just too many historical examples of weapons failing to live up to
expectations to think that our high-tech arsenal is going to be so
highly effective as to virtually guarantee success.

At least they are not depending on the Sgt. York! (But ... they are
depending on the Patriot ...)