[sci.military] Decontamination of CW agents

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (08/24/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)

> From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
> One point I haven't seen mentioned in the subject discussion: I thought one
> of the primary decontamination techniques is to wash down and hose off the
> contaminated personnel, while still in their protective suits, and to so
> treat the vehicles before the unprotected inhabitants emerge.  This takes
> lots of water, and is a good idea in the European theatre, where there are
> many lakes and streams and rivers close by.  How is this going to be done
> in the desert?  Does sandblasting take its place?

Right.  Here is a synopsis from "Guidebook for Marines", which I think
is essentially still correct:

SUPER TROPICAL BLEACH

HOW USED: either in pure form or dry mix (2 parts  bleach to 3 parts
earth, or wet mix (slurry) 1 pail water to 6 shovelfuls bleach). If
possible, leave on surface 24 hours. One pound bleach makes enough
slurry to cover 1 square yard of average contamination.

ACTION: reacts with liquid blister agents to form nonvesicant compound,
but pure form indirect contact with pools of liquid blister agents
reacts violently to cause flame and heavy vapor. Generally used as
dry mix or wet mix. Is chemically active, causing vigorous corrosion.

(strong oxidizing agent - I expect it would react with nerve agents.)

WASHING SODA (SODIUM CARBONATE)

HOW USED: Add 2 poinds of soda to 2.5 gal of very hot water, stir
rapidly, apply hot to contaminated surfaces.

ACTION: Destroys blister agents, but much slower than bleach or
caustic soda.

CAUSTIC SODA (LYE)

HOW USED: Caustic soda is used in solution with water. Especially
effective for destroying Lewisite. Decontamination faster with
concentrated solution.

ACTION: Neutralizes chemical agents and biological agents.

CAUTION: Both solid and solution damage skin, eyes, and clothing.
Do not use for personnel decontamination.

WATER OR STEAM

HOW USED: Apply under high pressure; action of hot water is speeded
if soap or other detergent is used.

ACTION: Removes dirt or grease containing chemical agent.

FUELS AND SOLVENTS

HOW USED: Spray fuel on contaminated surfaces and ignite; solvent
(like gasoline, kerosene, or oil) is applied with swabs. Do not
spread contamination.

ACTION: Ignited fuel destroys agents by burning; solvents merely
dilute them, but if diluted enough most contamination disappears.
Residue remains dangerous.

------

So the need for water is apparent; the "dry" method with bleach
might be used (plenty of sand, what?), but it does not sound like
a good method.  The above applies mostly to equipment.

The nerve agents GA, GB, and GD (Iraqui brand) are not very
persistent, and decompose naturally in 12-18 hours. The V-agents
and thickened V-agents are much more persistent, and would have
to be removed.  I expect that any of the strong oxidizing
chemicals like bleach or caustic soda would do the job, but
I didn't see any direct references.

Personnel decontamination is done by getting out of the suit and
into new clothing.  For skin decon, there are kits with chemically
impregnated towlettes; the impression is that you better not get
much skin contaminated.  Other personal decon instructions call
for "flushing with water", and "washing with soap and water".

In the field, this means that you strip at the "dirty" end of
a decon station (showers), shower 2-3 times going through under
watch of monitors and medics, and then don new clothing at the
"clean" end.  Lots of water.

Remember that one drop of nerve agent on exposed skin is enough
to do the job; you would have maybe 1-2 minutes to get this off
to avoid fatal dose, and even then you would have symptoms and
probably be ineffective (100% casualty).

The blister agents are more "forgiving", in that you have a bit
more time to decontaminate, and you would not be 100% incapacitated
(exception: eyes, lungs, mouth - yes, mouth - eating contaminated
food).

simon@relay.EU.net (Simon Taylor) (08/30/90)

From: Simon Taylor <vision!simon@relay.EU.net>

In article <1990Aug24.034223.947@cbnews.att.com> cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) writes:

>From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
>>
>> From:     Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL>
>> One point I haven't seen mentioned in the subject discussion: I thought one
>> of the primary decontamination techniques is to wash down and hose off the
>> contaminated personnel, while still in their protective suits, and to so
>> treat the vehicles before the unprotected inhabitants emerge.  This takes
>> lots of water, and is a good idea in the European theatre, where there are
>> many lakes and streams and rivers close by.  How is this going to be done
>> in the desert?  Does sandblasting take its place?

	I read in a recent copy of New Scientist that the US Army
	had large stocks of a chemical decontaminating solution
	called Decontamination Solution 2 (DS2), that is so dangerous,
	that it is never used in training, and in fact has never been
	used in any situation !

	The article also questioned the use of this stuff on the basis
	that, it was so corrosive that the drums it is contained in
	leak after a few years storage, Also that expired stock
	was being used as weedkiller.

	Does anyone know anything more about DS2, what are its
	constituents, has any shipped out to the Gulf?

Simon Taylor
Support & Training Manager
VisionWare Ltd                  UUCP    : simon@vision.uucp
57 Cardigan Lane                BANGNET : ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!vision!simon
Leeds                           PHONE   : +44 532 788858 Ext. 228
LS4 2LE                         FAX     : +44 532 304676
England
---------------- VisionWare: The Home Of DOS-UNIX Integration -----------------