[sci.military] US Posession of Foreign A/C

sxdjt@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (TABOR DEAN J) (08/19/90)

From: sxdjt@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (TABOR DEAN J)
Has there ever been any public acknowledgement of the US "owning" aircraft from
other governments, ie; the Soviet Union?  I am 99.99% positive that we have at
least one (I *thought* I saw something, but...) and logic would only say that
we must have more floating around somewhere, akin to the captured Zeroes and
various German planes in WWII.

Just curious...

*-----------S-t-a-n-d-a-r-d---D-i-s-c-l-a-i-m-e-r---A-p-p-l-i-e-s-----------*
|Dean J. Tabor       | University of Alaska Computer Network - Operations   |
|SXDJT@ALASKA.bitnet | Fairbanks, Alaska USA  (no, I don't live in an igloo)|
|=+=+=+=+=+=-It's not how fast you go, it's how well you go fast-=+=+=+=+=+=|
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*

rdh@sli.com (Robert D. Houk) (08/23/90)

From: rdh@sli.com (Robert D. Houk)
In article <1990Aug18.182547.24334@cbnews.att.com> sxdjt@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (TABOR DEAN J) writes:

   Has there ever been any public acknowledgement of the US "owning" aircraft from
   other governments, ie; the Soviet Union?  I am 99.99% positive that we have at
   least one (I *thought* I saw something, but...) and logic would only say that
   we must have more floating around somewhere, akin to the captured Zeroes and
   various German planes in WWII.

At the Air Force Museum (Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio) there is a
MIG (-17, I think?) on display with a little plaque explaining that a N.
Korean flew it to a US (or US-controlled/friendly) base and landed, thus
collecting some bounty ($100K ??) which the defecting pilot claimed to not
know about. The US took the plane apart to see how it worked, then put
it back together and "offered it back to its rightful owner". No response
came back, no owner stepped forward to claim it, so the plane got stashed
away in the museum.

					-RDH

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (08/23/90)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

In article <1990Aug18.182547.24334@cbnews.att.com>, TABOR DEAN J writes:
*Has there ever been any public acknowledgement of the US "owning" aircraft from
*other governments, ie; the Soviet Union?  I am 99.99% positive that we have at
*least one (I *thought* I saw something, but...)

it's hardly a secret that the US `owns' a number of older Migs (15,17,19,21)
captured by various allies (notably Israel) and passed along.  note that
generally the US doesn't have the `best' versions of these aircraft, as
the Soviets generally don't sell the nicest ones outside of Eastern
Europe (and probably not that anymore.)

richard
--
richard welty         518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
welty@lewis.crd.ge.com                 ...!crdgw1!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (08/28/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
.it's hardly a secret that the US `owns' a number of older Migs (15,17,19,21)
.captured by various allies (notably Israel) and passed along.  note that
.generally the US doesn't have the `best' versions of these aircraft, as
.the Soviets generally don't sell the nicest ones outside of Eastern
.Europe (and probably not that anymore.)

And there was that Mig-25 that was flown to Japan
by Viktor Belenko in the  mid 70s.

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (08/28/90)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>

Dean Tabor (sxdjt@acad3.fai.alaska.edu) writes:

>Has there ever been any public acknowledgement of the US "owning" aircraft from
>other governments, ie; the Soviet Union?  I am 99.99% positive that we have at
>least one (I *thought* I saw something, but...) and logic would only say that
>we must have more floating around somewhere, akin to the captured Zeroes and
>various German planes in WWII.

There were a number of MiGs flying here at Edwards AFB in the late 60s
and early 70s--"souvenirs" of the Israeli war in 67.  They flew out of
North Base and were, of course, classified, but they looked odd and
were easily noticed and identified.

There was also a big scandal a couple of years ago, when a USAF
general was killed flying a MiG.  He ejected out of the envelope
(supersonic) and was killed.  The scandal entailed his being old and a
general officer and flying a single-seat plane.  (There's an age limit
and a rank limit on flying without an IP, mostly based on lack of
currancy.)

The Taiwanese government has, I understand, a standing reward for
pilots who defect from the People's Republic, bringing their planes
with them.  The reward is in ounces of gold, based on the aircraft
type.  Lots for the latest fighter, little for the ageing DC-3
knockoff.  I'm sure we get at least a look at those.

--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
           NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

freeman@decwrl.dec.com (Jay R. Freeman) (08/30/90)

From: argosy!freeman@decwrl.dec.com (Jay R. Freeman)

In article <1990Aug28.030754.21711@cbnews.att.com> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

>And there was that Mig-25 that was flown to Japan
>by Viktor Belenko in the  mid 70s.

I recall that that one was returned to the USSR once the intelligence
community was done with it.  I think I recall that the USSR attempted to
bill Japan for the cost of putting it back together, whereupon Japan
countered with a bill for storing it for a while, whereupon ...

                                           -- Jay Freeman

	  <canonical disclaimer -- I speak only for myself.>

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (08/30/90)

From: fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <1990Aug28.030754.21711@cbnews.att.com>, ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

> And there was that Mig-25 that was flown to Japan
> by Viktor Belenko in the  mid 70s.

Which was handed back to the soviets.  Conveniently packed in a large packing
crate or two.  In parts.  All of them.

The Japanese government let some friends watch as they dismantled it and got
it ready for packing.

  The only drawback with morning is that it comes
    at such an inconvenient time of day.