[sci.military] F-12

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (08/23/90)

From: att!utzoo!henry
>From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
>Does anyone have any information on the F-12 project? What was
>the performance of this airplane supposed to be? What kind of
>armament was it supposed to have mounted? The project was supposed
>to produce a strategic bomber interceptor, and instead spawned the
>SR-71.

It's hard to tell how seriously the F-12 was undertaken.  There certainly
was interest, in some quarters, in a new interceptor, but given the obvious
shift of the threat from bombers to ballistic missiles, it was unlikely
even then that real money would be spent on it.  The other plausible
explanation for the F-12 is that it was largely intended to divert attention
from the more secret Blackbirds.  One standard photo shows a YF-12 under
construction at Lockheed, in a modest work area at Lockheed... another
photo that *wasn't* released at the time shows what's on the other side of
the partitions around that area:  the production line for the A-12 (the
original, highly secret, Blackbird built for the CIA).

Performance of the YF-12 was roughly comparable to the other Blackbirds,
circa Mach 3 at circa 75,000 ft.  Armament was four big Hughes missiles
that were descendants of the big Eagle (meant to arm the Navy's Missileer,
cancelled in favor of the F-111B) and precursors of the Phoenix.

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

Scott.Johnson@gatech.edu (Scott Johnson) (08/28/90)

From: gatech!p0.f7.n391.z1.fidonet.org!Scott.Johnson@gatech.edu (Scott Johnson)

 UN> It's hard to tell how seriously the F-12 was undertaken.  There
 UN> certainly was interest,

        Two prototypes (maybe 3) were built, and one flys as a high
speed test bed for NASA, and I think the other is in the Smithsonian.

 UN> but given the obvious shift of the threat from bombers to
 UN> ballistic missiles, it was unlikely even then that real money

        Nope, the Airforce finally realized that ultimate speed would
 not yeild the ultimate interceptor. Sure it was fast, but if you missed
 on the first target run it took an entire CONTINENT to turn around and
 try again, by which time the smart money has already bombed his target
 and gone home. Also, the mechanics of converting a lightly built reccon
 bird into a high-g fighter were beyond even Mr. Johnson.

 UN> F-12 is that it was largely intended to divert attention from
 UN> the more secret Blackbirds.

        Hmmmm, never heard of this one, but they spent an AWFUL lot of
 money creating a distraction.

                                          Henry Spencer at U of
  Toronto Zoology henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

                                        (God, I love flaming him)

wb9omc@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) (08/28/90)

From: wb9omc@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick)
>It's hard to tell how seriously the F-12 was undertaken.  There certainly
>was interest, in some quarters, in a new interceptor, but given the obvious
>shift of the threat from bombers to ballistic missiles, it was unlikely
>even then that real money would be spent on it.  The other plausible
	Henry, some of the stuff I have read on the subject (including
	Crickmore and Jay Miller) has indicated that the missles vs.
	bombers argument hit it right on the head.  In a sense, the
	YF12 was a parallel of the Soviets building the MiG-25 to
	counter the XB-70.  The divergence comes because the Soviets
	went forward with the MiG-25 while we canned the YF-12.
	I think that "let's muck it up" McNamara also had his fingers
	into this pie.  I have often wondered if he ever got kickbacks
	from somebody at General Dynamics. Why?  The YF-12 was a Lockheed
	project - cancelled.  The XB-70 was a North American project -
	cancelled.  Hmmmmmm....sorry 'bout the politics there, guys...

>explanation for the F-12 is that it was largely intended to divert attention
>from the more secret Blackbirds.  One standard photo shows a YF-12 under
>construction at Lockheed, in a modest work area at Lockheed... another
>photo that *wasn't* released at the time shows what's on the other side of
>the partitions around that area:  the production line for the A-12 (the
>original, highly secret, Blackbird built for the CIA).
	Well said - there were some A12's built during and I think,
	slightly *after* the YF12's, so it isn't like there was a
	direct line from A12 to YF12 to SR71.

>Performance of the YF-12 was roughly comparable to the other Blackbirds,
>circa Mach 3 at circa 75,000 ft.  Armament was four big Hughes missiles
>that were descendants of the big Eagle (meant to arm the Navy's Missileer,
>cancelled in favor of the F-111B) and precursors of the Phoenix.
	Jay Miller's Aerofax on the Blackbirds states that the A12 was
	capable of Mach 3.6, with the YF12 capable of something like
	Mach 3.5.  Suposedly the SR71 was good for Mach 3.25 due to
	its being rather heavier than either of the other two, but
	I still have doubts about all three of those figures.  For
	instance - the SR71 has interchangeable noses and (apparently)
	palletized packages for the chine bays.  One of the noses is the
	so-called "ballast nose" which contains enough weight to keep
	the CG right and that is about it.  If you strip out all of the
	recon. goodies how much weight does it actually remove and
	how much affect could it have on top speed? Hmm......

	BTW, I think the missile specified for the YF-12 was the Hughes
	XAIM-47.  The Phoenix is the AIM-54(a,b,c,d....whatever).  Crickmore
	has an interesting photo of a crewman with an XAIM-47 on one
	side and an XAIM-54 on the other (gosh, I sure HOPE AIM-54 is
	the right number.....) for size comparisons.

	The YF-12's systems were actually tested against target drones,
	quite possibly QB-47's, and worked very nicely.  I seem to recall
	mention of a shoot down from some 125 or 150 miles away!  I
	think *that* is pretty impressive, even today.

Duane

johnb@gatech.edu (John Baldwin) (08/30/90)

From: gatech!srchtec!johnb@gatech.edu (John Baldwin)

>Performance of the YF-12 was roughly comparable to the other Blackbirds,
>circa Mach 3 at circa 75,000 ft.  Armament was four big Hughes missiles
>that were descendants of the big Eagle (meant to arm the Navy's Missileer,

Has anyone else seen this film short, or am I just misremembering it?  :-)
It was some early footage of YF-12 test flights... the camera was obviously
mounted in a chase plane, and the YF-12 test-fired one of its missiles.
The missile came off a hardpoint on the underside of the fuselage, forward
of the wings... it dipped a little (presumably to clear the ship), got just
a little forward of the aircraft's nose, and then lazily drifted back until
it was well behind the YF-12.  It then chased the mothercraft for a while
until the YF-12 had thoroughly outrun it and the missile ran out of fuel!

--
John T. Baldwin                      |  johnb%srchtec.uucp@mathcs.emory.edu
Search Technology, Inc.              |
                                     | "... I had an infinite loop,
My opinions; not my employers'.      |  but it was only for a little while..."