[sci.military] Submission for sci-military

terryr@cse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker) (08/21/90)

From: Terry Rooker <terryr@cse.ogi.edu>
From: terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker)
Newsgroups: sci.military
Subject: Re: [Re: H202 Submarine Propulsion (was Re: Nicknames)]
Date: 20 Aug 90 14:49:01 GMT

In article <1990Aug15.032837.27755@cbnews.att.com> welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:

>many argue that the US was too quick to discard the conventional
>submarine, though.  they're cheaper and they're quieter (batteries
>driving electric motors make a lot less noise than reactors driving
>steam turbines driving generators driving electric motors.)  the
>US has retained in active service a number of older conventional
>powered subs so that anti-sub forces can practice exercises and learn
>about the unique problems presented by conventional powered submarines.

Although I tend to agree, I also accept the Navy's arguments.  The
first nukes were very noisy.  There have been some comments to the
effect the early boats were so noisy that they were next to worthless.
By the early 60's nuke technology was suffeciently advanced, that they
were competitive with the diesels, and had many advantages.  By then
the 2 styles of submarines required largely different technologies, it
was a choice of where to concentrate funding. Attempting to develop
both would probably have been too expensive for congress to swallow.
Considering the state of diesel boats through the early 70's, this was
probably a wise decision (yes, there are exceptions, most notable the
German type-207's and derivatives).  Now the situation is very
different.  With modern batteries, and air-independent propulsion the
diesels can compete with the nukes in every area but sustained high
speed.  As events in the Persian Gulf( and the Falklands for that
matter) show this requirement is still very important to the USN.
Advances in submarine propulsion have also made the most modern nukes
competitive with diesel boats on batteries.  So I guess the choice is
still not obvious.

There is also the problem with maintaining two separate personnel
training and qualification systems.  It is the lack of specialized
training and experience that have been attributed to causing the
accidents on the USN's conventional boats.  That may just be political
chaff to justify scrapping them.  Of course the accidents make the
decision for the boat that burns.  During this fiscal year, or by next
fiscal year the last of the USN SS's will be gone.  At that time the
USN will have the distinction of having the only all-nuke submarine
fleet.

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (08/23/90)

From: xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng)
In article <1990Aug21.025615.2757@cbnews.att.com>, terryr@cse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker) writes...
^
^In article <1990Aug15.032837.27755@cbnews.att.com> welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:
^>

[nuke vs conventional sub discussion deleted to save bandwidth]

^
^There is also the problem with maintaining two separate personnel
^training and qualification systems.  It is the lack of specialized
^training and experience that have been attributed to causing the
^accidents on the USN's conventional boats.  That may just be political
^chaff to justify scrapping them.  Of course the accidents make the
^decision for the boat that burns.  During this fiscal year, or by next
^fiscal year the last of the USN SS's will be gone.  At that time the
^USN will have the distinction of having the only all-nuke submarine
^fleet.
^
^--
^Terry Rooker
^terryr@cse.ogi.edu

Wasn't there also the assumption that the Europeans would concentrate on
conventional subs for "coastal" defence while we would worry about the long
ranging sub activities?  I assume that is also why the US has very few PHMs but
the Europeans have quite a few.

Another debate of the same period was the double hull vs the single.  It would
seem that there is some concern that the US may have made a bad choice to go
with single hulled subs now that it appears that the Soviets has made the
concept work.  On the other hand we did enjoy a long period (40 years?) where
US subs were much better than the Soviet counter parts.

Aren't there concerns that US ASW torpedoes may have trouble killing the later
generation Soviet subs (I guess we're talking about the lighter ASROC Mk50s and
helo dropped torps rather than the Mk48) because of the standoff distance
between the double hulls?  Add the fact that the new Soviets are as quiet as
older LAs and new models are expected to be quiter the Seawolf and Improved
LAs may be badly outclassed in the years to come.

The problem appears to be that subs are approaching the point where further
reductions in noise are less important (although being quiet at any significant
speed is still difficult) since they will approach the ambient noise.  This is
very bad for US subs as doctorine has been to take the noisier Soviets out at
long range with our better detection gear.  Now it seems that we may have to
engage much closer and we may not get a clean kill with the first shot.
Assuming the Soviets continue to develop their "wolfpack" tactics a LA in that
situation would find it self engaging several subs all of whom are going to
"shooting from the hip".  This means 4 torpedo tubes against quite a few more.
What it probably really means is a dead LA.

This brings us back to the original discussion with something of a different
aspect:  Would more conventional subs (we're assuming that conventional subs are
much cheaper to build and perhaps to run) organized in hunter packs be more
effective than fewer, nucs that will probably have to operate alone?

NT

   // | Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc - NASA/GSFC COBE Project
 \X/  | xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov

Amiga | Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.

johnb@gatech.edu (John Baldwin) (08/30/90)

From: gatech!srchtec!johnb@gatech.edu (John Baldwin)

In article <1990Aug23.015128.3150@cbnews.att.com>
 xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) writes:

>This brings us back to the original discussion with something of a different
>aspect:  Would more conventional subs (we're assuming that conventional subs
>are much cheaper to build and perhaps to run) organized in hunter packs be
>more effective than fewer, nucs that will probably have to operate alone?

When you're trying to listen for a stealthy enemy, it makes no sense to do
it with all your brothers and sisters along.  ;-)

Also, the current generation of torpedoes are *very* lethal.  For the
unitiated, that means they pack an explosive punch of whalloping magnitude.
(How's that for being really technical?)

Test shots have not only literally cut a scrapped destroyer in half, but that
same single shot near *vaporized* a good-sized chunk out of its middle.
--
John T. Baldwin                      |  johnb%srchtec.uucp@mathcs.emory.edu
Search Technology, Inc.              |
                                     | "... I had an infinite loop,
My opinions; not my employers'.      |  but it was only for a little while..."