[sci.military] atomic cannon

G_AHRENDT@VAXA.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt) (08/29/90)

From: G_AHRENDT@VAXA.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt)
I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some (any!) information or
references to the Atomic Cannon the US Army was testing in the Desert in the
late 40's or early 50's?

I think it only ever fired one shot ;)

All i've seen was some footage of this HUGE cannon with a enormous amount of
recoil blast it's projectile into the sky and seconds later a mushroom in the
distance...

matt@amsaa-seer.brl.mil (Matt Rosenblatt) (08/31/90)

From: Matt Rosenblatt <matt@amsaa-seer.brl.mil>

In article <1990Aug29.014355.7169@cbnews.att.com> G_AHRENDT@VAXA.CC.UWA.OZ.AU
(Gunter Ahrendt) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some (any!) information
>or references to the Atomic Cannon the US Army was testing in the Desert
>in the late 40's or early 50's?   [Gunter Ahrendt]

You can come see the Atomic Cannon!  It is at the U. S. Army Ordnance
Museum here on Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland.  Exit 85 off the John
F. Kennedy Expressway (Interstate 95) at Aberdeen, follow Maryland Route
22 to the main gate, and ask the Military Policeman where the Atomic
Cannon is.  It is not far from the main gate at all, and it is right out
in the open where anyone can see it.

					-- Matt Rosenblatt
					(matt@amsaa.brl.mil)

camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (James A Seymour) (08/31/90)

From: camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (James A Seymour)
  All I can provide is a little tidbit.  On top of a hill
just south of the airfield and interstate 70 at Fort Riley
Kansas is an atomic cannon that was deactivated years ago.
Maybe one of the 1st division boys knows more??????

prm@genesis.ecn.purdue.edu (08/31/90)

From: prm@genesis.ecn.purdue.edu

"The first atomic cannon was 'Atomic Annie', the US Army's 280 mm gun,
which fired a nuclear shell on 25 May 1953 in a demonstration at
Frenchman's Flat, Nevada.  Within a few years nuclear shells were
developed for the 8-inch howitzer and the 155 mm howitzer, and the
Russians, too, began to exhibit heavy guns thought capable of nuclear
fire.  Because of the danger of escalation, no nuclear shells have been
fired in combat; but the nuclear capability has nevertheless
dramatically increased the destructive potential of artillery."

Source:  "Artillery", by Curt Johnson

Cheers,
Phil

russ@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Russ Kepler) (08/31/90)

From: bbx!bbx.basis.com!russ@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Russ Kepler)

In article <1990Aug29.014355.7169@cbnews.att.com> G_AHRENDT@VAXA.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some (any!) information or
>references to the Atomic Cannon the US Army was testing in the Desert in the
>late 40's or early 50's?

There were 2 made, one still existing at the National Atomic Museum
here in Albuquerque New Mexico.  There's an exhibit on the cannon
including a photo of a shot of a nuclear round in Nevada.  I
*think* that you are correct in thinking that there was only the
one atomic round fired.

>From memory the guns were based in Germany until the late 50's when
they were returned to the US.  I suspect that increases in accuracy
of short range missiles removed any need for the Atomic Cannon.  If
I remember rightly they're 155mm guns - I just tried to call and
they're not yet open...

BTW: The Atomic Museum is sort of an interesting place - definitely
one of a kind!  Where else are you going to find a museum detailing
the development of nuclear warheads in the US?  For information try
calling +1 505 845 6670 (at least that what Sandia Labs information
office gave me.)

--
Russ Kepler -  Basis Int'l     SNAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109
UUCP: bbx.basis.com!russ                                    PHONE: 505-345-5232

matt@amsaa-seer.brl.mil (Matt Rosenblatt) (08/31/90)

From: Matt Rosenblatt <matt@amsaa-seer.brl.mil>

(Gunter Ahrendt) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some (any!) information or
>references to the Atomic Cannon the US Army was testing in the Desert in the
>late 40's or early 50's?   [Gunter Ahrendt]

I'd like to thank Dr. William Atwater, curator of the U.S. Army Ordnance
Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland, and his staff for providing
me the following information:

>From the Museum's description of the weapon:

  "A significant advancement in Army Ordnance and land warfare, this new
 weapon is a formidable, strategic piece of military equipment because of
 its ability to fire both atomic and conventional types of projectiles.
  "Added to this feature is its accuracy at long range, its tactical
 mobility, and the speed with which it can be readied for action.
  "Mounted on a welded steel carriage -- a complex assembly containing
 mechanisms for aiming the gun and cushioning its recoil -- the gun is
 transported by two tractor-type units.  One unit is attached to the front
 and one to the rear of the carriage.
  "Two recoil motions absorb the terrific shock when the gun is fired.  The
 primary recoil takes care of the barrel's 'kick.'  The secondary recoil --
 an innovation in artillery -- absorbs the forces created by the primary
 recoil.  Secondary recoil is accomplished by travel of the entire weapon
 on the turntable slides.
  "Hydraulic power elevates and depresses the barrel, the mechanism being
 controlled by a single lever.  If power is not available, this can be done
 manually.  A hydro-pneumatic equilibrator makes the action almost effort-
 less.  Horizontal traverse of the entire carriage, mounted on a turntable
 is performed with a hand wheel and gear train.  Shells and powder charges
 are loaded by a hydraulic power rammer.
  "In compliance with instructions from the Chief of Staff, U. S. Army,
 design changes in a weapon already in the development stage, so that it
 could accomodate an atomic charge, were ordered by the Chief of Ordnance
 in November 1949."

The staff could find only the first page of a contemporaneous newspaper
article:

New 280 mm Gun Demonstrated

Public Sees Weapons Capable of Firing Atomic Projectile 20 Miles

  "Newspapermen and members of Congress witnessed a demonstration of the
 Army's largest-caliber artillery piece, having complete mobility, last
 month when the new T131 280 mm gun, carriage and transporter were unveiled
 to the public at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds [sic].  Both conventional
 and atomic shells can be fired by the piece.
  "Unlike the air-delivered atomic bomb, this weapon can deliver an atomic
 shell on target in all kinds of weather, day or night.  It can fire with
 accuracy comparable to conventional artillery in the shorter ranges and is
 considered to be much more accurate at long ranges than any mobile artillery
 piece developed prior to World War II.
  "It is carried suspended between two engine cabs, which can transport their
 load on highways at a speed of about 35 miles an hour.  Telephonic communi-
 cation is provided between front and rear cabs and the leading transporter
 driver has control of throttle and brakes for both cabs, although they can
 be operated independently.
  "The complete unit, ready for traveling, weighs about 85 tons, but is not
 much larger than the heaviest field piece now in service and can cross
 bridges that can be used by a division with standard equipment.  It can also
 travel cross-country, as well as on the highways, and can fit into a landing
 ship designed for amphibious operations.  It can be emplaced and put into
 action with greater speed than any other heavy field artillery piece now
 in use.
  "The gun is so balanced in the vertical that a man can elevate or depress
 it by exerting a pressure of not more than 30 rounds on a handwheel, in case
 of a failure of the power unit normally provided.  A gear train, operated
 by a handwheel on which no more than 10 pounds pressure need be exerted,
 traverses the weapon.
  "The projectile and powder charge are loaded into the weapon's breech by
 a hydraulic power rammer.  This operation can also be performed by hand.
  "The gun can give a type of accurate and devastating close support to ground
 troops never before available in the history of warfare.  It has a range of
 about 20 miles, fires high explosive and other conventional types of ammuni-
 tion in addition to the atomic shell, elevates from 0 to 55 degrees, traver-
 ses  360 degrees, weighs about 85 tons and has an overall length . . ."
 [end of page]

>From a description prepared by the Dravo Corporation of Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania and the Kenworth Motor Truck Corporation of Seattle, Washington:

Highlights of Assembly

  "The coordinated efforts of Army Ordnance and the gun's manufacturers
 have resulted in the production of this weapon.  Considering the complexity
 of its design, the numerous new production techniques involved, and the
 difficult problems of materiel procurement, the first assembly-line unit was
 produced in record time.  The pilot model was produced at Army Ordnance's
 Watertown Arsenal, Watertown, Mass.  The barrel and breech were manufactured
 by Ordnance's Watervliet Arsenal, Watervliet, N.Y., which continues to make
 these items for all units.
  "The first production model of carriage and mount assembly was produced by
 Dravo Corporation on a prime contract with the Pittsburgh Ordnance District.
 For this assembly alone, the combined facilities of Dravo's structural steel
 fabricating, heavy and light machining, heat treating, electrical, piping
 and welding shops are required.  Nearly 2200 blueprints govern the assembly.
 Work is performed to 86 different standard military, government and civilian
 specifications.  Huge machine tools are used to cut, bore and plane many
 different kinds of metal, and unique jigs and fixtures had to be designed
 and fabricated.
  "The T-10 transporter units are manufactured by Kenworth Motor Truck
 Cor poration of Seattle, Washington, largest and longest established truck
 manufacturer in the western half of the United States.  In the modern
 Kenworth factury are manufactured some of the world's most highly special-
 ized motor vehicles.  For each carriage there are two 4x4 transporters,
 one with the cab forward, as in conventional trucks, and one with the cab
 at the rear.  Especially engineered hydraulic hoisting equipment picks up
 and lowers the carriage and mount assembly.  The carriage can be trans-
 ported at speeds up to 35 miles an hour.  The unit as a whole can move
 forward, backward or sideways since either tractor unit can pull while
 the other pushes, or they can turn at right angles to the center section
 and proceed parallel to one another.  Gross vehicle weight rating of the
 T-10 transporter is more than 85 tons.  Length is 84 feet, 2 inches.  Each
 tractor unit is powered by an Ordnance-Continental air-cooled gasoline
 engine which develops 375 gross horsepower.
  "Recoil mechanisms, manufactured by R. Hoe & Company, New York, N.Y.,
 are shipped to Dravo for installation in the assembly.  In recoil,
 the entire carriage slides back on its central turntable and rear pan.
 A hydro-pneumatic mechanism connected to the carriage brings it back to
 normal position.  The carriage slides on stainless steel guides riding
 on bearing pads.
  "Months of painstaking research and testing were required in the develop-
 ment of this weapon, and completion of the first production models has
 written another chapter in the history of American military and industrial
 teamwork."

Hope this helps.  Remember, the U. S. Army Ordnance Museum is open Tuesday
through Friday from 12 PM to 4:45 PM, Saturday and Sunday from 10 AM to
4:45 PM, closed Mondays and National Holidays expect Armed Forces Day,
Memorial Day, Independence Day and Veterans Day.  The outside exhibits,
including the mile-long tank collection in the median strip of Maryland
Boulevard and the 25 Acre tank/artillery park of 225 items (including the
Atomic Cannon), are open every day during daylight hours.

                                        -- Matt Rosenblatt
                                        (matt@amsaa.brl.mil)
                                        Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD

khearn@uts.amdahl.com (Bug Hunter) (08/31/90)

From: khearn@uts.amdahl.com (Bug Hunter)

In article <1990Aug29.014355.7169@cbnews.att.com> G_AHRENDT@VAXA.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt) writes:

>From: G_AHRENDT@VAXA.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt)
>I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some (any!) information or
>references to the Atomic Cannon the US Army was testing in the Desert in the
>late 40's or early 50's?
>
>I think it only ever fired one shot ;)
>
>All i've seen was some footage of this HUGE cannon with a enormous amount of
>recoil blast it's projectile into the sky and seconds later a mushroom in the
>distance...

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "atomic cannon." If you mean a
  cannon that uses an atomic blast to fire the projectile - YOWZA!!!
  I doubt that is what was done or what you mean. If you mean a cannon
  that can fire a nuclear device, yes its been done. I don't know what
  the original tests used that you mention, but the army currently
  uses (or rather plans to use) the 203mm (8 inch) howitzer for that
  particular job. I'm not sure of the yield (and I'm sure the Army
  wouldn't tell me either), but i doubt its more that a couple of
  kilotons (much more on the battlefield would probably be overkill).

The cannon itself is impressive, but not what I'd call
  "HUGE". It is usually found on a M110A(somethng) carrier, which is a
  tracked platform with the gun sitting on top. No armor. There are
  a couple of "spades" that extend into the ground from the back to
  keep the recoil from rolling it into the next county. I've never
  seen the nuclear round go off (obviously), but I have seen a
  conventional 203mm round hit, and I was impressed. You could feel
  it in your chest from over a mile away.

Keith

--
Keith Hearn               \    Four is greater than three,
khearn@amdahl.com          \      even for large values of three

rogers%npdiss1.stpaul.ncr.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bob Rogers) (08/31/90)

From: Bob Rogers <rogers%npdiss1.stpaul.ncr.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

In article <1990Aug29.014355.7169@cbnews.att.com> G_AHRENDT@VAXA.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt) writes:
>From: G_AHRENDT@VAXA.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt)
>I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some (any!) information or
>references to the Atomic Cannon the US Army was testing in the Desert in the
>late 40's or early 50's?

The "atomic museum" (may not be it's proper name) at the air force base in
Albuequerque, NM has one of these cannons, along with all sorts of other
atomic warfare stuff.
--
Bob Rogers                         rogers@stpaul.ncr.com
NCR Network Products Div.             (or) rogers@pnet51.cts.com

silber@cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman) (09/02/90)

From: "Ami A. Silberman" <silber@cs.uiuc.edu>
I don't know much about it (I think it is a modified 8" naval gun), but
it currently resides at Ft. Sill Army Base, in Fort Sill Oklahoma.  They
have a very nice collection of old arillery pieces there.