[sci.military] Our chem vs Iraqi Chem

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (08/22/90)

From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)
Could someone post a summary of the types of chemical weapons we have
in our stockpiles? I am more interested in the fillers than the actual
delivery mechanisms.

The Iraqis might not want to pick a chemical battle with us; so far as the
press has been advertising, most of the Iraqi nerve agents are of short
(what's short?) duration. I seem to recall we have various long-duration
nerve agents which could contaminate areas for weeks, as do the Soviets.

Further, no chemical warfare discussion would be complete without addressing
the capabilities of the French and the British, who are also in the area
and may be called upon for a multi-national response (or, with the French,
a unilateral response should their people get hit).

djm@castle.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) (08/28/90)

From: D Murphy <djm@castle.ed.ac.uk>

In article <1990Aug22.025307.16138@cbnews.att.com>
sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:

>From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)
>Could someone post a summary of the types of chemical weapons we have
>in our stockpiles? I am more interested in the fillers than the actual
>delivery mechanisms.

There are basically 4 types of chemical weapon available:
1. Lachrymators - an example being CS (or `tear') gas usually used for
   crowd suppression or riot control (depending who is using it :-).
   Its use is unlikely here as it is nonlethal in deployable doses unless
   the target is compromised in some way - e.g. asthmatic - and these people
   are unlikely to pass military medicals.

2. Blister agents. These are `mustard gases' and nitrosoureas which use
   highly reactive nitrogen based compounds to corrode the skin - e.g.

   R2NCH2CH2Cl ---> R2NCH2     skin
                      \|      ------->  R2NCH2CH2-skin
                       CH2

   R = chemical groups chosen to provide desired physical characteristics

3. Hydrogen cyanide - works by chemically binding cyano groups to metal ions
   in the body - among them the iron in haemoglobin - and preventing them
   doing their biological jobs properly, as cyano metal complexes are often
   more stable than the natural complexes. Certainly the Fe(ii)CN produced
   by reaction of HCN with haemoglobin prevents oxygen uptake.

4. Organophosphorus nerve agents. These are based on the skeleton:

   R2P=O

   the fluorine provides a reactive `handle'. R is again a chemical group
   chosen to impart desired characteristics of volatility, environmental
   stability and biological penetration. I have a list somewhere of the
   structures of the main ones (the German sarin, soman and tabun, and the
   UK developed VX). These things are not gases, but viscous liquids deployed
   from their containers by a small explosive charge as an aerosol. Thickening
   agents are also sometimes added to increase persistence.

>The Iraqis might not want to pick a chemical battle with us; so far as the
>press has been advertising, most of the Iraqi nerve agents are of short
>(what's short?) duration. I seem to recall we have various long-duration
>nerve agents which could contaminate areas for weeks, as do the Soviets.

I don't know how long they'd last in desert conditions. Chemically the
blister agents and nerve agents are readily destroyed by heat and water, and
by alkalis.

>Further, no chemical warfare discussion would be complete without addressing
>the capabilities of the French and the British, who are also in the area
>and may be called upon for a multi-national response (or, with the French,
>a unilateral response should their people get hit).

Dunno about the French - they'll probably go their own way as usual. UK forces
have no offensive chemical capability (and haven't had for over 30 years),
but the protective gear is very good.

Antidotes.
The antidote used depends on the weapon. Cyanide poisoning is countered by
administration of amyl nitrite to increase heart rate and make what oxygen
carrying capacity is left in the blood available faster. Cyanide ion
sequestrants, which bind CN- better than Fe(ii) and thus pull cyanide off
haemoglobin, can also be used.

Blister agents cause direct physical damage just as much as fire would. There
is little that can be done except the same sort of treatment administered to
burns victims.

Nerve agents work by tightly binding to the enzyme acetyl cholinesterase in
the synapse between nerve endings and muscles. In normal transmission, the
nerve signal causes release of acetylcholine which triggers muscle response.
The enzyme breaks down the acetylcholine and recycles the choline. When the
enzyme is blocked, the muscle becomes desensitised by continual presence of
acetylcholine in the synapse. There are 2 ways of countering this:

a. Use of a muscle relaxant such as atropine. This relaxes the muscle by
   affecting receptors in the synapses which cause the opposite effect to
   acetylcholine (hence belladonna - Italian women used to put it in their
   eyes to expand the pupil).

b. Use of a phosphorus sequestrant. Chemicals based on, e.g. hydroxylamine
   H2NOH bind the phosphorus better than the available nitrogen atoms in
   the enzyme which the nerve agent is blocking. This pulls the agent away
   from the enzyme and free it again. These actually reverse the action of
   the nerve agent (unlike a. which just counter the effects) but are toxic
   themselves, so the most likely field treatment would be to administer
   atropine to keep the victim alive until the antidote can be given under
   medical supervision.

Murff...

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (08/28/90)

From: uunet!mcgp1!flak (Dan Flak)

In article <1990Aug22.025307.16138@cbnews.att.com> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>The Iraqis might not want to pick a chemical battle with us; so far as the
>press has been advertising, most of the Iraqi nerve agents are of short
>(what's short?) duration. I seem to recall we have various long-duration
>nerve agents which could contaminate areas for weeks, as do the Soviets.

I don't think that it's so much that their agents don't last as
long as the Soviets, it's the environments in which they will be
deployed.

The successs of chemical weapons depends very much upon the
weather. A calm, cool, moist air mass will keep the chemical
agents suspended in the air for a long period of time. (Spray
your hornet's nest just before dawn). This does not sound like a
typical weather pattern for the Iraqi dessert. Also, vegetation
is instrumental in trapping gases and keeping those blister
agents where they can do damage. Mixing chemical agents with
streams and puddles helps transport the agents in still leathal
quantities. Having sticky agents fall on concrete or hard (non
absorbant, clay-like) soil will keep them around where they can
be tracked into other areas.

It seems that a lot of the chemical agents would get soaked into
the sand, evaporated, blown away, or otherwise dissapated.

Caveat warning: I'm not an expert, I'm just trying to recall a
conversation with someone who is.
--
       Dan Flak - McCaw Cellular Communications Inc., 201 Elliot Ave W.,
    Suite 105, Seattle, Wa 98119, 206-286-4355, (usenet: thebes!mcgp1!flak)

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: uunet!mcgp1!flak (Dan Flak)
>It seems that a lot of the chemical agents would get soaked into
>the sand, evaporated, blown away, or otherwise dissapated.

It is worth remembering that "desert" does not mean "sand".  Popular
misconceptions to the contrary, much desert is rocky rather than sandy.
Real live old-movie-style sand dunes cover only a modest fraction of
the Sahara, for example.  What things are like in the Kuwait area,
I'm not sure.

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu (Tim Miller) (09/02/90)

From: cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu (Tim Miller)

On 31 Aug 90, henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) said:

H> It is worth remembering that "desert" does not mean "sand".  Popular
H> misconceptions to the contrary, much desert is rocky rather than sandy.
H> Real live old-movie-style sand dunes cover only a modest fraction of
H> the Sahara, for example.  What things are like in the Kuwait area,
H> I'm not sure.

	According to one U.S. soldier in the region, it's "sorta like west
Texas."  8)

	Does anyone have any ideas on how long Hussein's (sp?) tank
divisions will be able to keep moving before lack of spare parts grinds
them to a standstill?

					Timothy J. Miller
					cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu

"What shall we call you, oh mighty scorcerer?"
"Some call me...  ...Tim.  Tim the Enchanter."