[sci.military] Questionable value of air superiority

HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU (08/28/90)

From: HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Most of the recent postings concerning the deployment of US air forces in
the gulf explicitly suggest that air superiority is tactically equivalent
to military victory.  There is no precedent for this claim among the wars
of the last fifty years.  The land war in Vietnam demonstrated that if a
nation was willing to endure tremendous casualties caused by air warfare
and continually bolster the land army that a winnable war could be fought.
My question, and doubtless an anxiety to US general staff, is whether the
modern US armed land forces are capable of fighting a sustained land war?
A survey of US forces in Germany, published in the Sunday Times some four
years ago, produced evidence of (a) gross unfitness, (b) unfamiliarity with
complex battlefield weaponery and (c) poor sense of tactics in 20% of the
forces studied.

While airpower may be a deciding factor in the outcome of any eventual gulf
war, it is unlikely to be the deciding one in the absence of major infantry
engagements.

Jerry Harper:
Computer Science Dept, University College Dublin, Dublin 4, IRELAND
harper@ccvax.ucd.ie

bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (08/31/90)

From: bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken)

In article <1990Aug28.042628.28858@cbnews.att.com> HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
>From: HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
>                          The land war in Vietnam demonstrated that if a
>nation was willing to endure tremendous casualties caused by air warfare
>and continually bolster the land army that a winnable war could be fought.

There are a lot of places to hide in the jungle, and the Ho Chi Minh trail
was a faithful supply line.  There are no places to hide from air
power in the desert, and Iraq will have almost no external supply lines,
and internal ones would get hammered by air.   A potential war against
Iraq has very few valid comparisons to those in Vietnam or Afghanistan.
--
Dave Bakken                     Internet: bakken@cs.arizona.edu
Dept. of Comp. Sci.; U.of Ariz. UUCP:     uunet!arizona!bakken

cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu (Barry Johnson) (09/02/90)

From: cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu (Barry Johnson)
>From article <1990Aug28.042628.28858@cbnews.att.com>, by HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU:
>

> of the last fifty years.  The land war in Vietnam demonstrated that if a
> nation was willing to endure tremendous casualties caused by air warfare
> and continually bolster the land army that a winnable war could be fought.

But does the obvious differences in terrain between Vietnam and
Saudi Arabia not play a part?  Granted, I'm not very
knowledgable on the subject, but isn't a land war in the desert
a tacticly completely different animal than a land war in the jungle?
Would CAS be more or less difficult in a desert terrain as
opposed to a jungle terrain?
--
Barry Johnson                            cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu
Consulting & Technical Services     Standard disclaimer about me, my

arie@midway.uchicago.edu (ariel berschadsky) (09/02/90)

From: arie@midway.uchicago.edu (ariel  berschadsky)
In article <1990Aug28.042628.28858@cbnews.att.com> HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU writes:

>Most of the recent postings concerning the deployment of US air forces in
>the gulf explicitly suggest that air superiority is tactically equivalent
>to military victory.  There is no precedent for this claim among the wars
>of the last fifty years.  The land war in Vietnam demonstrated that if a
>nation was willing to endure tremendous casualties caused by air warfare
>and continually bolster the land army that a winnable war could be fought.

I would like to point out that Vietnam is covered with tropical jungle and
makes it relatively easy for guerrilla groups and even small armies to
"fade away."  It is almost impossible to hide major troop movements in
open desert, and therefore such movements are more easily detectible, and
stoppable, from the air.

cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu (Tim Miller) (09/02/90)

From: cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu (Tim Miller)

On 31 Aug 90, bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) said:

D> There are a lot of places to hide in the jungle, and the Ho Chi Minh trail
D> was a faithful supply line.  There are no places to hide from air
D> power in the desert, and Iraq will have almost no external supply lines,
D> and internal ones would get hammered by air.   A potential war against
D> Iraq has very few valid comparisons to those in Vietnam or Afghanistan.

	But, so far as air superiority goes, I still have my doubts.  HE
bombs and shells historically have had a lesser than anticipated effect on
infantry that has had the foresight to dig in and dig deep.  The battles
across Normandy during WWII are a classic example; despite constant
hammering by air and by Allied artillery, the Wehrmacht was still able to
maintain adequate supply lines, move tanks and men, and still keep Allied
forces bottled up for more than 2 months *despite* the total Allied control
of the air.

	Granted that the German infantryman was a vastly superior fighter
than the average Allied soldier, the lesson still stands; when attempting
to clear out prepared infantry, air superiority alone is insufficient.
Supplies, intelligently organized, can still flow despite constant air
attacks, and one still needs men prepared to take each strongpoint.

	These lessons seem to have been lost upon the American military in
the last 50 years.  Iraq may not stand a chance in hell in the long run,
but if such thinking continues, Hussein (sp?) can make a war damn expensive
in lives in the short haul.

					Timothy J. Miller
					cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu