[sci.military] Mig-29 Fulcrum

Rob.Posinski@p0.f4.n391.z8.uafcveg.uark.edu (Rob Posinski) (08/21/90)

From: Rob.Posinski@p0.f4.n391.z8.uafcveg.uark.edu (Rob Posinski)

Can someone get me a Thrust-to-Weight Ratio on the Mig-29?  Can it keep up with the F-16 Falcon in an accelerating climb of 45degrees plus?
Has anybody gotten wind of a new improved version of the Mig-29 being in the works?
--
Rob Posinski - via FidoNet node 8:391/12
UUCP: uafcveg!tprs!4.0!Rob.Posinski

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (09/02/90)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

In article <1990Aug21.025319.2171@cbnews.att.com> Rob.Posinski@p0.f4.n391.z8.uafcveg.uark.edu (Rob Posinski) writes:

>Can someone get me a Thrust-to-Weight Ratio on the Mig-29?  Can it keep up with the F-16 Falcon in an accelerating climb of 45degrees plus?
>--

The MiG-29's two engines are each capable of providing 18,300 pounds of
static thrust with afterburning.  The maximum takeoff weight of the MiG
is approximately 36,000 pounds, so a thrust-to-weight ratio could be infer-
red to be just over 1.0.

As for its climb rate -- it has a maximum climb rate of 50,000 feet in one
minute;  The F-16A and F/A-18A each have a rate of 40,000 feet/min.  The
Dassault-Bregnot Mirage 2000C and the MiG-21 'Fishbed-L' have a rate of
about 56,000 feet/min.

The MiG-30 is an export version of the MiG-29 (just a -29 with the avionics
from a MiG-23), and is believed to have been delivered to Syria.  Give it
a higher number and the Third World thinks it's getting a deal!

[Source: "The World's Great Interceptor Aircraft, 1989", from Gallery
Books of W.H. Smith Publishers, Inc., New York, NY.]

  |/|/|/|/|
  |       |
  |       |
  |   (o o)              "I'm outta here, man!"
  |    /
 /______

-shane d deichman

 "...The Ayatollah of Rock-and-Rollah!"