[sci.military] US to use chemical weapons?

HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU (08/28/90)

From: HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
As none of the Western nations desire to fight among the oilfields and
installations due to the enormous cost of replacing plant, what options
are available except chemical weapons?  The US, as far as I am aware
went through a pantomine performance with (then Vice) President Bush
agreeing to destroy all chemical weapons, but in reality storing ten
percent of the stock in permanent form (or until all the other nations
entirely dispose of their stocks :-) as binary agents.

Furthermore, isn't the Western head shaking and hand wringing over the
Iraqi use of chemical weapons more proof of the infectiousness of
hypocrisy?  Afterall, if Agent Orange wasn't a chemical weapon perhaps we
should all have a post-prandial paraquat.

Jerry Harper:
Computer Science Dept, University College Dublin, Dublin 4,IRELAND
harper@ccvax.ucd.ie

geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) (08/30/90)

From: geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)

In article <1990Aug28.043142.404@cbnews.att.com> HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU writes:

>As none of the Western nations desire to fight among the oilfields and
>installations due to the enormous cost of replacing plant, what options
>are available except chemical weapons?

What about neutron bombs?  Since the advantage of enhanced radiation weapons
is that they can kill personnel while doing relatively little damage to the
local infrastructure, I'd think they'd be ideally suited to that kind of
fighting.

Geoff

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Geoff Miller                    + + + + + + + +        Sun Microsystems
geoffm@purplehaze.sun.com       + + + + + + + +       Milpitas, California
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (09/02/90)

From: sun!sunburn.West.Sun.COM!gtx!qip!john (John Moore)

>From: HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
] Furthermore, isn't the Western head shaking and hand wringing over the
]Iraqi use of chemical weapons more proof of the infectiousness of
]hypocrisy?  Afterall, if Agent Orange wasn't a chemical weapon perhaps we
]should all have a post-prandial paraquat.

I realize that this is verging on the political, but lets get some
facts straight:
  Agent Orange was not sprayed to disable or kill troops. It was sprayed
  as a defoliant. There is very little evidence that it is harmful,
  even though a number of studies have been made of Vietnam Veterans
  exposed to it. I have read a number of these studies and find them
  quite convincing. The US Centers for Disease Control recently completed
  a large study on the subject, and their report is available by a
  phone call if you are a VietNam veteran. The executive summary is
  available in any case (although I don't know about overseas shipment).
  In my opinion, the executive summary is a good abstract of the
  detailed report. I have both.

Thus to call Agent Orange a chemical weapon is incorrect in a military
sense. This is, after all, a military news group.

John Moore   asuvax!anasaz!john

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (09/02/90)

From: att!utzoo!henry
>From: geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)
>What about neutron bombs?  Since the advantage of enhanced radiation weapons
>is that they can kill personnel while doing relatively little damage to the
>local infrastructure, I'd think they'd be ideally suited to [oilfield]
>fighting.

Nobody in his right mind is going to authorize use of anything nuclear in
a relatively minor war.  Everyone is better off if nuclear weapons continue
to be seen as weapons of desperation only.

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry