[sci.military] MiG's in US service

yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (ran el-Yaniv) (08/24/90)

From: ran el-Yaniv <yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

US does have some "foreign" A/C... I am not positive if the MiG-25 of Belenko
was returned. The Israeli government sent some MiGs (17 or 19) to the US
quite some time ago... A friend says, MiG-21, too.

parmentier@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu (08/29/90)

From: parmentier@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu
In article <1990Aug24.034335.1293@cbnews.att.com>, yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (ran el-Yaniv) writes:
> US does have some "foreign" A/C... I am not positive if the MiG-25 of Belenko
> was returned. The Israeli government sent some MiGs (17 or 19) to the US
> quite some time ago... A friend says, MiG-21, too.

	I think the Mig-25 was returned, I have heard that the US has Mig-15's,
 19's, 21's, and 23's, that get used for fighter tactics training.

___ Gregg Parmentier ____ parmentier@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu ___

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (08/29/90)

From: xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng)
In article <1990Aug24.034335.1293@cbnews.att.com>, yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (ran el-Yaniv) writes...
^
^
^From: ran el-Yaniv <yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
^
^US does have some "foreign" A/C... I am not positive if the MiG-25 of Belenko
^was returned.

Yes, it was.  In crates I believe.  ;-)  From the accounts it seems as if the
Soviets handled the situation poorly pissing off the Japanese to no end.  So
the Japanese agreed to have the experts dismantle the aircraft and do whatever
it is experts do before returning it.

I also believe that they presented the Soviets with a bill of $40,000 for
"damage to ground facilities and transportation charges".  Not be out done the
Soviets responded with a 10 million dollar bill for "unfriendly handling". ;-).

NT

Historical note:  Lt Belenko flew a Soviet Mig 25 from Chuguyecka to Hakodate
Airport (northern Japan) on Sept. 6, 1976.  It was returned on November 12,
1976 from the Hitiachi port in shipping containers...

   // | Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc - NASA/GSFC COBE Project
 \X/  | xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov

Amiga | Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.

sxdjt@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (TABOR DEAN J) (08/31/90)

From: sxdjt@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (TABOR DEAN J)
In article <1990Aug29.014646.7960@cbnews.att.com>, xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) writes...

>Historical note:  Lt Belenko flew a Soviet Mig 25 from Chuguyecka to Hakodate
>Airport (northern Japan) on Sept. 6, 1976.  It was returned on November 12,
>1976 from the Hitiachi port in shipping containers...

If it was packaged/handled like my VCR (Sony) was, the MiG arrived in very poor
condition!  (sorry to waste the bandwidth, but I couldn't resist)

*-------(-:-S-t-a-n-d-a-r-d---D-i-s-c-l-a-i-m-e-r---A-p-p-l-i-e-s-:-)-------*
|Dean J. Tabor       | University of Alaska Computer Network - Operations   |
|SXDJT@ALASKA.bitnet | Fairbanks, Alaska USA  (no, I don't live in an igloo)|
|=+=+=+=+=+=-It's not how fast you go, it's how well you go fast-=+=+=+=+=+=|
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*

bwood@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Blake Philip Wood) (08/31/90)

From: bwood@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Blake Philip Wood)

>The Israeli government sent some MiGs (17 or 19) to the US
>quite some time ago... A friend says, MiG-21, too.

There was a MiG-21 at Oshkosh a few weeks ago which did a series of
500 kt. afterburner flybys at about 100' above the runway - right in
front of the crowd.  VERY LOUD.  It was painted in N. Vietnam colors,
and was billed as the only privately owned MiG-21 in the free world.

                 Blake P. Wood - bwood@janus.Berkeley.EDU
                 Plasmas and Non-Linear Dynamics, U.C. Berkeley, EECS

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (08/31/90)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))

I haven't read any confirmation of this from anywhere else, so regard
it appropriately ...

The wildest story I have seen on this, is a story the LA Times ran a
few months ago. If I remember correctly, the story was plucked from a
wire service, so it may have appeared elsewhere. The gist of the story
was that the KGB admitted in a Soviet newspaper that it had not been
totally successful at preventing unauthorized transfer of Soviet
military technology. Apparently, some Eastern European countries had
sold some of MiG-29s and T-72s to unauthorized parties. The article
went on the imply one of the foreign recipients was the US acting
through dummy corporations.

-ted

Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:    ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                Phone:   (213)206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024		  FAX:     (213)825-2273

jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) (09/02/90)

From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)
In article <1990Aug31.031223.25368@cbnews.att.com>, tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) writes:
> I haven't read any confirmation of this from anywhere else, so regard
> it appropriately ...
>
> The wildest story I have seen on this, is a story the LA Times ran a
> few months ago. If I remember correctly, the story was plucked from a
> wire service, so it may have appeared elsewhere. The gist of the story
> was that the KGB admitted in a Soviet newspaper that it had not been
> totally successful at preventing unauthorized transfer of Soviet
> military technology. Apparently, some Eastern European countries had
> sold some of MiG-29s and T-72s to unauthorized parties. The article
> went on the imply one of the foreign recipients was the US acting
> through dummy corporations.
>
> -ted
I remember hearing similar sorts of stories after the fall of the late, unlamented
Ceaucescu of Rumania.  It seems that his regime was so corrupt that Western
intelligence services simply walked in with wads of cash (hard currency, of
course) and just bought any Soviet bloc weapon they wanted.  It seems that there
was no lack of officials willing to sell.  However, I don't know if Rumania
had any MiG-29s or T-72s for sale.  The almighty dollar seems to work
when everything else fails.

AT&T Bell Laboratories			*  "May as well be frank, monsieur.  *
200 Park Plaza				*  It would take a miracle to get    *
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7050		*  you out of Casablanca."           *
ihlpm!jfb
jfb200@cbnewsd.att.com
				    Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!