[sci.military] Nicknames

c8636248@cc.nu.oz.au (08/02/90)

From: c8636248@cc.nu.oz.au
    < stuff deleted >

>   This was at a time when nearly any ship in the RN would be given a nickname if
> it had an unusual enough appearance or some annoying quirks.  HMS "Renown" and
> "Repulse", because they were poorly designed and structurally weak - the armor
> belt did not extend up the lower deck side as they were originally constructed,
> and the scantlings were too light for a ship armed with 15" guns - went into
> drydock fairly often in the years immediately following their construction.
> They came to be known as "Refit" and "Repair".

   A book I have at home on modern submarines and submarine warfare has a
similar reference to the Royal Navy submarine HMS Explorer ( I think the
class name was Safari ). This had been fitted with an experimental hydrogen
peroxide propulsion system of such dubious propensities that the crew took to
calling it 'HMS Exploder'.

      Andrew Hide
      Computer Science Honours
      University of Newcastle, NSW, Australia

IA80024@maine.maine.edu (Nicholas C. Hester) (08/05/90)

From: Nicholas C. Hester <IA80024@maine.maine.edu>
In article <1990Aug2.042311.3031@cbnews.att.com>, c8636248@cc.nu.oz.au says:

>   A book I have at home on modern submarines and submarine warfare has a
>similar reference to the Royal Navy submarine HMS Explorer ( I think the
>class name was Safari ). This had been fitted with an experimental hydrogen
>peroxide propulsion system of such dubious propensities that the crew took to
>calling it 'HMS Exploder'.

Sorta reminds me of the US Carrier, the Forrestal.  After so many accidents
and fires it acquired the nick, the ForestFire.  I told this to my father
who was one of the origninal crew when it was first commissioned, and served
on board for a couple of years, and got the steeliest glare and warning
about talking about the Forrestal like that, that I never mentioned it to him
again!

 Nicholas C. Hester                  "Quis custoiet
ia80024@Maine.Bitnet                  ip sos custodes?"
ia80024@Maine.Maine.edu

silber@cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman) (08/05/90)

From: "Ami A. Silberman" <silber@cs.uiuc.edu>
The Agincourt was nicknamed the "Gin-Palace".  It was originally built for
Argentina (I think), along with the Canada, and was appropriated by the
British when the war started.  It had seven turrets, all of the them
centerline, each mounting two 12" guns (the 12"/50, I think).  I read
somewhere that when they took it out for its first test firing, there was
some concern that the ship might capsize when delivering a full broadside.

ami silberman

yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (ran el-Yaniv) (09/13/90)

From: ran el-Yaniv <yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

Thanks! The nickname list was very interesting! Luvly...

Question - does anyone recognize the following nickname? I way it once in a
book (which I no longer have), and it stuck.

	P-400 (a P-40 with a Zero on its tail).

yaniv