[sci.military] F vs A again

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: edat!brian@uunet.UU.NET (brian douglass personal account)
>The F-117A is not designed as a ground support aircraft, that is
>supporting the Army (I always thought it should mean Army instead of
>Attack).  Bombers belong to SAC, the F-117 belongs to TAC.  It is
>truly a Tacitical Bomber, versus Strategic or Attack.  Therefore
>F is the only designation available.

Nope, sorry, A would be perfectly valid for this.  It is a USAF myth
that "A" means ground support.  The Navy's A aircraft include both
tactical and strategic (!) bombers.  (Before anyone jumps on me for
this, the A-3 Skywarrior was a strategic bomber by deliberate design.
The only reason it is A rather than B is that the USAF has exclusive
rights to B. :-)  Indeed, the B-66 is a USAF-mutated A-3.)  The A-12
now under development is essentially the F-117 done bigger and better,
for the Navy.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry