[sci.military] F117 Self Defense Speculation

pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com (LAY ON GROUND. LIGHT FUZE. 14-Sep-1990 1720) (09/18/90)

From: "LAY ON GROUND. LIGHT FUZE.  14-Sep-1990 1720" <pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com>
Brian Douglass writes, in part:

>In article <1990Sep10.054013.5557@cbnews.att.com> Bob McCormick writes:
>>2) Has the Air Force released the list of weapons carried by the F-117A?
>>It has been noticably missing from the descriptions that I have read.

>I know that it carrys 2 2000lb bombs. MK-84s at least.  I do not know
>if it has Air- to-Air capability (Radar, Missle pylons) as most AA
>capability is not stealthy.  You're pretty obvious when your radar is
>on.
By some ODD COINCIDENCE 8)>>, my vacation took me past Offutt AFB, while a
Stealth was on display there.  Someone asked the pilot about self defense, his
response was, roughly:

	We can look after ourselves.  There are some classified weapons,
	unique to this airplane in there...

I would _speculate_ on monopulse radar, and/or IR targeting, and/or targeting
on emi emissions from the other a/c.  Receive mode (the last two...) is
reasonably stealthy.  If it's a missile system, the missile itself may, or may
not, be stealthy/radar_quiet...

(I gather I missed at least one s.m reader.  I was there Sunday....)

thanks
dave pierson			|the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Digital Equipment Corporation	|the opinions, my own.
600 Nickerson Rd
Marlboro, Mass
01752				pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com

"He has read everything, and, to his credit, written nothing."  A J Raffles