[sci.military] Strategic targets in Iraq

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (09/21/90)

From: texbell!letni!digi!digi.lonestar.org!user1 ("USER1")

In article <1990Sep12.014653.28548@cbnews.att.com> whh@PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) writes:

>One should also mention that the bombs were around 5 tons--far more
>explosize than any non-nuclear cruise missle carries.

However, be aware that the explosives of the day are superior to those
of WWII (in terms of yield to weight).  Also, our technology for
shaped charges is also better.  I am sure if the military decided to
they could come up with something like a HEAT warhead for a
cruise missile and hit the dam on the dry side below water level,
even just hitting the gates would do fairly well, which shouldn't
be that hard if the alleged accuracy of the cruise missiles is true.

Rick