[sci.military] Su-27

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (09/14/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
The Su-27 as the world's best fighter?!?!?!

There's only one interceptor in the world that can engage its targets in
excess of 100 nautical miles and that is the US Navy's F-14A+/D.  With
Sidewinder, AMRAAM, and Phoenix, coupled with the AWG-9 radar, the F-14
series is probably the most formidable air defense fighter in the world.

>From what I've read, the Su-27 is comparable in capablility to the
original F-16A, an aircraft that was never designed for air defense in
the first place.

MIDN 3/C Allan Bourdius
Carnegie Mellon University NROTC

u714092@eagle.larc.nasa.gov (prichard devon ) (09/18/90)

From: u714092@eagle.larc.nasa.gov (prichard devon )

   From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

   There's only one interceptor in the world that can engage its targets in
   excess of 100 nautical miles and that is the US Navy's F-14A+/D.  With
   Sidewinder, AMRAAM, and Phoenix, coupled with the AWG-9 radar, the F-14
   series is probably the most formidable air defense fighter in the world.

especially at that range, isn't the crucial point "how well can the radar
hop modes and still retain track and lock?" the return is probably so weak
that jamming is easy unless frequency hopping is used.  I think this is
the reason for the Russian prediliction towards monopulse radar.

you might want to check the stats on the F-15 and F-18; they both have
100+ mile radars... though realistically, the logistics of having enough
100 mile missiles (i.e. Phoenix) _and_ the ROE to use them _and_ the
success rate thereof, are such that this is not the most important point
in air defense.   having AWACS airspace control, visual target ID
(which the Tomcat _did_ pioneer), sufficient numbers of fighters and
missiles; that is what is needed.

 | Devon Prichard             making the world safe for helicopters ... |
 | u714092@eagle.larc.nasa.gov                                          |

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (09/20/90)

From: att!utzoo!henry
>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>There's only one interceptor in the world that can engage its targets in
>excess of 100 nautical miles and that is the US Navy's F-14A+/D...

Assuming, of course, that it has positive identification on the targets
at a range of 100 nmi.  Historically, this has seldom been possible in
real combat.

>From what I've read, the Su-27 is comparable in capablility to the
>original F-16A, an aircraft that was never designed for air defense in
>the first place.

Uh, really?  I wasn't aware that the F-16A was a heavy interceptor. :-)
Last I heard, the Su-27 was thought to have the biggest radar dish of
any fighter aloft, F-14 included, and range and warload to match.  Are
you thinking of the MiG-29, perhaps?

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

jumper@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) (09/24/90)

From: jumper@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham)
ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

>...the original F-16A, an aircraft that was never designed for air defense in
>the first place.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what you mean by an air defense plane, but...

The F-16A was originally intended as a tactical air superiority fighter with
no all-weather capability, no radar, no hard spots for bombs or other ground
ordinance, and without numerous other **improvments** the Air Force Systems
Command has so ladened the bird with.

The A version of the plane was several feet shorter than the current version,
had a smaller wing span, high turning rate, faster climbing rate, and was
all around what it was supposed to be---a dedicated air superiority fighter.

Systems command got a hold of the bird and careers started getting attached to
such a grand design.  A brand new "high tech" radar was added in to make it
have better interdiction capabilities.  But to accomplish adding in the radar,
an air conditioning unit for it also had to be installed.  Then lift
allowances called for a larger wing span and fuselage.  Once they had that,
Systems Command saw unused wing capacity so added additional hard spots for
bomb racks and ground sights.  But then the bird was too heavy so they
added a bigger engine.  Consequently we now have a plane that is *multi-
purpose* but no longer the superb air fighter it was, the Isralies
have found that it makes a poor tactical bomber, and it now costs (in real
dollars adjusted for inflation) some 4 times as much then was intended.

Sources: The Pentagon and the Art of War
	 Author: forgot but it is in our library
--
He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave.      --- Sir William Drummond

What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the