[sci.military] How to assault a tanker

jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW) (08/28/90)

From: jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW)
So, how do you stop a Very Large Crude Carrier from running a naval
blockade without setting it on fire or, worse, breaching the hull,
which could make the Exxon Valdez accident look like a Coppertone spill
in a hot tub?

I could think of:

*  Land Marines on the deck and see if the (presumed) military personnel
   on board run out of shoulder rockets before we run out of Chinooks.

*  Approach the stern by motorboat and attach a limpet mine to something
   associated with steering.  Disadvantages:  potential for breaching the
   hull; could use up SEALs at a pretty good clip.

*  Shoot off the steering apparatus from further away.  Disadvantage:
   penalty for a bad shot could be considerable.

*  Soften up the deckhouse with miniguns firing depleted-uranium projectiles
   before landing a boarding party.  Disadvantages: potential for fire;
   resemblance to murder would not help our image in the Arab world.

Obviously the Iraquis have been thinking about it as well. :)  Does anybody
have any ideas on how we might accomplish this?

--Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (08/29/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)

> From: jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW)
> So, how do you stop a Very Large Crude Carrier from running a naval
> blockade without setting it on fire or, worse, breaching the hull,
> which could make the Exxon Valdez accident look like a Coppertone spill
> in a hot tub?

In Viet Nam, Market Time units had several run-ins with 110-foot steel
trawlers, which they attempted to stop and board.  These all managed
to make it to the beach, although under fire from several PCFs and
82' WPBs (.50 cal plus 81mm mortars).  The lesson was that you needed
more firepower to STOP a vessel that made a determined dash for it.
3" guns (from DERs) were not enough, either.

Lately, in the Gulf of Mexico, a CG cutter attempted to stop a
freighter suspected of carrying drugs (don't recall the tonnage, but
I am sure it is less than a tanker).  They fired a considerable number
of 76mm rounds into the stern area in an attempt to disable the steering.
The freighter just kept right on going and made it into Mexican waters,
at which point the chase was halted.  I think the chase was in excess
of 20 miles.

So I would say this is not a particularly straight-forward job, depending
on (a) the willingness of the tanker master to take damage, and (b) the
willingness of the "allied" commander to do potentially lethal damage.
Simply shooting out the steering seems to be a low probability move.
Putting a boarding party on the ship from a small boat is possible, but
not enjoyable; maybe impossible if the boardees resist.

I like the helo idea.  For this you would need at least two helos capable
of carrying 6-8 Marines.  It would help if the helos had MGs to clear
the floating LZ if necessary.  Yes, there is plenty of room on the tanker
deck (watch out for antennae!).  I don't think the LAMPS I or II will
fill this bill.  I think this is the only way to stop a tanker in a
reasonably short time and distance.

As for sinking a tanker - not particularly easy to do.  Recall that one
hit a mine and barely lost a beat.  Iranians regularly pumped RPG7's
into tankers, with no particular damage other than cosmetic and an
occasional fire.  None were sunk, that I know of.

raymond%europa@uunet.UU.NET (Raymond Man) (08/30/90)

From: raymond%europa@uunet.UU.NET (Raymond Man)

How about having a fast boat trailing a wire rope or net along side the
tanker. Once the propellar caught the wire, probably it needs a dry
dock to untangle the mass.

Just call me `Man'.
"And why take ye thought for "    --   Matt. 6:28
raymond@jupiter.ame.arizona.edu

lewis@saint (Keith Lewis) (08/30/90)

From: lewis@saint (Keith Lewis)

In article <1990Aug28.042834.29477@cbnews.att.com> jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW) writes:
>So, how do you stop a Very Large Crude Carrier from running a naval
>blockade without setting it on fire or, worse, breaching the hull,
>which could make the Exxon Valdez accident look like a Coppertone spill
>in a hot tub?

*  Land Marines on the deck and see if the (presumed) military personnel
*  Approach the stern by motorboat and attach a limpet mine to something
*  Shoot off the steering apparatus from further away.  Disadvantage:
*  Soften up the deckhouse with miniguns firing depleted-uranium projectiles

* Tear gas the helm/bridge.  If they can't see, they can't navigate.  Then
  put 'em in tow.

hkbirke@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (ENS Hal BirkelandUSN) (08/30/90)

From: hkbirke@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (ENS Hal BirkelandUSN)

Rather than trying to land a helo on the tanker deck, why not fly a
C-130 over at 30k feet and drop a SEAL team or two. They should have
no problems overcoming any typical crew, especially since a HALO drop
would provide no advance warning till they came over the gunwhales.

	I seem to recall that 2 teams held a key govt. building during
the Grenada medal-fest a few years back for a couple of days fending
off the Grenadian armor -- well its 2 or 3 APCs.

Who knows, maybe even one of them could pilot the tanker.

This in no way even attempts to represent any opinion of the USN or
DOD, it is just more mindless drivel from the keyboard of
--hal

hal@media-lab.media.mit.edu				hal@movies.mit.edu

No one would be foolish enough to claim any of my opinions, and they certainly
are not expressive of my employers...

--

terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker) (08/30/90)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <1990Aug28.042834.29477@cbnews.att.com> jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW) writes:

>From: jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW)
>So, how do you stop a Very Large Crude Carrier from running a naval
>blockade without setting it on fire or, worse, breaching the hull,
>which could make the Exxon Valdez accident look like a Coppertone spill
>in a hot tub?

The standard technique regularly used with success by the Coast Guard
is to use MG fire at the stern of the vessel to disable the steering
gear.  The hull of a ship is not thick, so heavy ordnance is not
required.  This type of mission, disabling a larger ship, is also one
of the reasons the deck-mounted 81mm mortar was developed.  It gave
the patrol boats a large caliber weapon, and that had a recoil the
deck could handle.  Generally, the cargo is well removed from the
stern of the ship so the danger of breaching storage tanks is small.

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu

wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford) (08/30/90)

From: wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford)
In article <foobar> jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW) writes:
>From: jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW)
>So, how do you stop a Very Large Crude Carrier from running a naval
>blockade without setting it on fire or, worse, breaching the hull,
>which could make the Exxon Valdez accident look like a Coppertone spill
>in a hot tub?

  [Various suggestions deleted, to save space.]

>Obviously the Iraquis have been thinking about it as well. :)  Does anybody
>have any ideas on how we might accomplish this?

  This came up in a Fredrick Forsythe novel (The Devil's Alternative?);
I've since forgotten how it was resolved, though I recall that a number of
alternatives were discussed.
  I think it necessary that any assault of a tanker will have severe limits
on the weaponry used, for obvious reasons.  Penetration is a main worry
of police, in an urban theatre, and they don't have to worry about a
stray round launching everyone into orbit...  API is out!
  No doubt the team would use weapons and ammo would be selected for
safety, as much as is possible; low-velocity hollowpoint rounds and
shotguns both suggest themselves.  Does anyone know what the current SWAT
favorites might be?  This can be viewed as a 'barricaded with hostages'
situation, and SWAT teams get more real-world practice than the Special
Ops folks.
  I am personally inclined to think that the best approach is underwater,
given that a tanker won't have the detection systems to prevent frogmen or
microsubs from surprising the crew.  Ideally, one would like the Special
Ops team to take the ship with as little fuss and bother as possible, to
minimize the likelyhood of the opposition preparing a surprise (bombs,
dumping cargo, etc.).

"Never precede any maneuver with a              wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com
comment more predictive than 'Watch this!'"  (Anonymous)

terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker) (08/31/90)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <1990Aug29.014734.8196@cbnews.att.com> cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) writes:

>From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
>
>So I would say this is not a particularly straight-forward job, depending
>on (a) the willingness of the tanker master to take damage, and (b) the
>willingness of the "allied" commander to do potentially lethal damage.
>Simply shooting out the steering seems to be a low probability move.
>Putting a boarding party on the ship from a small boat is possible, but
>not enjoyable; maybe impossible if the boardees resist.
>
>I like the helo idea.  For this you would need at least two helos capable
>of carrying 6-8 Marines.  It would help if the helos had MGs to clear
>the floating LZ if necessary.  Yes, there is plenty of room on the tanker
>deck (watch out for antennae!).  I don't think the LAMPS I or II will
>fill this bill.  I think this is the only way to stop a tanker in a
>reasonably short time and distance.

Actually, the Marines are not trained for this mission.  The problem
with a helicopter approach is that it is very noisy.  If the tanker is
determined to fight the boarding, the crew can turn the tanker towards
shore, or even into other shipping, jam the throttles and helm, and
then the crew can fight or even leave the ship.  The boarding force
Marines, SEALS, or whomever will then be left with an empty ship
standing into a collision or grounding.  If the crew puts up a fight,
the boarders will probably not have enough time to disable the ship to
prevent it from grounding or going bump in the night.

The way the Malaysian/Indonesian pirates do this same task off
Singapore is to approach the ship from behind at night.  A boarding
ladder is put over the rail (using a pole), the pirates can then board
quietly.  Against an alert crew, it would be possible to
distract/eliminate any stern sentry before the boarding is attempted.
Off course when the first shot is fired, personnel below decks could
still jam throttles and steering, but they would have less time.

Another problem with either approach are simple countermeasures.
Light cable can strung across the open areas of the deck, which could
ensnare the choppers.  Nets and cables can be rigged to impede the
boarders of they try to insert by reppeling from the chopper.
Similarly lines and other objects can be towed astern that would cause
havoc with any light craft attempting to sneak up astern.

These problems and more are why the preferred method is to shoot at
the steering gear, and/or the bridge (granted nether are always
successful).

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu

budden@trout.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) (08/31/90)

From: budden@trout.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)

First a couple of technical corrections.  The freighter that got away
into Mexican waters from Cuba was fired into by a Coast Guard 110
foot patrol boat.  Those guys carry .50 cal, not 76mm.  However,
the 50 would have done a satisfactory job had the intent been to
stop the ship with no legal/political strings attached.  For
this class of vessel (~200 feet), a 50 will make more than enough
of a mess in the engine room to stop a vessel (and usually turn it
into a sinker).

On the other hand, a tanker is a somewhat different target.  The
analogy doesn't hold.  The .50 routine will do a convincing
job to the pilothouse and any people up there.  But the engineroom
is far enough below the waterline (assume we are loaded here, not
in ballast) that disabling fire from any size ballistic weapon is
touchy.  (also assuming we don't want to breach oil tanks).
     I think my weapon of choice would be an acoustic torpedo,
probably an ASW rather than heavy one.  Acoustic because it goes
for screw noise.  And ASW-sized for limited damage.
     Problem is that the tanker is now your problem.  So you sieze
a DIW oil tank.  Now whaddya do with it?  Could be a loooong tow.

Rex Buddenberg

chamber@ee.udel.edu (Sam Chamberlain) (09/13/90)

From: Sam Chamberlain <chamber@ee.udel.edu>

>From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)
>are you seriously suggesting dropping a SEAL team on a moving tanker???
>
>for a stationary target this might (ha-ha) be feasible... but a moving
>tanker?  this is ludicrous.
>
>critical assumptions:
>
>	1] how many jumpers land on the target?  enough to secure it?
>	2] weather conditions... must be *PERFECT*
>	3] target acquisition must be *PERFECT*
>
>i don't think it is feasible...

Actually, the question of how to assault a tanker is an old one.  In 1978 I
had a discussion with a friend in the special forces who was a member of the
precursor to the Delta Team. They were trying to land on RB-15 rubber boats,
at night, after a 7,000+ ft HALO jump. Apparently, they were successful.
Modern, high-performance chutes have quite remarkable capabilities.

Sam Chamberlain

gwh%tornado.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (09/14/90)

From: gwh%tornado.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)

In article <1990Sep6.154605.25887@cbnews.att.com> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>>Rather than trying to land a helo on the tanker deck, why not fly a
>>C-130 over at 30k feet and drop a SEAL team or two. They should have
>>no problems overcoming any typical crew, especially since a HALO drop
>>would provide no advance warning till they came over the gunwhales.
>
>Such faith in our armed forces! I saw "Navy SEALS" too and they didn't do
>that in the movie ;-)

Pardon injection of some reality into this discussion, but the deck of a
tanker is among the most cluttered surfaces on the face of this planet.  There
are pipes, walkways, machinery...you name it, it's not flat.  This makes it a
hard enough place to land a helicopter, nonetheless a parachutist at night.

  == George William Herbert ==   *******************************************
 == JOAT for Hire: Anything, ==  * Warning: This Person Contains Chemicals *
=======Anywhere, My Price======= * Which are Known to Cause Cancer,  Birth *
 ==   gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu   ==  ******** Defects, and Brain Damage! *******
  ==     ucbvax!ocf!gwh     == The OCF Gang:  Making Tomorrow's Mistakes Today

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (09/14/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
The easiest way to get SEALs, Marine Force Recon, or any other special
force onto a moving target with little or no chance of detection would
be by submarine.  A HAHO (High Altitude, High Opening) drop would
probably be the only parachute option that would be feasible because
HAHO allows the jumpers to parafly accurately (they carry navigation
computers that could have a satellite link) for distances of over thirty
miles.  I recall reading that one option for a hostage rescue in a
building in a hostile area would be to parafly the team to the roof.
The roof of a building is a lot smaller than a tanker.  Granted, it's
not moving, but how far can a tanker move from the time from drop to
landing?  At best when loaded tankers make 12-14kts.

MIDN 3/C Allan Bourdius
Carnegie Mellon NROTC

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (09/18/90)

From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

In article <1990Sep13.012827.17691@cbnews.att.com% chamber@ee.udel.edu (Sam Chamberlain) writes:
%
%Actually, the question of how to assault a tanker is an old one.  In 1978 I
%had a discussion with a friend in the special forces who was a member of the
%precursor to the Delta Team. They were trying to land on RB-15 rubber boats,
%at night, after a 7,000+ ft HALO jump. Apparently, they were successful.
%Modern, high-performance chutes have quite remarkable capabilities.
%
%Sam Chamberlain

may we assume that the rb-15's were co-operating???

/***   woody   ****************************************************************
*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/

u714092@eagle.larc.nasa.gov (prichard devon ) (09/18/90)

From: u714092@eagle.larc.nasa.gov (prichard devon )

   From: gwh%tornado.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)

   Pardon injection of some reality into this discussion, but the deck of a
   tanker is among the most cluttered surfaces on the face of this planet.  There
   are pipes, walkways, machinery...you name it, it's not flat.  This makes it a
   hard enough place to land a helicopter, nonetheless a parachutist at night.

who said anything about _landing_ a helicopter?? even out in the field,
classic doctrine is to hover at about 3' skid height.  this way, the rotor
stays loaded and controllable, skids don't get hung up on foliage (or deck
hardware). alternatively, one can rappel, or faster yet, fast-rope. fast-roping
is an insane maneuver where a big (maybe 3" diameter) fuzzy rope is hung
from the helicopter, and troops slide down it, gripping it with gloved
hands. speed of descent controlled with grip pressure.  takes a lot of
practice, nerve, and trust in the guy above you.  it is do-able, however,
and I'm sure our SOF does it routinely by now.

the difficulty with helicopter ops are with wind eddies behind structures
(probably not a problem with a steaming tanker, with deckhouse far aft),
and various cable stays & antennas well above deck level.  however, this
is lots easier than trying to land a sufficient number of parachutists
on the same tanker at nearly the same time...

 | Devon Prichard             making the world safe for helicopters ... |
 | u714092@eagle.larc.nasa.gov                                          |

worden@decwrl.dec.com (Dennis Worden) (09/24/90)

From: voder!nsc!dtg.nsc.com!worden@decwrl.dec.com (Dennis Worden)

With regard to landing "a parachutist" on the deck of a ship:

>Pardon injection of some reality into this discussion, but the deck of a
>tanker is among the most cluttered surfaces on the face of this planet.  There
>are pipes, walkways, machinery...you name it, it's not flat.  This makes it a
>hard enough place to land a helicopter, nonetheless a parachutist at night.

After 1800 skydives using modern "square" parachutes I do know that the difficulty
lies totally in the darkness, not the accuracy of the landing, provided that the
effective ground speed at landing (ship's speed relative to any headwind) is less
than about 20 mph (a significant assumption!!)  1989 US National Accuracy Champion
deadcenter (less than 1 cm error) a target 6 times in a row.

The problems here are in the wind speed and direction with regard to the ship
and the ambient lighting.  Its a little late to arrive at the ship and realize
the the ship is doing 20 knots into a 20 knot headwind!!!  By the way, my
experience with night landings is that if there is any light, it is almost
easier than day landings because there is  really only one place to land, and
you had better not screw-up!!!  (<:>(