[sci.military] P-400

nassio%ssp23@das.harvard.edu (George Nassiopoulos) (09/25/90)

From: nassio%ssp23@das.harvard.edu (George Nassiopoulos)
> From: ran el-Yaniv <yaniv%shum.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>
> Thanks! The nickname list was very interesting! Luvly...
>
> Question - does anyone recognize the following nickname? I way it once in a
> book (which I no longer have), and it stuck.
>
>	P-400 (a P-40 with a Zero on its tail).

the following quote is from a illustration caption on p. 113 of:

	_The History of the U.S. Air Force_
	by David A. Anderton
	Published by Crescent Books

	"A joke in the Pacific theater was 'What's a P-400? answer - a
	P-40 with a Zero on it's tail.' What the joker seldom realized
	was that there was a P-400; it was the official AAF designation
	of [Bell, P-39] Airacobras passed back after rejection by the
	RAF, and still fitted with the British 20-mm. Hispano cannon."

George Nassiopoulos
nassio@cfa.harvard.edu