[sci.military] Infantry vs. Air Support -- Any problems?

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (09/13/90)

From: uunet!mcgp1!flak (Dan Flak)

In article <1990Sep10.053550.5189@cbnews.att.com> yamauchi@heron.cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:

>From: yamauchi@heron.cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi)
>
>Does the fact that the Army controls the infantry but the Air Force
>controls air support ever result in any problems?
>
>If an Army commander wants air support, but an Air Force commander
>decides that it's too risky or that his airpower could be better
>utilized other in other ways, are the ground troops just out of luck?

The Air Force "gives" the theater commander, so many ground
support sorties each day. Then, the subordinate Army commanders
"divvy" up the pie, ususally as far down as Corps and sometimes,
Division level.

>From there, it is apportioned more on an "as needed" basis.
Army G/S-3 (operations) at each level of command (usually as
far down as battalion) work with Air Force Air Liaison
Officers (ALOs) to determine the air support they need for
the next day's operations. They then submit these
"preplanned" requests up Army channels to the Direct Air
Support Center (DASC), a joint Army AF section in the Corps
headquarters. Higher headquarters monitor the request at
every step and can "nix" the air support in favor of using
Army Aviation Assetts (Attack Helos) or Artillery. Silence
at the intermediate eschelons implies consent.

For "immediate" air support, the S-3 consults with the ALO/FAC
who sends the request to the DASC via Air Force communications.
The decison for the sortie request is made at the DASC (Corps)
level.

The use of pre-authorized air support is a joint Army-AF
decision. Where the problems lie are in how much air the Air
Theater Commander gives the Ground Theater Commander.

>Do Air Force pilots resent being assigned to flying Warthogs on
>peripheral missions such as air support instead of flying Eagles on the
>Air Force's primary mission of air superiority?

Speaking from strictly personal point of view, I find ground
attack to be a very satisfying mission. Putting the bombs on
target and saving some "grunt's" neck (or other part of his
anatomy) is very rewarding. Philosophically, I belive that the
Air Force's ultimate customer is some 19 year-old PFC with an
M-16 on "point".
--
               United Federation of Anarchists - Seattle Chapter

yngla@ida.liu.se (Yngve Larsson) (09/14/90)

From: yngla@ida.liu.se (Yngve Larsson)
Does anybody know how the Soviets partition their air assets? I seem
to recall areas such as "Frontal Aviation" (tactical air), "Long-range
Aviation" (i.e. their SAC), "Naval Aviation" (mostly long-range
anti-shipping) and [some term I cannot recall] for Air defense of the
SU (against strategic strikes, presumably).

Is this "Frontal aviation" subordinated to the army at any level (Division,
Army or Front), thus giving ground commanders more control of air support?

As a side note: here in Sweden, my understanding is that the entire military
defense is divided into several self-contained Military Districts (in a
war situation, that is). These all have integral ground, air and naval assets
at their disposal. If this _really_ gives better coordination between
ground and air is anybodys guess, I suppose.
--
Yngve Larsson                               UUCP: ...mcvax!enea!liuida!yla
Dept of CIS                                       Internet: yla@ida.liu.se

yamauchi@lime.cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (09/14/90)

From: yamauchi@lime.cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi)
In article <1990Sep12.014534.28254@cbnews.att.com>, ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Allan Bourdius) writes:

> Since the USAF is planning to junk the A-10 in favor of a modified F-16,
> the A-16, it's clear that they don't take the CAS mission very seriously.

Well, the A-10 does have that impressive cannon, but I would assume that
the A-16 would be much faster and much more maneuverable -- of course,
that may be less important for an attack aircraft than for a fighter.
The F-16 also seems like a much "sexier" aircraft from the Air Force's
POV (supersonic, highly maneuverable, fly-by-wire, etc.) while the A-10
seems decidedly low-tech (albeit effective).  Perhaps, that had
something to do with it.

What are the other advantages/disadvantages of the A-16 relative to the A-10?

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford) (09/14/90)

From: wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford)
>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>Since the USAF is planning to junk the A-10 in favor of a modified F-16,
>the A-16, it's clear that they don't take the CAS mission very seriously.

  Can this be true?  The A-10 gets more favorable comments on this newsgroup
than any other piece of military hardware; who in their right mind would
take it out of service?
  (Please, no comments about the Unimaginably Stupid Air Farce.)

(Humorous quote deleted for security reasons)     wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com

tobin@uunet.uu.net (Mike Tobin) (09/14/90)

From: pyrdc!eagle!tobin@uunet.uu.net (Mike Tobin)

The real problem with the AF doing the CAS for the Army is not so much
in the execution of the mission but in the development and aquisition of
the weapons to perform the mission.

The A-10 pilots who fly the missions are as gungho as any fighter jocks
I've ever seen, so are the guys who fly dual role aircraft.

Once the decision is made that an aircraft or unit is assigned the CAS
role they work for the Army.  All their tasking come from the Army.  The
job is handled by AF personnel assigned to each Army echelon.  CAS support
requests are handled just about like arty fire support requests.  The
difference is that the resouces come from an AF fighter squadron instead
of an Army arty unit.  The AF guys at the bottom of the request chain live
in the boonies with "their" Army unit and their survival is tied to it.

The problems occur before the aircraft and the people to support them
get assigned the mission.  Every $ and person that does CAS won't be
available to do the "real" AF missions, so in the give and take of
budget process the AF tries harder when it comes to buying and
developing aircraft for air superiority and interdiction.

The Army will have trouble getting the AF to develope and procure a CAS
aircraft.  They'll have trouble getting the AF commanders to assign dual
role aircraft to the CAS mission.  But once the assets are assigned, the
AF troops are going to try as hard as anybody to get the job done.

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (09/18/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

In article <1990Sep10.053550.5189@cbnews.att.com>, yamauchi@heron.cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:

> From: yamauchi@heron.cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi)
>
> Does the fact that the Army controls the infantry but the Air Force
> controls air support ever result in any problems?

  Of course.  That's one of the major problems - coordination of
  "Close Air Support".  On Division and Corps Staffs there are a couple
  of folks called "G3 Air" and "G2 Air".  They're Army officers tasked
  to plan and coordinate Air Support (G3 Air:  Ground Attack.  G2 Air:
  Recce).  Fortunately, the Air Force sees fit to assign some Air Force
  officers to the Division/Corps called;  ALO (Air Liaison Officer) and
  ARLO (Air Recce Liaison Officer).  Dreaded duty for a fighter jock to
  be assigned to the muddy boot Army but 'critical' to their careers.

  ALOs are also assigned to Brigades and Battalions.  In a Mech/Arm unit,
  Air Forces ALOs operate out of Armored Personnel Carriers (cruel joke,
  what?).

  Therefore, the Army guys PLAN for the use of Air and the ALOs actually
  "Frag" the mission and talk to the pilots (sorta like a ground FAC if
  no airborne FAC is present).

> If an Army commander wants air support, but an Air Force commander
> decides that it's too risky or that his airpower could be better
> utilized other in other ways, are the ground troops just out of luck?

  It's all based on sortie generation and sortie regeneration - ie availability
  of aircraft and types of missions to be flown.  The main attack/defense
  gets the priority for air support.  Secondary missions get what is left.

  For example;  The Air Force Commander says he can generate '100' air
  sorties today for Army support.  Army commander then allocates those
  missions - may give his 'main' division 75 sorties and 25 sorties to
  'secondary' division.  The G3 Air & ALO work together to determine targets
  for "preplanned" missions and what 'air' will be held for "on call"
  missions.

  Risky?  The Air commander will get a bad report card if he allows his
  fighters into high threat areas and gets them all shot down on their
  first sortie.  He'll be reluctant to enter high AAA/SAM threat areas.
  He also wants 'Air Superiority'.  Meaning he'll allocated his F15/F16s
  in air-to-air role to protect his A10 ground attacks.

  So, yes, if he does not have control of the air, if he can't generate
  ground attack sorties, if someone else has priority - then the ground
  troops are just out of luck (go call for artillery).

> Do Air Force pilots resent being assigned to flying Warthogs on
> peripheral missions such as air support instead of flying Eagles on the
> Air Force's primary mission of air superiority?

  There's no real answer for this.  It's like trying to compare Armor vs
  Infantry, Airborne vs Leg, Destroyers vs Submarines.........

  I've known pilots that don't care what they fly....as long as they can
  fly.  I'd guess F15 pilots don't want to drive a "Hog" - but I've also
  known many a "Hog" driver that wouldn't trade their A10 for anything.

  Whatever turns you on....................

  mts

adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (09/24/90)

From: Adrian Hurt <adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk>

In article <1990Sep14.042521.1038@cbnews.att.com> yamauchi@lime.cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:

>Well, the A-10 does have that impressive cannon, but I would assume that
>the A-16 would be much faster and much more maneuverable -- of course,
>that may be less important for an attack aircraft than for a fighter.
>The F-16 also seems like a much "sexier" aircraft from the Air Force's
>POV (supersonic, highly maneuverable, fly-by-wire, etc.) while the A-10
>seems decidedly low-tech (albeit effective).  Perhaps, that had
>something to do with it.
>
>What are the other advantages/disadvantages of the A-16 relative to the A-10?

The main advantage of the A-10 is that it can get hit hard and survive.  All
this speed and manoeuvrability doesn't help much when you're making your
attack run and someone fires a 23mm cannon at you, especially as you
probably have to slow down during the attack anyway.  Having lots of armour,
and being able to fly home with half your control surfaces missing, does
help.

 "Keyboard?  How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (09/24/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

In article <1990Sep14.042342.630@cbnews.att.com>, yngla@ida.liu.se (Yngve Larsson) writes:

> From: yngla@ida.liu.se (Yngve Larsson)
> Does anybody know how the Soviets partition their air assets? I seem
> to recall areas such as "Frontal Aviation" (tactical air), "Long-range
> Aviation" (i.e. their SAC), "Naval Aviation" (mostly long-range
> anti-shipping) and [some term I cannot recall] for Air defense of the
> SU (against strategic strikes, presumably).

  The Soviet Air Force (VVS - Voenno Vozdushnye Sily) has three primary arms:
      Frontal Aviation (Frontovaya Aviatsiya)
      Long-Range Aviation (Dal'naya Aviatsiya)
      Air Transport (Voenno-Transportnaya Aviatsiya)

  and two secondary arms:
      Fighter Aviation/Air Defense Command
      Naval Aviation

> Is this "Frontal aviation" subordinated to the army at any level (Division,
> Army or Front), thus giving ground commanders more control of air support?

      Normally, only at 'Front' Level will a 'ground commander' also command
      the air forces.  For instance, the CINC GSFG's forces include not only
      the ground Armies but also the 16th Tactical Air Army.

      Frontal Aviation is divided into sixteen Tactical Air Armies.  An Air
      Army is divided into divisions - each with a specific role (bomber,
      fighter, recce, etc).  Each Air Division is comprises three regiments,
      each regiment operating a single type aircraft.  Each regiment has
      three squadrons - 12 aircraft make up a squadron.

   I suspect that, even though recent Soviet military publications expound on
   close cooperation between air and ground forces ("all arms coordination")
   that it's not very successful and/or too unwieldy to ever be very
   successful.

       mike schmitt

34X3TAN%CMUVM.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu (10/01/90)

From: <34X3TAN%CMUVM.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu>
Amen to that brother, the old thud is probably one of the most effective
 attack aircraft in exhistance for trashing tanks.
It is one of my favorites...