[sci.military] Conventional warheads on ICBMs?

pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott) (10/01/90)

From: pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott)
Didn't see this appear in the group last time I posted it
(xrn crashed just as I was posting, must be the reason), so here
it is again: prompted by the events in the middle east and the
time it's taking to get troops and materiel over there, I found
myself wondering whether ICBMs could be rearmed with conventional
warheads and used against strategic targets in Iraq?  After all,
it's an alternative to destroying the launchers (which happens
when arms reduction treaties are signed), there's no 'N'-word
stigma, and they are accurate enough by now to take out a
chem factory, right?  If we'd been attacked in Saudi Arabia in
the early days after the invasion of Kuwait, could we have
read off lat/long of targets from satellite recon and taken
them out?

--
This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs@aristotle.jpl.nasa.gov)

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (10/03/90)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

>From: pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott)
>time it's taking to get troops and materiel over there, I found
>myself wondering whether ICBMs could be rearmed with conventional
>warheads and used against strategic targets in Iraq?  After all,
>it's an alternative to destroying the launchers (which happens
>when arms reduction treaties are signed), there's no 'N'-word
>stigma, and they are accurate enough by now to take out a
>chem factory, right?  If we'd been attacked in Saudi Arabia in
>the early days after the invasion of Kuwait, could we have
>read off lat/long of targets from satellite recon and taken
>them out?

  BAD idea!  Sure, our ICBMs have a CEP of a couple hundred
yards -- plenty sufficient if you have a big enough warhead
on the thing.  Of course, you incur a number of other problems:

	1:  Targeting -- ICBMs are specified for a certain
		RV design; to make a conventional warhead
		of the same dimensional properties of a
		nuke would make a very small yield warhead.
		Besides, you could be sacrificing some
		accuracy in changing the parameters of the
		PBV load.

	2:  Cost -- Why use a $10 million-plus weapon to do
		a job that can be accomplished just as
		easily with a $3 million cruise missile?

	3:  (and most important of all) Destabilization --
		Don't forget that Iraq is awful close to the
		Soviet Union....  In fact, RVs on a great
		circle trajectory would go right over the
		pole (AND Soviet airspace) en route to
		Iraq.  Now, Glasnost and Perestroika are
		neat things, but try convincing Moiseyev and
		his cronies in the Strategic Rocket Forces
		that the Imperialistic Capatalist Dogs aren't
		launching a preemptive strike against the
		Fatherland while the missiles are in the air.
		You'd have SS-18s on their way to the Big
		Apple before you could say Armageddon!

  |\/\/\/\/|
  |        |
  |        |
  |   (o)(o)
  c        _)
   | ,____/
   |    /
  /______\            "Don't have a cow, man!"

-shane d deichman

eesnyder@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) (10/03/90)

From: boulder!boulder!eesnyder@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Eric E. Snyder)

In article <1990Oct1.022048.3082@cbnews.att.com> pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott) writes:

>From: pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott)
>...I found
>myself wondering whether ICBMs could be rearmed with conventional
>warheads and used against strategic targets in Iraq?  After all,
>it's an alternative to destroying the launchers (which happens
>when arms reduction treaties are signed),
>and they are accurate enough by now to take out a
>chem factory, right?

That would be just like the US military, use a $100,000,000 missile
to deliver a $10,000 bomb! :-)

While it is an appealing idea (one that crossed my mind), it certainly
is not cost effective.  Cruise missiles are arguably much more accurate
and certainly less expensive.

Regarding treaty mandated destruction of missiles: I would like to
see ICBMs refitted to launch satellites.... they are more expendable
than space shuttles.

more line noise from...
TTGATTGCTAAACACTGGGCGGCGAATCAGGGTTGGGATCTGAACAAAGACGGTCAGATTCAGTTCGTACTGCTG
Eric E. Snyder
Department of MCD Biology            We are not suspicious enough
University of Colorado, Boulder      of words, and calamity strikes.
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0347
LeuIleAlaLysHisTrpAlaAlaAsnGlnGlyTrpAspLeuAsnLysAspGlyGlnIleGlnPheValLeuLeu

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (10/03/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
I find it highly unlikely that conventional warheads exist for
ICBM's/SLBM's.  Besides, if we want pinpoint accuracy on strategic
targets, why not use a submarine, surface, or air launched Tomahawk
cruise missile with TERCOM guidance.  They have a range exceeding 1,000
nm and their accuracies (as I've read in AW&ST) are usually measured in
inches, not feet.  The TERCOM Tomahawks are usually armed with nuclear
warheads, but the anti-ship warhead or the cluster munition warhead
would be devestating to any kind of fixed position.

Launching ballistic missiles would be pretty dangerous.  I think we'd
have to clear that with the Soviets, especially since any missiles
launched from the Continental US would have to overfly Soviet airspace.
Nobody really wants to ever fire a ballistic missile from land or sub
unless it's in a declared test range.  The consequence of an accidental
nuclear exchange is just too great.

--Allan
MIDN 3/C (PLCJR) Allan Bourdius, Carnegie Mellon University NROTC
"Retreat hell!  We just got here!"          ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu
The opinons expressed in this letter/posting do not, nor are in any way
intended to, represent the official policies and positions of the Department
of Defense, the Department of the Navy, the United States Marine Corps
or the United States Navy; so there!

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott)
>... wondering whether ICBMs could be rearmed with conventional
>warheads and used against strategic targets in Iraq? ...

Based on unclassified reports, the average error is still high by the
standards of non-nuclear bombing.  It would be an exceedingly expensive
and haphazard way of delivering conventional explosives.  Aircraft are
a better choice.

There might also be a practical problem in that the necessary targeting
information may not be available.  Aiming ICBMs requires great precision,
including very precise mapping and detailed knowledge of the Earth's
gravitational field.  (I seem to recall hearing that one of the less
conspicuous but more important parts of the early US ICBM program was
the first real attempt to do intercontinental geodetic surveys, so
that the distance to, say, Moscow could be determined precisely enough
to aim an ICBM at it!)  It would not surprise me if this information was
not available for the entire world, but had been gathered only for areas
thought likely to be of interest for ICBM attack.

A last problem, not entirely technical, is that people have a tendency
to get upset when they see incoming ICBMs. :-)  That would certainly be
an effective way of finding out how well those Scuds really work, but
Israel and Saudi Arabia might not appreciate being used as test cases.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott)
>... wondering whether ICBMs could be rearmed with conventional
>warheads and used against strategic targets in Iraq? ...
>... If we'd been attacked in Saudi Arabia in
>the early days after the invasion of Kuwait, could we have
>read off lat/long of targets from satellite recon and taken
>them out?

My technical objections to this, in my previous contribution on the subject,
occupied me to the point where I overlooked the more fundamental flaw that
I've orated about before:  this is *yet another* proposal to Win The War
With Strategic Bombing, an idea that didn't work in WWII and won't work
in the Persian Gulf.  Attacks on strategic targets in Iraq wouldn't even
slow down an attack on Saudi Arabia.  The supplies and equipment needed
for the attack would already be at the front.