[sci.military] Aircraft Nicknames

baldwin@usna.NAVY.MIL (J.D. Baldwin.) (09/13/90)

From: baldwin@usna.NAVY.MIL (J.D. Baldwin.)

jem3@pyuxf.bellcore.com (John E McKillop):

>The following is reprinted without permission from AIR FORCE magazine.
>
>WHAT THEY REALLY CALLED THEM
>
>EA-6, Grumman Intruder/Prowler = Sterile Arrow

There are two different aircraft combined here:  the A-6 Intruder, which I
have never heard referred to as anything but "Intruder"--and the EA-6B
Prowler.  In twelve years of active USN service--four and a half with wings
--I have never heard the term "Sterile Arrow."

Everyone knows they're called "Queers."
--
 From the catapult of:              |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _, J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

bxr307@csc.anu.oz.au (09/13/90)

From: bxr307@csc.anu.oz.au
In article <1990Sep11.024414.14310@cbnews.att.com>, jem3@pyuxf.bellcore.com (John E McKillop) writes:

> WHAT THEY REALLY CALLED THEM

> CH-47, Boeing Chinook = Sh*thook; and Hook

	This helicopter is know here in Oz by its rythming slang name of

"Angry Chook" - Chinook  ("chook" in OZspeak = Chicken in USspeak. In
otherwords a bird that flys although it would rather not if at all possible! :-)

Brian Ross

lang@hpfcso.fc.hp.com (John J. Lang) (09/14/90)

From: lang@hpfcso.fc.hp.com (John J. Lang)

From: jem3@pyuxf.bellcore.com (John E McKillop)

> F-4, McDonnell Phantom II = Double Ugly; Rhino; and Old Smokey

I have also heard this called Aardvark.

Great list, thanks for posting it.

John Lang

adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (09/18/90)

From: Adrian Hurt <adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk>

In article <1990Sep11.024414.14310@cbnews.att.com> jem3@pyuxf.bellcore.com (John E McKillop) writes:
>B-36, Convair Peacemaker = Aluminum Overcast; and Magnesium Overcast
>C-124, Douglas Globemaster II = Aluminum Overcast; and Old Shaky
>F-15, McDonnell Douglas Eagle = Great Bird Rodan; Big Bird; Tennis Court
>   (a match could be played on its fuselage and wings); and Aluminum
>   Overcast

So, which one is the real Aluminum Overcast?  :-)

>F-117, Lockheed = The Black Jet; Nighthawk; Frisbee; and F-19 (NOTE:
>  "Wobbly  Goblin" is purely a media creation)

I thought F-19 was the code applied to the fictitious (?) curvy stealth
aircraft, as depicted in several models and a computer game.

>EA-6, Grumman Intruder/Prowler = Sterile Arrow

The A-6 is the Intruder; the EA-6, the ECM version of the A-6, is the
Prowler.  Which is the "Sterile Arrow"?

>Focke-Wulf FW-190D = Dora; and Ameisenbar (Anteater)

Also called "Langnase Dora" - "Long nose Dora".  The D version of the
FW 190 had a different engine from the earlier versions, and therefore
a longer nose.

 "Keyboard?  How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

military@cbnews.att.com (William B. Thacker) (09/20/90)

From: att!utzoo!henry
>From: Adrian Hurt <adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk>
>>B-36, Convair Peacemaker = Aluminum Overcast; and Magnesium Overcast
>>C-124, Douglas Globemaster II = Aluminum Overcast; and Old Shaky
>>F-15, McDonnell Douglas Eagle = ... and Aluminum Overcast
>
>So, which one is the real Aluminum Overcast?  :-)

And from the UK, too.  For shame.  The "Aluminum Overcast" is the Avro
Vulcan; I've never heard any other aircraft given that nickname.

>>F-117, Lockheed = The Black Jet; Nighthawk; Frisbee; and F-19 ...
>I thought F-19 was the code applied to the fictitious (?) curvy stealth
>aircraft, as depicted in several models and a computer game.

As has been mentioned before, there is good reason to suspect that F-19
was the designation the angular one was meant to have.  "F-117" is a
violation of the official designation rules, and the USAF seldom skips
a designation number for the benefit of modellers and gamers.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (09/24/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Why would referring to the aircraft as "F-117" violate the rules?  If that's
true, then the USAF had better renumber the F/FB-111.  That plane first flew
on 21 Dec. 1964, 19 months after the F-4C joined operational squadrons.

It makes no difference if a number is out of sequence or not.  How many of you
know what the F-110 was?  What ever happened to the F-2, F-6, F-13?

MIDN 3/C Allan Bourdius
CMUNROTCU

military-request@att.att.com (09/24/90)

From: att!bcr!pyuxd!pyuxf!jem3
The A-6 is an attack aircraft and can carry a lot of ordinance
while the EA-6 does not carry armament, i.e., it's sterile.

As far as the Aluminum Overcast, the B-36 and C-124 were in
service at about the same time and both got the nickname.
Since they are both gone now, the name has been assigned to a
new aircraft.
| Jack McKillop              | Those who do not remeber the |
| Bellcore, Piscataway, NJ   | past are condemned to relive |
| WORK TEL: 908-699-6268     | it.                          |
| WORK FAX: 908-699-0908     |       Geo. Santayana         |

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (09/24/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
>>>F-15, McDonnell Douglas Eagle = ... and Aluminum Overcast

I always thought the F-15 was the "Twin-Tailed
Tennis Court."
Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

military-request@att.att.com (09/27/90)

From: att!utzoo!henry
>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>Why would referring to the aircraft as "F-117" violate the rules?  If that's
>true, then the USAF had better renumber the F/FB-111.  That plane first flew
>on 21 Dec. 1964, 19 months after the F-4C joined operational squadrons.

The numbering was wrapped around to the beginning after the F-111; there are
no legitimate F numbers higher than 111.  The F-4 was in Navy service before
it arrived in the USAF, and its number was chosen (as part of the unified
numbering scheme) to preserve as much similarity to its old Navy number as
possible.  Current F numbers are working past 23, with a suspicious gap at
19 as previously mentioned.

john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III) (09/27/90)

From: newave!john@uunet.UU.NET (John A. Weeks III)

> From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>

> Why would referring to the aircraft as "F-117" violate the rules?  If that's
> true, then the USAF had better renumber the F/FB-111.  That plane first flew
> on 21 Dec. 1964, 19 months after the F-4C joined operational squadrons.

> It makes no difference if a number is out of sequence or not.  How many of you
> know what the F-110 was?  What ever happened to the F-2, F-6, F-13?

The F-110 was built by MacDonnel and was called the "Phantom II".  F-110
was an Air Force number, while the Navy version was called the F4H-1.  When
the Air Force and Navy standarized thier aircraft numbering systems, the
number F-4 was chosen.

The F-111 was not really out of sequence.  The program started before the
great renumbering.  The F-110 became the F-4.  The F-109 was a Bell VTOL
fighter that was never produced. F-108 was a fighter companion to the
Valkyrie that never went beyond mock-up.  The F-107 lost to the F105 in
a fly-off.  The rest of the century series is fairly well know.

F-2 Banchee.  Korean war era fighter, produced by McDonnell.  Known as
the F2H and F2H-1 through F2H-4.

F-6 Skyray.  Post-Korean delta wing carrier based fighter, produced by
Douglas.  Known as the F4D-1 (1951).  Douglas tried to develop variants
known as the F5D Skylancer (1956) and the F6D Missileer (1960), but they
never caught on.  The F4D was based on the F3D Skyknight (1948), which
also never caught on very well.

F-13??  I could not find a listing for the F-13 anywhere.  I would not
blame Grumman for not wanting the Tomcat called F-13 being that it was
a "follow-on" to the ill-fated Navy version of the F-111.  There is
precedence for skipping numbers.  P-73 and P-74 were skipped.

The F-117 might not be out of sequence.  I have heard rumors that the
numbers F-112 to F-116 refer to various Mig and Su planes.  I wouldn't
even be surprized if the F-118 was a Mig-29...rumor has it that some of
the former Soviet allies would do anything more hard cash.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

umhudso7@ccu.umanitoba.CA (Wayne Hudson) (09/28/90)

From: Wayne Hudson <umhudso7@ccu.umanitoba.CA>

In article <1990Sep20.022328.15430@cbnews.att.com>  writes:
>From: att!utzoo!henry
>>From: Adrian Hurt <adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk>
>>>F-117, Lockheed = The Black Jet; Nighthawk; Frisbee; and F-19 ...
>>I thought F-19 was the code applied to the fictitious (?) curvy stealth
>>aircraft, as depicted in several models and a computer game.

>As has been mentioned before, there is good reason to suspect that F-19
>was the designation the angular one was meant to have.  "F-117" is a
>violation of the official designation rules, and the USAF seldom skips
>a designation number for the benefit of modellers and gamers.

But I thought the 'F-19' has turned out to be alot like the new (Lockheed?)
entry into the ATF competition (mach 2+, w/ some stealth capabilities).
It reportedly (haven't seen anything of it myself) has the same basic shape,
but differences in things like the tail being angled out instead of in (but
at the same angle...).  Anyone else?  There was speculation that Testors
acually HAD good spy info, just got the wrong company...

--
Wayne Hudson                "Optimism:the belief that everything will work out
- umhudso7@ccu.umanitoba.ca  fine. Irrational, bordering on insane" K9, Dr. Who

elec140@canterbury.ac.nz (10/03/90)

From: elec140@canterbury.ac.nz
In article <1990Sep28.014435.13932@cbnews.att.com>, umhudso7@ccu.umanitoba.CA (Wayne Hudson) writes:
> But I thought the 'F-19' has turned out to be alot like the new (Lockheed?)
> entry into the ATF competition (mach 2+, w/ some stealth capabilities).
> It reportedly (haven't seen anything of it myself) has the same basic shape,
> but differences in things like the tail being angled out instead of in (but
> at the same angle...).  Anyone else?  There was speculation that Testors
> acually HAD good spy info, just got the wrong company...

Sounds like you're talking about the YF-22 and YF-23 developmental ATF's.
Apparently they are capable of supersonic cruise (without afterburners) and
have 'semisteath' capabilities. If anyone wants to know more there has been a
discussion on these aircraft in sci.aeronautics, rec.aviation, and
rec.models.rc?! over the last week or so.

Chris Kaiser
Postgrad - Elec Eng Dept
Canterbury University
Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND

E.MAIL: c.kaiser@elec.canterbury.ac.nz
	"When you're fresh out of lawyers
 	 You don't know how good it's gonna feel"
		- Al Stewart, 1988