[sci.military] Tank Mobility

tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (09/29/90)

From: tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick)
I saw a news report recently that US tank mobility is
restricted by lack of tracked vehicles capable of carrying
fuel for purposes of refueling the tanks. Is this true?
If so, it's almost tragically humorous, since lack of
tracked vehicles was one of the main problems the Germans
had when invading Russia (see the works of Liddell-Hart
and Fuller, for example). 50 years later and the problem
still exists :-)

I've also heard that the US air force neglects airlift
capability in favor of fighters and bombers. Is there
a general lack of awareness of the importance of mobility
in the US military services?

Best,

      -Tom

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick)
>I saw a news report recently that US tank mobility is
>restricted by lack of tracked vehicles capable of carrying
>fuel for purposes of refueling the tanks. Is this true?
>If so, it's almost tragically humorous, since lack of
>tracked vehicles was one of the main problems the Germans
>had when invading Russia...   50 years later and the problem
>still exists :-)

Actually, this is yet another example of preparing to fight the previous
war.  For quite a while, the worst-case scenario for US Army planning has
been massive land war in Western Europe... where there are plenty of
all-weather roads.  Either nobody noticed that this wasn't the worst
case for logistics (which would surprise me), or else the issue got
relegated to a low priority since it wasn't important in the Official
Worst Case.

The Germans at least had the excuse of underestimating the opposition's
strength and thus hoping for quick victory... which is also why they did
not have proper winter clothing.

>I've also heard that the US air force neglects airlift
>capability in favor of fighters and bombers. Is there
>a general lack of awareness of the importance of mobility
>in the US military services?

I wouldn't say there is a general lack of awareness so much as a different
set of priorities.  The USAF is real big on mobility for fighters and
bombers. :-)  The problem with airlift is that it's mostly a case of
the USAF running an airline for the Army, and while the USAF jealously
hangs onto this mission to prevent the Army from getting uppity and
starting its own air force (again :-)), airlift does not get the priority
that the USAF's "own" missions get.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry