[sci.military] Dam Busters

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: cognos!geovision!pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin)
>I read BOTH versions of the book "The Dam Busters", the history of the
>617 squadron that did this raid.  The 1950s version of the book implied
>that the bombs were spherical, but the 1970s version, which "contains
>material not previously cleared for publication", shows that they were
>actually barrel shaped.  Anybody know why the British, would want to keep
>that a secret for so long? ...

I suspect it was just reflex secretiveness; the British are bad about that.
As I recall from a biography of Barnes Wallis, there is no great mystery
about the change:  the bombs were originally intended to be spherical, but
it turned out to be difficult to make a spherical casing that large using
existing facilities, and taking it in a bit at the waist :-) made production
much easier.
--
TCP/IP: handling tomorrow's loads today| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
OSI: handling yesterday's loads someday|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

simons@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU (Joshua Simons) (10/04/90)

From: think!simons@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU (Joshua Simons)
	Could someone please send me a complete reference for the
book about the Dam Busters? It sounds like a good idea for a
Christmas present.

	Thanks very much.

-josh simons

--