[sci.military] What ships are these?

thorn@mcnc.org (Jesse Thorn) (09/25/90)

From: godot.RadOnc.UNC.EDU!thorn@mcnc.org (Jesse Thorn)

I spent the weekend at Hampton, VA and was able to see various ships
across the bay in Norfolk. In particular, I saw 3 aircraft carriers,
and what appeared to be a battleship. Someone thought the bb was the
Iowa and that one of the carriers was the Eisenhower. Can anyone
identify  these vessels?

Jesse Thorn
thorn@godot.radonc.unc.edu

jumper@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) (09/27/90)

From: jumper@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham)

I do not know which particular ships are in port right now, but an easy
and relatively inexpensive way to find out would be to call Naval Base
Information and they can give you the phone number to the recording listing
all ships, subs, etc. in port.

BTW, next time you're there (in the Hampton Roads area) go by the Naval Base
and walk down the piers.  The Navy also has tours through ships on the
weekends I know and I think on the weekdays.  Base info will give you names
of the ships open to the public.

--
He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave.      --- Sir William Drummond

mc9e@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Matt Crispin) (09/27/90)

From: mc9e@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Matt Crispin)
In article <1990Sep25.004947.17462@cbnews.att.com> godot.RadOnc.UNC.EDU!thorn@mcnc.org (Jesse Thorn) writes:

>I spent the weekend at Hampton, VA and was able to see various ships
>across the bay in Norfolk. In particular, I saw 3 aircraft carriers,
>and what appeared to be a battleship. Someone thought the bb was the
>Iowa and that one of the carriers was the Eisenhower. Can anyone
>identify  these vessels?
>
>Jesse Thorn
>thorn@godot.radonc.unc.edu
I think I can. I was just down there dropping off a friend to his ship the LHA-2(USS Saipan). The carriers that are in are the Eisenhower, the Enterprise, and  at that time, the USS Abraham Lincoln. It sailed yesterday to it's new home portin San Francisco. The Iowa was also in, and the large kinda carrier-looking shipwith the big 2 on the island is the Saipan.

Hope this helps.

--
| Matthew S. Crispin      (IRC: MSC) |
| mc9e@dale.acc.virginia.edu         |

cr2r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christian M. Restifo) (09/28/90)

From: "Christian M. Restifo" <cr2r+@andrew.cmu.edu>
My father works on staff for COMSECONDFLT (Commander Second Fleet), and
I asked him to identify these ships.  The battleship was the Iowa.  The
carriers were the America, the Abraham Lincoln, and the Eisenhower.  The
Abraham Lincoln has already (or is soon going to be) moved to the west
coast.

-Chris Restifo
cr2r@andrew.cmu.edu
"What do you mean, 'Did I read The Hunt for Red October?' Hell, I LIVED
IT on a trident submarine.....".

jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW) (09/29/90)

From: jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW)
>The Abraham Lincoln has already (or is soon going to be) moved to the west
>coast.

According to a story in the local paper, she's currently on a shakedown
cruise en route to her homeport of Alameda, CA.  Before dropping anchor
here in Gomorrah-by-the-Faultline, she will call on the US Virgin Islands,
Rio de Janeiro, Valparaiso, and Long Beach, all of which ought to make for
a much happier madien voyage than, say, the Persian Gulf.

--Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"

gs@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Gregory R. Sudderth) (10/04/90)

From: voder!wlbr!awds14.imsd.contel.com!gs@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Gregory R. Sudderth)

	Could someone re-post (or send to me directly) the list
	of forces/hardware currently in the Middle East the that
	I saw a bit ago?  Is there an updated version...including
	the French/Egyptian new commitments etc?

	I want to use it for a source..to stock some gaming
	scenarios...

	Greg Sudderth.