[sci.military] A-10

christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson) (11/06/89)

From: christ@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Chris Thompson)

It was my impression that the GAU-8 was depressed abou 4-8 degrees from the
horizontal line of the aircraft.  If, then, the A-10 came in horizontally,
the slugs would still be able to strike the tops of AFV's, albeit at some
distance (I don't do trig problems on Sunday).
Any comments?

spiff@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Mark Schumann) (04/12/90)

From: spiff@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Mark Schumann)

	I was wondering, could anyone tell me what the A-10 "Thunderbolt 2"
is named after?  I vaguely remember a WW2 fighter named the Thunderbolt,
but Im not terribly familiar with WW2 aircraft...

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (04/14/90)

From: fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <15515@cbnews.ATT.COM>, spiff@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Mark Schumann) writes:

> 	I was wondering, could anyone tell me what the A-10 "Thunderbolt 2"
> is named after?  I vaguely remember a WW2 fighter named the Thunderbolt,
> but Im not terribly familiar with WW2 aircraft...

The Republic P-47, also called the "Jug", being built around a large radial
engine.

Main competitor among USAAF pilots with P-51 Mustang for title of best
fighter.

Lineal descendent of de Seversky fighter designs of the 1930's.

------------
"Up the airey mountain, down the rushy glen,
   we daren't go a-hunting for fear of little men..."
('cause Fish and Game has taken to hiring axe-carrying dwarves)

msmiller@glass.Eng.Sun.COM (Mark Miller) (04/14/90)

From: msmiller@glass.Eng.Sun.COM (Mark Miller)
|>From: spiff@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Mark Schumann)
|>
|>	I was wondering, could anyone tell me what the A-10 "Thunderbolt 2"
|>is named after?  I vaguely remember a WW2 fighter named the Thunderbolt,
|>but Im not terribly familiar with WW2 aircraft...

That would be the P-47 Thunderbolt. Also known as the "Jug". It was a big,
fast, tough SOB of a fighter in WW2. It ended up largely in a ground attack
role partly bacause it could carry a lot of stores (I think it had like
5 hardpoints) but also because they found that the P-51 kept shedding its
wings on high-speed bombing runs. I think the N version was capable of over
450 mph, but I don't have any reference stuff with me now.
	-MSM

Mark S. Miller      UUCP: msmiller@Sun.COM      "In a nation ruled by swine,
##################  GEnie: MSMILLER             all pigs are upward mobile."
######################################################  - Hunter S. Thompson

) (10/05/90)

From: ccastjr@prism.gatech.edu (COOOooOoooooOOOOoOOoOOooKIE!!!!!)

     When this whole thing with Iraq started, and the air force started sending over F-15 and F-16 fighters to handle it, I though "Oh no, they're gonna try to
prove that the A-16 works, and completely disown the A-10".
     Well, last night when I was watching the news, I saw an A-10 with desert
cammouflage flying past sand dunes...  Anyone have any information on the force
strength, unit, etc about the A-10 supporting Desert Sheild right now?

(this may be old news, I just hadn't seen anything about the A-10 being out
there yet).

John
--
   Emporers Thought for the Day:                |       John E. Rudd jr.
Only the insane have the strength to prosper;   |  ccastjr@prism.gatech.edu

dl3a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel Christopher Ladd) (10/08/90)

From: Daniel Christopher Ladd <dl3a+@andrew.cmu.edu>
According to an article in an old Air Force Times (late Aug.), either one or 2
squadron of A-10s from the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing based at Myrtle Beach, SCwere deployed to Saudi Arabia.  Of course, keeping with the DoD press guidelines, they didn't say exactly how many went or where they are being based over there.   It did say that one aircraft had problems after takeoff and turned around, but a designated spare went instead.  I think they flew to the U.K., then across
the med to Saudi Arabia, with a massive number of aerial refuelings by o
KC-10/135s.
   Also in Aviation Leak there was an article about how the engines had to be
hosed out every 500 hours or so to prevent dust buildup on the turbine blades.
This was stated to be s.o.p., since the cannon in the nose kicks out tons of dust and smoke.  I would imagine that there is less live-fire time over there, e
since they are trying to build up a logistical base.  The dust from the desert would make up for the lower amounts of gun smoke.

Dan Ladd
Army ROTC, Carnegie Mellon University/ University of Pittsburgh

phil@brahms.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (10/08/90)

From: phil@brahms.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai)
In article <1990Oct5.034038.294@cbnews.att.com> ccastjr@prism.gatech.edu (COOOooOoooooOOOOoOOoOOooKIE!!!!!) writes:
|(this may be old news, I just hadn't seen anything about the A-10 being out
|there yet).

Even the Chinese language newspaper here in the SF Bay area has
pictures of A-10s in the desert. (F-117 too). Unfortunately I can't
read Chinese so I can't tell you what they said.

--
The Bill of Rights isn't perfect, but it's better than what we have now.