[sci.military] No options in the oilfields but chemical warfare?

HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU (09/28/90)

From: HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
Last weekend Hussein was reported by the Iraqi news agency as having
stated that in the event of an attack several oilfields would be destroyed.
I argued in a previous posting that use of chemical weapons by the NATO
forces was highly probable.  A conventional war fought in the oilfields
could cause so much damage to plant (and therefore supplies) that Iraq
may as well keep Kuwait rather than risk a major world recession. I
certainly believe that this is a position being studied by the planners.
If so, only two options emerge (a) permit the annexation of Kuwait subject
to the policing of a nonaggression pact, or (b) attempt to saturate the
major fields with nerve gas and hope that minimum plant damage will occur.
I have a number of questions concerning (b).  Firstly, how feasible is
blanket bombing of chemical agents given the climatic conditions?
Secondly, how long would it take for their dispersal?

BTW, the last time I posted a query concerning the above I received
more than my yearly quota of abusive email.  Please, no abusive email
as it takes me time to read it (and correct spelling errors).

Jerry Harper:
Computer Science Department,University College Dublin,Dublin 4,IRELAND
harper@ccvax.ucd.ie

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (09/29/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
I find it highly unlikely that the US or any other allied nation would
employ chemical weaponry.  Chemical weapons would be extremely tricky to
use in a desert area because of the climate (lots of shifting winds).
We wouldn't want to have our own weapons blow back on ourselves.

--Allan
MIDN 3/C (PLCJR) Allan Bourdius
Carnegie Mellon University NROTC
"Retreat hell!  We just got here!"

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu
Box 4719
5125 Margaret Morrison St.
Pittsburgh, PA  15213
(412) 268-4632

The opinons expressed in this letter/posting do not, nor are in any way
intended to, represent the official policies and positions of the Department
of Defense, the Department of the Navy, the United States Marine Corps
or the United States Navy; so there!

FQV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (jim bowers) (10/01/90)

From: jim bowers <FQV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU>

In article <1990Sep28.014351.13736@cbnews.att.com>,
HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU says:
>Last weekend Hussein was reported by the Iraqi news agency as having
>stated that in the event of an attack several oilfields would be destroyed.

You really cannot destroy an oilfield.  Crude oil is widely dispersed
in an underground reservoir of permeable rock or sand and you have to
pump the stuff out.
You can't blow it up, even with an underground nuclear explosion
(actually this would probably increase the yield of the reservoir) and
there is nothing anyone can do to prevent someone from pumping out
the full potiential of the reservoir.

You can destroy the infrastructure (pumping wells, storage and
pipelines) but these are relatively cheap compared to the vast billions
underground.

rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie (10/03/90)

From: rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie
In article <1990Sep28.014351.13736@cbnews.att.com>, HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU writes:
> From: HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
> Last weekend Hussein was reported by the Iraqi news agency as having
> stated that in the event of an attack several oilfields would be destroyed.
> I argued in a previous posting that use of chemical weapons by the NATO
> forces was highly probable.  A conventional war fought in the oilfields
> could cause so much damage to plant (and therefore supplies) that Iraq
> may as well keep Kuwait rather than risk a major world recession.

Sounds pretty far-fetched to me. For one thing Iraq and Kuwait don't contribute
enough of the world's oil supply to cause a major world recession even if
supplies from both countries were totally cut off (which they are right now and
we haven't seen a major world recession). (Saudi Arabia does, which was why
there was such a panic when it looked like Hussein was going to invade it).
Second, destruction of plant is irrelevant - given a few months the whole lot
could be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost of the military action. Third,
nobody is going to start tossing chemical weapons around unless Hussein does it
first, at which point you might as well nuke Baghdad rather than mess around in
oilfields.
--
"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem"
Russell Wallace, Trinity College, Dublin

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (10/03/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
> From: HARPER%ccvax.ucd.ie@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
> Last weekend Hussein was reported by the Iraqi news agency as having
> stated that in the event of an attack several oilfields would be destroyed.
>  ... A conventional war fought in the oilfields
> could cause so much damage to plant . . . two options emerge
> (a) permit the annexation of Kuwait . . . (b) nerve gas

There are many other reasonable options, the most likely of which
is the use of special operations forces and airborne assault to minimize
damage to critical facilities.

Destroying oil fields is not all that easy, and would take time for
Iraqi forces to do a thorough job (see history of raids on Rumanian
oil fields).  So if one of your objectives is to preserve the oil
fields in Kuwait, a pre-emptive surprise attack with the oil fields
as early objectives would limit damage.

However, special and airborne ops tend to have high casualty rates.

Consider, also, that anti-personnel bombs (CBUs, mines) in an oil field
will cause significant damage to personnel, but little damage to plant
and equipment (as opposed to iron bombs).  CBUs with delay fusing can
deny access (partially) to an enemy, and at least slow them down while
they clear the area.  Troops really hate mines!

cash@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Cash) (10/04/90)

From: convex!cash@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Cash)

In article <1990Sep29.155131.7378@cbnews.att.com> ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>I find it highly unlikely that the US or any other allied nation would
>employ chemical weaponry.  Chemical weapons would be extremely tricky to
>use in a desert area because of the climate (lots of shifting winds).
>We wouldn't want to have our own weapons blow back on ourselves.

Despite these considerations, the Iraqis seem to have used chemical weapons
to some effect against their enemies.

I think the rationale for any use of chemical weapons by the US would be to
equalize the handicap imposed on us by the enemy's (first) use of such
weapons. If the Iraqis used chemical weapons, our troops would have to move
around in protective clothes, and they would be hampered by decontamination
measures. It would be only prudent to see that the opposition is slowed
down to an equal degree. (We would not, of course, ever use chemical
weapons on unprotected civilian population centers.)

             |      Die Welt ist alles, was Zerfall ist.     |
Peter Cash   |       (apologies to Ludwig Wittgenstein)      |cash@convex.com

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (10/08/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
> From: convex!cash@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Cash)
>
> I think the rationale for any use of chemical weapons by the US would be to
> equalize the handicap imposed on us by the enemy's (first) use of such
> weapons. ... (We would not, of course, ever use chemical
> weapons on unprotected civilian population centers.)

Depends on how you want to classify "chemical weapons".  The US
regularly makes use of napalm and white phosphorus, which could be
called "incendiaries" or chemical, depending on how you define a
"chemical weapon".  We certainly were guilty of "first use" of
defoliants (a chemical weapon), and there was much collateral damage
to unprotected civilians, as well as our own troops.

Even should the Iraqis use chemical weapons, I would argue against
their use in reply. (1) Political reasons: we are "bad guys" using
immoral, illegal weapons against Arabs.  Makes it likely that war
would be longer, with more US casualties. (2) Military reasons:
we can achieve military objectives much more effectively with other
weapons.

Keep in mind the reasons that chemicals have not been employed generally
by the major powers since 1918: they are difficult to manage on the
battlefield (particularly where targets are mobile and dispersed),
and are not very effective against protected troops.  It has almost
nothing to do with morality.

darragh@maths.tcd.ie (Darragh J. Delany) (10/09/90)

From: darragh@maths.tcd.ie (Darragh J. Delany)
In article <1990Oct2.234929.23035@cbnews.att.com> rwallace@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>Sounds pretty far-fetched to me. For one thing Iraq and Kuwait don't contribute
>enough of the world's oil supply to cause a major world recession even if
>supplies from both countries were totally cut off (which they are right now and
>we haven't seen a major world recession). (Saudi Arabia does, which was why
>there was such a panic when it looked like Hussein was going to invade it).

WRONG! The world economy and particularly the local economy are feeling the
pinch at the moment and the oil production of Iraq&Kuwait combined is
roughly equal to that of Saudi, (about 10% each!). Anyway this is WAAYY
outside the scope of this group...

>Second, destruction of plant is irrelevant - given a few months the whole lot
>could be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost of the military action.

I think not missiles are cheaper and faster moving than refineries.

Darragh.