[sci.military] Civil War Technology, Mosquitoes & Submarines

pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com (LAY ON GROUND. LIGHT FUZE. 10-Oct-1990 1249) (10/11/90)

From: "LAY ON GROUND. LIGHT FUZE.  10-Oct-1990 1249" <pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com>

David John Schuetz wrote (in part):

>Mark Kromer's comments on the Monitor reminded me of one of the revelations
>of Ken Burns' documentary.  I had never before thought of the Civil War as a
>techno-war, but that's what it was;  not just the ironclads...
	To the list others have proposed:
	repeating/"machine" guns (gatling, etc)
	RR mounted artillery
	Telegraph
	Mine (called "torpedo" at the time) warfare was revived for naval/
	riverine use.

>It seems that the north and south normally got technology at about the
>same time, so the net effect was null.
	The usual analysis was that the South lacked the industrial
	infrastructure effectively bring the technologies on line.  They had
	incentive, especially later, as they weakened, to try new things (the
	David's,to break the the blockade, etc...).  They could import
	technology (revolving sidearms, from the UK) but did not have the
	manufacturing capability to turn out quantities of weapons.  They lacked
	even iron, in anything like quantity/

re: The Mosquito...
	Halliday(?), in Mosquito!, refers to a structure of "plywood laminated
to a balsa core".  Carefully chosen wood was/is as good a aluminum on a
strength to weight basis.  The limiting factor was the need to select each
piece, train the craftsmen, and the uncertainties of maintenance of wood.

re: WWII submarines...
Found a reference to Germany having gyrocompasses in WWII U Boats.

thanks
dave pierson			|the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Digital Equipment Corporation	|the opinions, my own.
600 Nickerson Rd
Marlboro, Mass
01752				pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com

"He has read everything, and, to his credit, written nothing."  A J Raffles