[sci.military] Aviation Leak Article on "Black" Aircraft Programs

jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) (10/04/90)

From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)

Followers of the F-19/F-117/Aurora controversy might be interested in checking
out the latest issue of Aviation Leak.  In that magazine there is a discussion
of the rumors surrounding "black" high-tech aircraft supposedly undergoing
test out West in the Nevada desert.  There are indeed some highly secret
sites out there where some rather odd things have been going on.  Many strange
and exotic aircraft have been either seen or heard flying in and about this
region.  Some of these include:

	. A "triangular" flying-wing type aircraft seen in formation with
	  F-117A stealth fighters.  This plane may be related to the A-12
	  Avenger II strike aircraft program (also discussed in the same issue).
	  This plane has also been seen flying alone, and is reported to be
	  much quieter than the F-117A.  There is a drawing in AvLeak which
	  is supposedly based on several visual sightings.  It shows a flat,
	  manta-ray shaped plane with no vertical tail and a sort of "swallow"-
	  shaped appendage extending backwards from the wing trailing edge.

	. A high speed aircraft that emits a very loud, deep, rumbling roar.
	  Sometimes, the noise is punctuated by a low-frequency pulsing sound.
	  Observers have reported that the sound was "like the sky ripping".
	  When seen at low altitudes, the plane emits a "sausage-link"-shaped
	  smoke trail as it flies through the skies.  Sightings seem to indicate
	  that the craft is approximately 100 feet long.  The drawing in AvLeak
	  (I think that they have inadvertently switched the labels on their
	  two drawings) shows a flat, wedge-shaped flying-wing aircraft which
	  may be unmanned.  The drawing shows two intakes under the forward
	  part of the wedge, and two exhausts under the trailing edge.
	  Oddly enough, the landing gear appears to be on top of the plane,
	  so it may actually land upside down!

	. There are persistent reports of a very high-speed aircraft that has
	  been seen crossing the night sky without emitting any sort of engine
	  noise or sonic boom.   Observers report seeing a single bright light
	  (which sometimes pulsates) pass through the night sky at very high
	  altitudes (in excess of 50,000 feet) over Nevada at an extremely
	  rapid rate.  Some reports claim that the aircraft was able to cross
	  some "350 miles of night sky" in only six minutes (corresponding to
	  a speed of 3500 mph).   This aircraft may actually be the same object
	  as the "pulser" described above.

	. Several reports of flying wing aircraft seen on the ground at various
	  places in and around Edwards Air Force Base.

What is to be made of all this?

Joe Baugher				**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories			*  "Book him, Dano!!!  Murder-One!   *
200 Park Plaza				**************************************
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7050
(708) 713 4548
ihlpm!jfb
jfb200@cbnewsd.att.com
				  Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!

IO00672@maine.maine.edu (Sloth) (10/11/90)

From:    IO00672@maine.maine.edu (Sloth)
>There are persistent reports of a very high-speed aircraft that have
>been seen crossing the night sky without emitting any sort of engine
>noise or sonic boom. Observers report seeing a single bright light
>(which sometimes pulsates) pass through the night sky at very high
>altitudes (in excess of 50,000 feet) over Nevada at an extremely
>rapid rate. Some reports claim that the aircraft was able to cross
>some "350 miles of night sky" in only six minutes (corresponding to
>a speed of 3500 mph). This aircraft may actually be the same object
>as the "pulser" described above.

What you got here sounds like a satellite. If you go somewhere where
there is very little "light pollution," such as on a mountaintop (or
in the middle of the Navada desert) you can observe all sorts of
satellites whizzing by. They take roughly six minutes to cross the
sky, depending on the orbit.

Some satellites are not equally reflective on all sides. When they
rotate, their brightness varies which results in the "pulsating"
effect.

---
Malcolm Fuller                     Email: MALCOLMF@MECAN1.BITNET
Surveying Engineering Department          IO00672@MAINE.MAINE.EDU
University of Maine

       Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietam Servitutem