[sci.military] What Happened to all the A-12s?

jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) (10/05/90)

From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)

The discussion on the current disposition of the SR-71 Blackbirds got me to
wondering: what happened to the A-12 single-seat spyplanes that preceded
the SR-71?  I think that there were 21 of them built.  I don't think that any
A-12s were ever shown in public, nor were any ever given to museums so far as
I am aware.  Did they all get written off in crashes?  Did the survivors get
put in storage?  Or can we conclude that some are indeed still flying?

Joe Baugher				**************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories			*  "Badges???   We don't need no     *
200 Park Plaza				*   stinking badges!"                *
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7050		**************************************
(708) 713 4548
ihlpm!jfb
jfb200@cbnewsd.att.com
				  Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)
>... what happened to the A-12 single-seat spyplanes that preceded
>the SR-71? ...

The survivors have been seen at one of the storage depots in the Southwest
(Davis-Monthan? not sure), mothballed but perhaps still flyable.  They were
retired due to a political decision that actually operating strategic
reconnaissance hardware was the USAF's job.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

roberts@uunet.UU.NET (Robert Stanley) (10/10/90)

From: mitel!sce!cognos!roberts@uunet.UU.NET (Robert Stanley)

In article <1990Oct8.030649.12453@cbnews.att.com> henry@zoo.toronto.edu
           (Henry Spencer) writes:

>The survivors have been seen at one of the storage depots in the Southwest
>(Davis-Monthan? not sure), mothballed but perhaps still flyable.  They were
>retired due to a political decision that actually operating strategic
>reconnaissance hardware was the USAF's job.

Which makes the recent decision to retire the SR-71 more than a little
ironic.  The USAF requested that the operating costs (some $210M/year)
be deleted from their budget on the grounds that they were unable to
justify the cost of information gathering for their own needs.  It appears
that the people who really wanted/used the information gathered by SR-71
missions were not the ones having the appropriation show up in their
annual budgets...
--
Robert Stanley   UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!cognos!roberts | 3755 Riverside Drive
Cognos, Inc.     INET: roberts%cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net  | PO Box 9707, Ottawa

34X3TAN%CMUVM.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu (10/11/90)

From: <34X3TAN%CMUVM.BITNET@VM1.gatech.edu>
According  to what  I  have read  in  AEROFAX the  fleet  of A-12's  are
currently stored at  the skunkworks at either  Palmingdale or Pasidenia,
also  of  interest is  the  D-21  ramjet  drones  stored at  the  MASDEC

                                   Jeff Kavanaugh
                                   CMUVM-34x3tan
boneyards.