[sci.military] High-ranking Officers killed in Action

klb@pegasus.att.com (Kevin Blatter) (09/20/90)

From: klb@pegasus.att.com (Kevin Blatter)
Driving to work the other day, I was thinking of high-ranking U.S. Military
officers that have been killed in battle.  Two questions came to mind:

1) Who where the highest ranking officers killed in action during each of the
United State's military conflicts?  What rank did they hold at the time of
death?

2) What percentage of officers lost their lives as opposed to the percentage
of enlisted personnel?

I do know that during the Civil War that it was not at all uncommon for
Generals to be killed by sharpshooters and thus a greater percentage of officers
list their lives than did enlisted men.  Is this still the case?  If not,
during what conflict was the trend reversed?

Kevin Blatter
AT&T - Bell Laboratories
Lincroft, NJ

rab%ginger.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Robert A. Bruce) (09/24/90)

From: rab%ginger.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Robert A. Bruce)

In article <1990Sep20.022223.15200@cbnews.att.com> klb@pegasus.att.com (Kevin Blatter) writes:
>I do know that during the Civil War that it was not at all uncommon for
>Generals to be killed by sharpshooters and thus a greater percentage of
>officers list their lives than did enlisted men.  Is this still the case?
>If not, during what conflict was the trend reversed?

Officers still die at a greater percentage rate than enlisted.  In a
modern infantry unit the most dangerous jobs are:

1. Platoon commander (officer)
2. Radio operator (enlisted)
3. Machinegunner (enlisted)

The platoon commanders are most likely to be killed because they tend
to expose themselves and move around a lot to control their platoons.
It is usually pretty easy for a sniper to figure out who the platoon
commander is.  Radio operators get hit because the enemy sees their
antennaes, and fires at them to take out the cp.  Machineguns are
relatively easy to target at night because the muzzle flashes and the
tracers give away their positions.

During training exercises with MILES gear, it is not uncommon for an
infantry company to lose nearly all of their officers before they have
taken 20% casualties.

Mortality of aircraft pilots was high during several modern wars, such
as the Yom Kipper War, and the Falklands War.  Aircraft crews are made
up primarily of officers, so that tilts the odds even further against
them.

ham@hpcc01.HP.COM (Bob Hamilton) (09/29/90)

From: ham@hpcc01.HP.COM (Bob Hamilton)

>  1) Who where the highest ranking officers killed in action during each
>  of the United State's military conflicts?  What rank did they hold at
>  the time of death?

For WWII, I think it was Lt. Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner (USA), killed
during the invasion of Okinawa in 1945.

--Bob Hamilton
  Corporate Quality Information Systems
  Hewlett-Packard       Mail Stop 29AK
  3172 Porter Drive
  Palo Alto, California  94304
  (415) 857-6025   ham@hpsdesis.corp.hp.com

emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) (10/03/90)

From: emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery)

>From: ham@hpcc01.HP.COM (Bob Hamilton)
>For WWII, I think it was Lt. Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner (USA), killed
>during the invasion of Okinawa in 1945.
Nope.  It's General (4 stars) Leslie McNair, killed during the carpet
bombing prior to Cobra when U.S. bombs fell short.  McNair (an old
artilleryman) was quite deaf and didn't hear the incoming.  He was
there unofficially, and they kept his death a secret.  I think his son
was killed shortly before or after his death.  I think McNair was in
the ETO because he was being considered for the job of commander of
U.S. Army Ground Forces (Bradley's eventual job).  He came over from
the states where he was commander of the Ground Forces stateside (the
precedessor of what is now known as Army Forces Command).

A 4-star was killed in an auto accident in Korea (Walker?) and was
replaced by Ridgeway.

At least 1 division commander (2-star) was killed in VietNam when his
helicopter was shot down.

				dave emery
				emery@aries.mitre.org

clements@cs.utexas.edu (Paul C. Clements) (10/03/90)

From: clements@cs.utexas.edu (Paul C. Clements)

>  1) Who where the highest ranking officers killed in action during each
>  of the United State's military conflicts?  What rank did they hold at
>  the time of death?

>From: ham@hpcc01.HP.COM (Bob Hamilton)
>  For WWII, I think it was Lt. Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner (USA), killed
>  during the invasion of Okinawa in 1945.

Also, on July 24, 1944, in one of the carpet bombing operations planned to
aid the D-day breakout, Allied bombs killed 111 Americans.    One of the
casualties was Lt. Gen. Leslie J. McNair, a senior member of the U. S. Army
staff in Washington who had joined a frontline batallion as an observer.
Source:  "Liberation", Time-Life WWII series, p. 56.

P. C. Clements

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (10/05/90)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

In article <1990Oct2.234822.22777@cbnews.att.com>, David Emery writes:
*A 4-star was killed in an auto accident in Korea (Walker?) and was
*replaced by Ridgeway.

Walton J. (``Johnny'') Walker was killed in an auto accident; i
don't recall that he was a full General, but rather that he was a
Lieutenant General.

a number of Brigadier and Major Generals were killed in the Civil War;
i think that probably Stonewall Jackson was the highest ranking
general killed.  he was certainly the most important general killed,
and Lee never really recovered from the loss.

richard
--
richard welty         518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
welty@lewis.crd.ge.com                 ...!crdgw1!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (10/15/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

In article <1990Oct2.234822.22777@cbnews.att.com>, emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:

> From: emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery)
>
> >From: ham@hpcc01.HP.COM (Bob Hamilton)
> >For WWII, I think it was Lt. Gen. Simon Bolivar Buckner (USA), killed
> >during the invasion of Okinawa in 1945.

   LTG Buckner was killed by a mortar round exploding near him while over
   looking what is now Buckner Bay, Okinawa - the same round wounded my
   father-in-law, an infantry captain.

> At least 1 division commander (2-star) was killed in VietNam when his
> helicopter was shot down.

   Major General Keith Ware, 1st Infantry Division.

   mts