[sci.military] US intercepting an ICBM

kaminsky-david@CS.YALE.EDU (David Kaminsky) (10/03/90)

From: kaminsky-david@CS.YALE.EDU (David Kaminsky)

	With the news reporting Saddam Hussein 5 years away from
both an ICBM and an atomic weapon, I was wondering what capabilities
the US had to stop 1 (or 2)  incoming ICBM.

Thanks,
David

ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) (10/04/90)

From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
The US Army (as reported by AW&ST) has been hinting that the Patriot
missile has an anti-missile capability. I recall seeing pictures of test
Patriot intercepts using a Lance missile as a target.  The success rate
was very high.

--Allan

MIDN 3/C (PLCJR) Allan Bourdius, Carnegie Mellon University NROTC
"Retreat hell!  We just got here!"          ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu
The opinons expressed in this letter/posting do not, nor are in any way
intended to, represent the official policies and positions of the Department
of Defense, the Department of the Navy, the United States Marine Corps
or the United States Navy; so there!

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: kaminsky-david@CS.YALE.EDU (David Kaminsky)
>	With the news reporting Saddam Hussein 5 years away from
>both an ICBM and an atomic weapon, I was wondering what capabilities
>the US had to stop 1 (or 2)  incoming ICBM.

None whatsoever.

The Soviets would have some chance of intercepting one headed for Moscow,
but elsewhere the story is the same for them.

You might be able to stop one with a Patriot battery if you could figure
out exactly where it was headed and have the Patriots there waiting for it.
This isn't going to work for area defence.

SDIO isn't sure whether to be happy about the Gulf crisis or not, according
to AvLeak.  On the one hand, it considerably strengthens the case for a
limited missile-defence system that can cope with a Third-World attack.
On the other hand, Desert Shield is eating money by the carload, and the
military budget situation is going to be a wee bit tight this fall.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

military-request@att.att.com (10/08/90)

From: texbell!letni!digi!digi.lonestar.org!user1 ("USER1")

In article <1990Oct4.012238.11214@cbnews.att.com> ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>The US Army (as reported by AW&ST) has been hinting that the Patriot
>missile has an anti-missile capability. I recall seeing pictures of test
>Patriot intercepts using a Lance missile as a target.  The success rate
>was very high.

I know the F-15 has some sort of missile it can launch at
satellites, but isn't there some other missile being
worked on that is airlaunched at ICBM's?   I thought
we had something like that.

Rick

--
                 _________
________________/   SMU   |

markk@uunet.UU.NET (Mark Kromer) (10/10/90)

From: tcs!sparcplug!markk@uunet.UU.NET (Mark Kromer)

In article <1990Oct8.030534.12102@cbnews.att.com>,  writes:

>From: texbell!letni!digi!digi.lonestar.org!user1 ("USER1")

>In article <1990Oct4.012238.11214@cbnews.att.com> ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Allan Bourdius) writes:

>>From: Allan Bourdius <ab3o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>>The US Army (as reported by AW&ST) has been hinting that the Patriot
>>missile has an anti-missile capability. I recall seeing pictures of test
>>Patriot intercepts using a Lance missile as a target.  The success rate
>>was very high.

>I know the F-15 has some sort of missile it can launch at
>satellites, but isn't there some other missile being
>worked on that is airlaunched at ICBM's?   I thought
>we had something like that.

If I'm not mistaken, it has been proposed to intercept ICBM's with
Phoenix missles fired from F-15's.  The Phoenix is the F-15's long
range air-to-air missle, also used by the F-14.

         ---           ---            ---           ---
  ,,
 @oo   Mark Kromer        markk@tcs.com
 \_`   Teknekron Communications Systems, Inc.  Berkley, CA USA

Disclaimer:  If these were my employer's words you'd have to pay to read them,
             but I'll let you have mine at cost - That'll be $.02 please.

v059l49z@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy) (10/11/90)

From: v059l49z@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Paul C Stacy)

In article <1990Oct10.000552.259@cbnews.att.com>, tcs!sparcplug!markk@uunet.UU.NET (Mark Kromer) writes...
>If I'm not mistaken, it has been proposed to intercept ICBM's with
>Phoenix missles fired from F-15's.  The Phoenix is the F-15's long
>range air-to-air missle, also used by the F-14.

I believe you are mistaken.  Unless something has happened very recently,
I have heard of no plans to equip F-15's (or any other plane) with Phoenix
missiles.

Way back when, there were plans to make a navalized version of the F-15.
The Navy wanted to keep its then-new Phoenix missile a part of their new
fighter plane.  By the time the AWG-9 radar and adaptors for Phoenix were
installed, it became too heavy for the Navy to use, so the F-14 went into
production.  The F-14 wasn't entirely designed with Phoenix in mind (hence
the adaptors used to carry it).  The navalized F-15 was under consideration
due to the rising costs of the F-14 program.

By the way, the Navy has (at least for now) ended procurment of more Phoenix
missiles.

				Paul

malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy) (10/11/90)

From: malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy)

In article <1990Oct10.000552.259@cbnews.att.com> tcs!sparcplug!markk@uunet.UU.NET (Mark Kromer) writes:

>If I'm not mistaken, it has been proposed to intercept ICBM's with
>Phoenix missles fired from F-15's.  The Phoenix is the F-15's long
>range air-to-air missle, also used by the F-14.

I don't believe that the F-15 carries the electronic support (radars,
etc.) to allow it to fire the Phoenix; I think that the F-14 had to be
designed around the hardware necessary to employ the Phoenix properly.

 Sean Malloy                                  |
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center | "The morning was death
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                     | with birdsong."
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                        | -- _The Wizardry Compiled_

geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) (10/11/90)

From: geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)

In article <1990Oct10.000552.259@cbnews.att.com> tcs!sparcplug!markk@uunet.UU.NET (Mark Kromer) writes:

>If I'm not mistaken, it has been proposed to intercept ICBM's with
>Phoenix missles fired from F-15's.  The Phoenix is the F-15's long
>range air-to-air missle, also used by the F-14.

I thought the F-14 was the only aircraft that carried the Phoenix.  That's
what I heard a Navy pilot say at a local airshow this past Sunday, anyway.
Aside from the experimental ASAT weapon, I've only heard of F-15s carrying
Sparrows and Sidewinders.

Geoff

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Geoff Miller                    + + + + + + + +        Sun Microsystems
geoffm@purplehaze.sun.com       + + + + + + + +       Milpitas, California
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

baldwin@usna.NAVY.MIL (J.D. Baldwin.) (10/11/90)

From: baldwin@usna.NAVY.MIL (J.D. Baldwin.)

In the referenced article, Mark Kromer writes:
>>I know the F-15 has some sort of missile it can launch at
>>satellites, but isn't there some other missile being
>>worked on that is airlaunched at ICBM's?   I thought
>>we had something like that.
>
>If I'm not mistaken, it has been proposed to intercept ICBM's with
>Phoenix missles fired from F-15's.  The Phoenix is the F-15's long
>range air-to-air missle, also used by the F-14.

The F-15 does not and never has carried the Phoenix, which is an
integral part of the AWG-9 weapons system found only aboard the
F-14 Tomcat.  You may be thinking of the AMRAAM (though I have never
heard of such a program).
--
 From the catapult of:              |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _, J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (10/11/90)

From: gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)

In article <1990Oct10.000552.259@cbnews.att.com> tcs!sparcplug!markk@uunet.UU.NET (Mark Kromer) writes:

>If I'm not mistaken, it has been proposed to intercept ICBM's with
>Phoenix missles fired from F-15's.  The Phoenix is the F-15's long
>range air-to-air missle, also used by the F-14.

	The F-15 does not, never has, and doubtfully will ever mount a Phoenix
air-to-air missile.  It's missile armament consists of AIM-7 Sparrow models
and AIM-9 Sidewinder models, with occational air-to-ground missiles.
	Even the discussed-but-never-built F-15N (proposed F-14 competitor,
never made it off drawing board) only carried Sparrows.  A plan to upgrade the
plane to carry Phoenix was scrapped when someone showed that it would be more
expensive than the F-14.

Only three aircraft types that I know of have ever carried the Phoenix:
F-14, F-111B (prototype only), and the ?Skywarrior what they were using for
flight test of the missile...

  == George William Herbert ==   **There are only two truly infinite things,**
 == JOAT for Hire: Anything, ==  *   the universe and stupidity.  And I am   *
=======Anywhere, My Price======= *  unsure about the universe.  -A.Einstein  *
 ==   gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu   ==  *********************************************
  ==     ucbvax!ocf!gwh     == The OCF Gang:  Making Tomorrow's Mistakes Today

phil@brahms.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (10/15/90)

From: phil@brahms.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai)
In article <1990Oct11.051202.208@cbnews.att.com> baldwin@usna.NAVY.MIL (J.D. Baldwin.) writes:
|The F-15 does not and never has carried the Phoenix, which is an
|integral part of the AWG-9 weapons system found only aboard the
|F-14 Tomcat.  You may be thinking of the AMRAAM (though I have never
|heard of such a program).

AMRAAM stands for Advanced Medium Range Air to Air Missile.
It would not seem comparable to the Phoenix. (except perhaps
in cost)

--
The Bill of Rights isn't perfect, but it's better than what we have now.

beef@milton.u.washington.edu (Charles Lasseter) (10/15/90)

From: beef@milton.u.washington.edu (Charles Lasseter)

In article <1990Oct11.051214.273@cbnews.att.com> gwh%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:

>>If I'm not mistaken, it has been proposed to intercept ICBM's with
>>Phoenix missles fired from F-15's.  The Phoenix is the F-15's long
>>range air-to-air missle, also used by the F-14.
>
>Only three aircraft types that I know of have ever carried the Phoenix:
>F-14, F-111B (prototype only), and the ?Skywarrior what they were using for
>flight test of the missile...

A note on the phoenix being carried by planes other than the F-14.  This is a
small difference, but one which I feel is important to note.  Only an F-14
can guide a phoenix, many different planes can carry and launch as long as an
F-14 is there to take control of the missile on launch. I read an article
quite a while ago that related to adding rotisserie racks to civilian airliners
to launch cruise missiles.  While this is sort of a last resort, a navy pilot
I mentioned this to said that you could do the same thing with phoenix missiles.It would not be as accurate, but it would work.

stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson x2580 dept303) (10/15/90)

From: stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson x2580 dept303)

In article <1990Oct8.030534.12102@cbnews.att.com>  writes:
>I know the F-15 has some sort of missile it can launch at
>satellites, but isn't there some other missile being
>worked on that is airlaunched at ICBM's?   I thought
>we had something like that.
>
>Rick

Rick is referring to the original US ASAT program which
Congress unilateraly curtailed testing of.  The US currently
doesn't have an in-place ASAT capability.  There is a new
version on the drawing board but it isn't clear to me that
it will do any better politically than the original system.

I'd GUESS that the patriot probably has a capability of
dealing with killing an inbound sub-orbital missile in
it's terminal phase, i.e. just before it hits.

Steve Wilson

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (10/15/90)

From: mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires)
>In article <1990Oct10.000552.259@cbnews.att.com> tcs!sparcplug!markk@uunet.UU.NET (Mark Kromer) writes:
>
>>If I'm not mistaken, it has been proposed to intercept ICBM's with
>>Phoenix missles fired from F-15's.  The Phoenix is the F-15's long
>>range air-to-air missle, also used by the F-14.

There was a program to build an ASAT missile that would be carried by
an F15, although it was not a Phoenix.  The first test launch of an
air-launched missile that shows signs of having ASAT in its future was
in 1959, when an ALBM test bed was launched in the general direction of
a satellite.

--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408