[sci.military] The Snakebite/Pougachev's Cobra

paj@gec-mrc.co.uk (paj) (10/15/90)

From: paj <paj@gec-mrc.co.uk>

I saw this manouver done on the Soviet Su-27 Flanker on TV during the
Farnborough Airshow.  Does it have any practical use, or is it just a
neat display exercise (like the Harrier's bow)?

I imagine that it would cause rapid deceleration (causing the bogie to
fly past into your sights) and might hide the engine well enough to
lose any heat-seekers.  Even exhaust-seeking IR missiles might nip
past under the tail since the exhaust jet no longer has the plane
beyond it.

Paul.

bxr307@csc.anu.oz.au (10/16/90)

From: bxr307@csc.anu.oz.au
In article <1990Oct15.033716.12587@cbnews.att.com>, paj@gec-mrc.co.uk
 (paj) writes:
> From: paj <paj@gec-mrc.co.uk>
>
> I saw this manouver done on the Soviet Su-27 Flanker on TV during the
> Farnborough Airshow.  Does it have any practical use, or is it just a
> neat display exercise (like the Harrier's bow)?
>
> I imagine that it would cause rapid deceleration (causing the bogie to
> fly past into your sights) and might hide the engine well enough to
> lose any heat-seekers.  Even exhaust-seeking IR missiles might nip
> past under the tail since the exhaust jet no longer has the plane
> beyond it.

	In a article in a copy of last years "Flight" magazine in an interview
Pougachev said that when he invented the manouvre he did so not out of some
tactical consideration but as a demonstration of the the aircraft's ability.
Since then various journalists have decided that it might have some tactical
value.  Personally I think any pilot who was trying something that fancy
deserves to be hit by an all-angle heat seeker!  I somehow doubt that it
actually has any tactical value whatsoever.  Even if used against a Doppler
Radar as has been suggested by some journalists, the aircraft would reappear
again after the manouvre was finished, when it started moving again.  Its
pretty but not much use.

Brian Ross