[sci.military] SR-71 innovations

wb9omc@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) (10/09/90)

From: wb9omc@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick)
>From: geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)
>>From: texbell!letni!digi!digi.lonestar.org!user1 ("USER1")
	[...]
>>The oil is a solid at room temperature and must be heated by
>>a blow torch in order to be put in the plane.
>That can't possibly be true.  If it was, the oil would solidify in the
>engines while the plane sat between flights, and the engines themselves would
>have to be heated somehow before they could be started.  Oil doesn't have to
>be solid at room temperature in order to have the resistance to breakdown
>necessary at high operating temperatures.  I've read quite a bit about the

All of the references I have read indicate that while the stuff isn't
actually solid at room temperature, it is gooey and stiff enough to be
useless.  I have read multiple references to oil heating being performed
and if I can locate them, I will quote them at a later date.

There are many extremely unusual things, hi-tech wise, on the SR71.  For
instance, the fuel JP7 doesn't start well (read as: at all) on its own
and must be ignited with TEB which is  (chemists help me here) tetraethylborane
or something like that.  In color photos of the startups, the green
flash that occurs first is the TEB lighting off.  On the ground, nobody
worries about the fact the the SR leaks fuel prodigiously (from the
fire hazard point of view) because it is so bloody difficult to burn
the stuff.  When the airframe heats up a bit at higher altitudes, the
thing seals up nicely.  It has been said that the heat treatment that
the titanium gets at mach 3 airflows has a tendancy to actually
strengthen the airplane, although I can't vouch for the accuracy of
that. I *do* know that I have yet to read an article in which the
number of hours on the airframes was considered to be a problem.

So I would say that as far as technology on the SR's goes, don't scoff
at too many things.  This is, without a doubt, the single aircraft that
has stretched technology the most in one leap (at least, for aircraft
that we *know* about.....).

Duane

spl@deakin.OZ.AU (Stephen Percy Larcombe) (10/10/90)

From: spl@deakin.OZ.AU (Stephen Percy Larcombe)

|From: geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)
|>From: texbell!letni!digi!digi.lonestar.org!user1 ("USER1")
|	[...]
|>The oil is a solid at room temperature and must be heated by
|>a blow torch in order to be put in the plane.
|That can't possibly be true.  If it was, the oil would solidify in the
|engines while the plane sat between flights, and the engines themselves would
|have to be heated somehow before they could be started.  Oil doesn't have to

Solution: After returning from a flight, drain the oil from the engine,
	  while it is still hot.
	  Before starting again, heat the oil and pour it back in.

Stephen

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (10/10/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
Considering the recent interest in the SR-71, the local
Big Lots store has gotten in a batch of plastic scale
YF-12s. These are at a fairly large scale, and
I believe made by Revell. The best thing is the price.
$5 apiece! Check out your local Big Lots! I don't have
all the details yet, as I happened to go into the
store about 5 minutes before closing.

The big difference I can see between the YF-12 and the
SR-71 is that the front chines right below the canopy
are aquared off.
Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

ifaq570@walt.cc.utexas.edu (allen kitchen) (10/10/90)

From: ifaq570@walt.cc.utexas.edu (allen kitchen)

	Hello to everyone... but down to business. Here is a little
first and second hand data on the Blackbird.

	Yes, the fluid in the engines ( I have a hard time calling
it oil ) is so stiff it is for practical conversation a solid. Also
the hydralic system on the bird is a nitemare.

	Yes, the plane leaks like a sieve until it gets hot and
expands. It is easy to tell where the plane is... just follow the
trail of jp-7.

	Yes, the fuel is hard to burn. In order to burn, the fuel
has to have a catalyst. What the catalyst is I'm afraid I don't
know. But noone has ever been burned by a jp-7 spill (except one
occasion where LOX was spilled on it )

	It is sad that they deactivated the SR 71. It was truly
an inspired design. The locals in Okinawa called it "Habu" as it
looked amazingly like the head of the local venemous snake. The name
has stuck for some reason. It makes me wonder though, what kind of
technology are we flying now that no-one knows about? There are places
out in Nevada that they probably don't even tell the president about.
I won't bring up any Hanger 18 rumours, but tell me how many hangers
in Edward's AFB are strictly off-limits to anyone?

	::disclaymore...  it gonna wipem all out...::
allen

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (10/11/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
|Considering the recent interest in the SR-71, the local
|Big Lots store has gotten in a batch of plastic scale
|YF-12s. These are at a fairly large scale, and
|I believe made by Revell. The best thing is the price.
|$5 apiece! Check out your local Big Lots! I don't have
|all the details yet, as I happened to go into the
|store about 5 minutes before closing.

|The big difference I can see between the YF-12 and the
|SR-71 is that the front chines right below the canopy
|are aquared off.

I went back into the store last night and had a closer
look, including reading all the stuff on the box. The
model is made by Testors (who also make an SR-71 kit),
is a full 1/48 scale, and the price is $9.99 (OK, I
goofed - still, $9.99 is doggoned cheap for a model
this size - the $5 kits were the "F-19 stealth fight-
ers" - laugh, laugh). I might end up buying the kit
even though I don't build plastic models as a rule
(if it don't fly in circles at 100 mph I don't build
it 8-) ).

According to the box, the last remaining YF-12 is
housed at Wright Field, Dayton Ohio.

The kit features operating doors for the missile
bays. The missile bays contain the four AIM-47s
that the airplane carries. The AIM-47s have big
fins that are the full length of the body. The
bays are located under the airplane somewhat under
the cockpit. This answers one of my questions about
the YF-12.

Otto.Makela@jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (10/16/90)

From: Otto.Makela@jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela)
In article <1990Oct11.051337.661@cbnews.att.com> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
(Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
   |The big difference I can see between the YF-12 and the
   |SR-71 is that the front chines right below the canopy
   |are aquared off.

I built a 1:48 of YF-12A (I believe the A is supposed to be there, too) a
few years back.  Rather impressive looking, the whole thing is over 50cm
in length.

The YF-12A was the "fighter" version of SR-71, built probably mainly as an
experiment and to support the new policy of no spyplane overflights (what,
that's not a spyplane, that's a fighter).  The main differences were that
the front chines were squared off for the front-looking radar, the addition
of the missile bays (how do they open those doors at 3.5+ ?) and a large
stabilizer fin below the stern (folded up during takeoff/landing).  The
recon officer's position was equipped as a weapons officer's position.

This information from a reasonably level-headed seeming book called "SR-71
Blackbird" by Signal/Squadron publications.  Can't vouch for them, obviously.
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */