[sci.military] East German aircraft. Now NATO?

hgb@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Hubert Bartels) (10/10/90)

From: Hubert Bartels <hgb@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu>

	Being a fan of Mil-24 helicopters, ( Hinds), I was wondering what
	has happened to East German aircraft, now that Germany has reunited.
	for example, East Germany is supposed to have 30 odd Hind D assault
	helicopters. Have these been transfered to NATO? What other strange
	aircraft might be flying under NATO colors?

					Hubert Bartels

Hubert Bartels          INTERNET: hgb@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu
Optical Sciences Center VOICE:(602)-621-2032
University of Arizona   "To a WWWA trouble consultant, recklessness is
Tucson, AZ, USA 85721    a way of life"  Kei, Dirty Pair's Great Adventure

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: Hubert Bartels <hgb@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu>
>	Being a fan of Mil-24 helicopters, ( Hinds), I was wondering what
>	has happened to East German aircraft, now that Germany has reunited...

The German air forces have, in principle, reunited too.  Details on this are
still being worked out, last I heard.  Yes, the East German half still has
all its Soviet-built equipment.  In fact, there was some fuss a little while
ago over MiG-29 deliveries -- the West Germans wanted to cancel them, while
the Soviets said "those were firm orders, you *will* pay for them and take
delivery". (!)

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

bxr307@csc.anu.oz.au (10/15/90)

From: bxr307@csc.anu.oz.au
In article <1990Oct11.051011.29673@cbnews.att.com>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu
(Henry Spencer) writes:
> From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>>From: Hubert Bartels <hgb@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu>
>>	Being a fan of Mil-24 helicopters, ( Hinds), I was wondering what
>>	has happened to East German aircraft, now that Germany has reunited...
>
> The German air forces have, in principle, reunited too.  Details on this are
> still being worked out, last I heard.  Yes, the East German half still has
> all its Soviet-built equipment.  In fact, there was some fuss a little while
> ago over MiG-29 deliveries -- the West Germans wanted to cancel them, while
> the Soviets said "those were firm orders, you *will* pay for them and take
> delivery". (!)

	At last report (that I had heard) the MiG-29's had been returned to
the Soviet Union.  The East Germans only had about 24 apparently and one of the
the "understoods" during the re-unification talks between the East and West
German military was that certain items of equipment were going to be returned
to the Soviet Union.  Another item which has "disappeared" as a consquence is
the Su-25 Frogfoots which were operated by the East.  Somehow I doubt that the
Mi-24 Hinds have been left behind as well.  I would presume that some sort of
deal was worked out with regards to the monies paid or not paid for the
equipment.   However I would be surprised that all the technical information
(eg user and maintenance manuals) and the pilots returned as well.  As a
consquence the amount of intelligence which NATO has gained about the
capabilities of a lot of the latest Soviet equipment will still have been huge.

Brian Ross

bxr307@csc.anu.oz.au (10/16/90)

From: bxr307@csc.anu.oz.au
In article <1990Oct15.033810.12838@cbnews.att.com>, bxr307@csc.anu.oz.au writes:
|> 	At last report (that I had heard) the MiG-29's had been returned to
|> the Soviet Union.

	I apologise.  It now appears at the latest report I have (6 Oct'1990
issue of Jane's Defence Weekly, remember I am in Oz after all!) that the West
Germans have decided to retain the MiG-29's.   Apparently 24 aircraft are to
be retained in two squadrons in what was East Germany for defensive purposes.
	Originally the MiG-29's were to be considered too expensive to retain
from the viewpoint of spares and maintenance.  However the Germans have
obviously decided it would be better to retain the aircraft and train pilots to
use them rather than pay the Soviet's to take them back.
	The article made no mention of the other various pieces of Soviet
equipment, however I would presume that a similar deal might be cut between
the West Germans (Oops!  Sorry now.... Germans! ;-) and the Soviets. Even so
if there isn't a deal on the other sensitive items I think the Germans have
still given NATO a windfall in human intelligence terms with the amount of
information will have been left behind.  However it will be of less importance
 than it would have been in the past.

Brian Ross

tohall@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Hall (Sverdrup)) (10/17/90)

From: tohall@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Hall (Sverdrup))

From: tohall@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Hall (Sverdrup))
In article <1990Oct15.033810.12838@cbnews.att.com>, bxr307@csc.anu.oz.au writes...

>From: bxr307@csc.anu.oz.au
>In article <1990Oct11.051011.29673@cbnews.att.com>, henry@zoo.toronto.edu
>(Henry Spencer) writes:
>> From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>>>From: Hubert Bartels <hgb@catalina.opt-sci.arizona.edu>
>>>	Being a fan of Mil-24 helicopters, ( Hinds), I was wondering what
>>>	has happened to East German aircraft, now that Germany has reunited...
>>
>> The German air forces have, in principle, reunited too.  Details on this are
>> still being worked out, last I heard.  Yes, the East German half still has
>> all its Soviet-built equipment.  In fact, there was some fuss a little while
>> ago over MiG-29 deliveries -- the West Germans wanted to cancel them, while
>> the Soviets said "those were firm orders, you *will* pay for them and take
>> delivery". (!)

The subject of Soviet-built military equipment in the former GDR is a very
interesting one. The return of Soviet built aircraft is a simple matter - just
fly it back to where it came from. The aircraft, in my opinion, are just the
tip of the iceberg. My understanding is that the "Eastern sector" contains a
HUGE military infrastructure built up over the last 40 years by the Soviets.
Take, for example, a major military airfield installation. It would contain,
among other things, the following:

a) GCI, air defense and traffic control radar systems with miles of wiring,
dedicated buildings and a large HVAC power grid to run it all. The removal of
the "espionage-sensitive" transmitters, computers, IFF and ILS systems may be
possible, but what about the nuts and bolts aspects? How can they remove the
control tower for instance?

b) Aircraft repair hangars, hardened shelters, and fuel depots/tank farms. Not
at all removable.

c) Personnel housing, air raid shelters, hardened command post, runways,
perimeter fence, mess hall, etc. Most not removable.

Over the years, the GDR has been portrayed as a vast honeycomb of military
airfields, army bases, tank depots, artillery posts and command centers. It
amazes me that the Soviets are giving away this infrastructure by allowing the
former GDR to join NATO. I read where the FRG government has agreed to pay the
USSR a couple of billion dollars in consideration of the loss of the GDR. Most
news sources implied that the money would be used to supply housing/
employment for the Soviet troops that will be de-mobilized and relocated back
to the Rodina. Is some of this payment intended to offset the loss of military
installations as well? The Soviet troop withdrawals are planned to last
several years. Perhaps they need that long to dismantle/disable their
facilites before they transition to NATO control? Has the new German
government set any rules for dismantling procedures? Can the Soviets spike
the runways and dynamite the control towers if they wish? I am surprised that
I have not heard anything in the news about this subject. Have I missed
something? Has anyone on the net heard about plans for the disposition of
military facilites in the former GDR?