[sci.military] FAMS

riga@uncecs.edu (Helmuts A. Fiefs) (10/10/90)

From: Helmuts A. Fiefs <riga@uncecs.edu>
The poster that indicated that FAM's were used to clear lz's was most
likely wrong. I remember that a blockbuster , 10k tnt bomb, used in WW2 was
the weopon of choice. It knocked down trees and really cleared the area. As
I remeber in one instance a c130 was used to deliver the ordinace. I was on a
team that evaluated FAM's as tools for clearing minefields, worked well, but
it did not knock down trees. The blast did defoliate all bushes and small
trees in it's blast area. The wepon was really developed to be used to get
troops in protected area (trenches, tanks, etc). Air delivery would be a
problem because of the exquisite fusing required. Distance of the ground,
airspeed and ground temperature could all be significant problems in the
effective used of this ordinance. Not a fun weapon if youy are in the
cloud.

markc@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mark Cook) (10/15/90)

From: Mark Cook <markc@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>
Helmuts, certain types of FAMs were used to clear LZs during the Vietnam
war.  The BLU-82/B 15,000-lb. general purpose bomb is specifically referenced
in the following expert.

The following text is excerpted from "Arsenal of Democracy-III: AMERICA'S
WAR MACHINE (The Pursuit of Global Dominance)" by Tom Gervasi (Global Press,
1984 - ISBN 0-394-54102-2) page 253:

"FUEL AIR MUNITIONS -

Developed toward the end of the war in Vietnam, this new type of air
munition uses highly volatile fuels, including ethylene oxide, propylene
oxide, meththylacetlyene, propadiene, propane and butane, to produce an
explosive rather than an incendiary effect.  Released into the air, they
form a highly combustible cloud that, on detonation, produces more than
five times the energy of its equivalent weight in TNT.  This is more than
sufficient to detonate magnetic, electro-magnetic, hydraulic, seismic and
infrared antitank and anti-personnel mines, whether of long impulse of
double-impulse fusing.  Fuel air munitions are also a formidable anti-
personnel weapon, producing blast overpressures that casue lethal concussion.
These are the major types in service or in development:

CBU-55/B 500-lb. FUEL AIR MUNITION:
    Three 100-lb. canisters, each with 72 lbs. of fuel, which separate on
release from the launching aircraft and disperse a cloud of fuel 56 feet
across and 9 feet thick, that is detonated by delayed-action fuses 3 inches
above the ground, producing a blast overpressure of 300 pounds per square
inch, sufficient to incapacitate or kill men in bunkers, foxholes and
tunnels.  Total weight: 460 lbs.

CBU-72/B 500-lb. FUEL AIR MUNITION:
    The CBU-55/B fitted with drogue parachutes to retard descent, for
delivery by high-speed aircraft such as the A-4 Skyhawk and A-7 Corsair II.

PAVE PAT II 2,500 lb. FUEL AIR MUNITION:
    A sheet steel container filled with 2,245 lbs. of pressurized propane.
The Pave Pat Blue 72 version is for delivery by the A-1 Skyraider, and the
Pave Pat Blue 76 version is a reinforced container for delivery by high-
speed aircraft such as the F-4 Phantom.

MAD FAE (MASS AIR DELIVERY, FUEL AIR EXPLOSIVE):
    Twelve containers, each of 136 lbs of ethylene oxide or propylene oxide,
attached on a line in single file to the freight hook of the CH-46, CH-53,
or UH-1 helicopter, with stabilizing panels to keep the line from twisting,
and releasing simultaneously or in sequence, dispersing a volatile cloud
over an area of more that 1,000 feet in length.  In development for the
Marine Corps, and first tested at China Lake, California in 1960.

FAESHED (FUEL AIR EXPLOSIVE, HELICOPTER DELIVERED):
    The CBU-44/B modified for use by the U.S. Army in mine clearance
operations.

SLUFAE (SURFACE LAUNCHED UNIT, FUEL AIR EXPLOSIVE):
    A mobile ground unit based on the chassis for the M-113A1 armoured
personnel carrier, mounting a series of 30 launch tubes for the 5"
(121.8 mm) Zuni rocket.  Each rocket is equipped with the Pave Pat
Blue 73 Fuel Air Munition warhead, and has a range of 750 yards (2,250 feet).
Used for mine clearance, the system has a kill radius of 33 feet for pressure-
fuse mines and 112 feet for pull-fused trip-wired mines.

BLU-82/B 15,000-lb. GENERAL PURPOSE BOMB:
    ALso known as the Daisy Cutter or Big Blue 82, thsi is a cast steel
case filled with 12,600 lbs. of DBA-22M, an aqueous mixture of ammonium
nitrate, aluminum powder, and polystyrene soap as a binder.  It produces
an explosion of a size and intensity that observers have described as "the
closest thing to a nuclear bomb" and is used not only for mine clearance
but to create landing pads for helicopters and STOL aircraft.  Producing
blast overpressures in excess of 1,000 pounds per square inch, it literally
shears off trees and other obstructions at ground level.  The only way to
understand the force of concussion it brings to bear on the human body is
to picture a man being hit by a baseball bat at full strength, and then
to imagine him hit by that kind of force at every exposed portion of his
body simultaneously."

Whew!  Kind of makes you want to run right off, rip the propane tank off
of your travel-trailer, and pitch it into a bonfire, doesn't it? :-)

Later,

		"Most human problems can be solved by an appropriate
		 charge of high explosive."
					- Blaster (_UNCOMMON_VALOR_)

	Mark F. Cook

USMail: User Interface Technical Support
	Hewlett-Packard - Interface Technology Operation
	1000 NE Circle Blvd.  Corvallis, OR 97330

ARPA: markc@hpcvss.cv.hp.com
UUCP: {cmcl2, harpo, hplabs, rice, tektronix}!hp-pcd!hpcvss!markc

"The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
 not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."

major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) (10/18/90)

From: bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt)

In article <1990Oct10.000446.29977@cbnews.att.com>, riga@uncecs.edu (Helmuts A. Fiefs) writes:

> From: Helmuts A. Fiefs <riga@uncecs.edu>
> The poster that indicated that FAM's were used to clear lz's was most
> likely wrong. I remember that a blockbuster , 10k tnt bomb, used in WW2 was
> the weopon of choice. It knocked down trees and really cleared the area....

   I've gone into LZs cleared by these types of "daisy cutters" - helicoptors
   have to hover 5-6 feet off the ground 'cause the splintered stumps of trees
   are 3-4 feet high.  'Tis no fun jumping out - specially carrying a 50lb
   ruck sack!!!!  Some missions were aborted 'cause the helicoptors could
   not set down.  (Who picked this LZ anyway?)

   mts

jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham) (10/24/90)

From: jumper@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Michael Lanham)
bcstec!shuksan!major@uunet.UU.NET (Mike Schmitt) writes:

>In article <1990Oct10.000446.29977@cbnews.att.com>, riga@uncecs.edu (Helmuts A. Fiefs) writes:
>>

>> From: Helmuts A. Fiefs <riga@uncecs.edu>
>> The poster that indicated that FAM's were used to clear lz's was most
>> likely wrong. I remember that a blockbuster , 10k tnt bomb, used in WW2 was
>> the weopon of choice. It knocked down trees and really cleared the area....

>   I've gone into LZs cleared by these types of "daisy cutters" - helicoptors
>   have to hover 5-6 feet off the ground 'cause the splintered stumps of trees
>   are 3-4 feet high.  'Tis no fun jumping out - specially carrying a 50lb
>   ruck sack!!!!  Some missions were aborted 'cause the helicoptors could
>   not set down.  (Who picked this LZ anyway?)

Actually, the poster was not wrong.  It probable depends on the area that the
FAM was used and the terrain of the future lz.  my dad has told me several
times that they had to use FAMs to clear bamboo grass for lzs.

--
Hewho will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave.      --- Sir William Drummond

Michael Lanham       mjlanham@eos.ncsu.edu