[sci.military] Questions about rank

schmidgr@sage.cc.purdue.edu (George Schmidt) (10/15/90)

From: schmidgr@sage.cc.purdue.edu (George Schmidt)

Could someone please send me some info on the officer to enlisted ratio on
Navy ships?  I am also interested about the types of jobs that an enlisted
man would do as opposed to those that an officer would do.  If there is
anything special about the above on a flagship or a training ship ie.
more officers on it.

Thanks in advance for your help

*                                   *                                  *
*      George Schmidt               *  "One mans 'magic' is another    *
*      schmidgr@sage.cc.purdue.edu  *    man's engineering.  'Super-   *
*                                   *    natural' is a null word."     *
*                                   *      -Exerpts from the Notebooks *
*                                   *        of Lazarus Long           *

cr2r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christian M. Restifo) (10/16/90)

From: "Christian M. Restifo" <cr2r+@andrew.cmu.edu>
The ratio of officers to men aboard a ship depends mostly on the ship.
The last I heard, the overall ratio in the Navy was about 1:10.
Concerning duties, officers are the supervisors while enlisted men do
the actual work.  For example, in a division (say the Weapons Division
on a ship), you have the Div-O (Division Officer) who is in charge.  He
runs the division through his senior enlisted man who is usually a
chief.  The Div-O oversees the entire operation, the paper work, etc.,
etc., etc.  The senior enlisted handles direct supervision.  One of the
main differences duty wise is that of OOD.  The Officer of the Deck is
the commanding officer's duly appointed person responsible for the ship.
 The OOD is always a qualified officer.  Enlisted can't hold positions
such as this one.

A flag ship is just like any other ship.  All that "flag" means is
that's the ship the admiral (or whatever) usually rides on.  His staff
(composed mostly of officers with some senior enlisted) accompanies him
and uses the ship as its offices, etc.

-Chris Restifo
cr2r@andrew.cmu.edu
"I have no disclaimer about my opinions because I'm not even sure if I
'opinionated' them at all........"

tomh@modcomp.uucp (Tom Harvey) (10/18/90)

From: tomh@modcomp.uucp (Tom Harvey)
cr2r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christian M. Restifo) writes:

>From: "Christian M. Restifo" <cr2r+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>main differences duty wise is that of OOD.  The Officer of the Deck is
>the commanding officer's duly appointed person responsible for the ship.
> The OOD is always a qualified officer.  Enlisted can't hold positions
>such as this one.

The OOD must be an officer while underway.  I can assure you that on
smaller ships senior eenlisteds do indeed serve as OOD.  Typically E-6
and above are in port OOD qualified.  When the USS Farragut (DDG-37) was
in drydock in ~1977, I was a qualified OOD as an E-5. (I guess we
were in no danger of sinking)  This sort of stuff is typical in the
"skeleton" crew standown situation.

The division officer's job on smaller ships (IMHO, of course) is more like
a section manager.  The senior enlisteds (usually E-7 and above) are the
supervisors, while the E-6/5 is the forman or "Leading Petty Officer" of the
division.  It's tough to say which rank/rate does what because it's all
relative to ship size.  On tugs, the Captain may be E-6 and above, yet the
tug has the same chain of command structure. (sort of too many chiefs and
not enough indians)

--
"Play it sassy, like yo' sweet mama's pajamas..."
    -Harry Chapin, "Bluesman"

geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) (10/19/90)

From: geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)

In article <1990Oct18.021232.6816@cbnews.att.com> tomh@modcomp.uucp (Tom Harvey) writes:

>The OOD must be an officer while underway.  I can assure you that on
>smaller ships senior eenlisteds do indeed serve as OOD.  Typically E-6
>and above are in port OOD qualified.  When the USS Farragut (DDG-37) was
>in drydock in ~1977, I was a qualified OOD as an E-5. (I guess we
>were in no danger of sinking)  This sort of stuff is typical in the
>"skeleton" crew standown situation.

Chief petty officers can be OODs on Coast Guard vessels.  At least, this
was the case on the 378 I was stationed aboard.  It stands to reason that
even lower enlisted ranks can qualify on smaller cutters, since the seniority
of the officers aboard is proportionately lower.

Any comments, Rex?

Geoff

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Geoff Miller                    + + + + + + + +        Sun Microsystems
geoffm@purplehaze.sun.com       + + + + + + + +        Kodiak, Alaska :)
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

hampe@nas.nasa.gov (Andrew F. Hampe) (10/24/90)

From: hampe@nas.nasa.gov (Andrew F. Hampe)
In regards the matter of ship board command in the US Navy
there is the notion "of the Line" which seperates not only
officers but enlisted. Thus the Dental Officier, like the
supply officier can not succede to command the ship/boat, as
they are NOT Line Officiers. The 3rd Class Boatswainsmate, (E-4)
on the other hand, is a rate in the Line, and CAN take charge
of the ship/boat. Granted given an Officier aboard, whether
Army, Air Force, marine Corp, Navy(not of the Line) the Baotswain's
mate IS Obliged to defer to the senior Officier aboard for
Military Obligations, But NOT for the "Safety of the Ship/boat."

ciao
drieux

former navy

ron@hpfcso.fc.hp.com (Ron Miller) (10/24/90)

From: ron@hpfcso.fc.hp.com (Ron Miller)

> Tom Harvey:
> The OOD must be an officer while underway.  I can assure you that on
> smaller ships senior eenlisteds do indeed serve as OOD.  Typically E-6
> and above are in port OOD qualified.  When the USS Farragut (DDG-37) was
> in drydock in ~1977, I was a qualified OOD as an E-5. (I guess we
> were in no danger of sinking)  This sort of stuff is typical in the
> "skeleton" crew standown situation.

It apparently depends on a number of things. This certainly was never
true on my submarine. (not a small ship???) While the officers were in
3 section duty inport, the CPOs were in 5 or 6 section duty. Qualify for
inport DO??? They'd laugh if you tried (for good reason :-) And, frankly,
CPOs deserve a break and *should* be in an easier rotation.

The closest I ever saw to having a CPO become a Duty Officer was
during preparations for an emergency reactor startup due to a
combination of unusual circumstances that required it without getting
the on-call Duty Engineering Officer or anyone else's help.
(diesel down, loss shorepower, nobody answering their phone.....)

I expect that on a nuclear powered ship, in-port DO has to be
a nuclear qualified officer unless there is a nuke on the watchbill
available and present to startup the reactor in a "go-to-sea-NOW" scenario.
(Supply officers didn't stand inport DO because they aren't "line"
officers eligible to command.)

Our ratio was about 15 officers to 140 enlisted with about 10 CPOs.
(if I remember the size of "the goat locker" correctly)
We never had as many as 1 CPO per division........ (sigh)

Ron Miller
ex-Lt  USS CINCINNATTI (SSN-693) "One Ship, One Crew - The Black & Blue"
1979-1983