[sci.military] Please post

G39922161@ccit.arizona.edu (10/15/90)

From: G39922161@ccit.arizona.edu
Subject : Current Data on Soviet Red Banner Fleets

Message Body :

  I would greatly appreciate some answers for the following questions, for I am up grading a naval battle war game.
  Some Tbilisi questions.  Is it truly "operational" yet?  Where will it's first deployment be?  How many aircraft will it carry.  I have heard that it will
carry Su-27 variants, MiG-29 variants, helos, and that An-? AEW.  What is the
word on it's armament?  What will it's letter designation be?  Eg, CVHG?  And
last, how are the other two carriers coming along, and what is the word on
their names?
  Frunze CGN questions.  How many are there, and what are their deployments?
I once read that there might be some type of laser weapon installed in later
ships, starting with the Frunze, I beleive.  Is there any truth to this?
  Quick Slava questions.  Names and deployments for the class.
  Last, but not least, submarine questions.  A fellow I just met said that a
Mike class boat sunk.  Is this true, and if so, where?  How?  When?  Are there
any more Mikes on the way?  (There was only one, right?)  How many Akulas and
Sierras are there?  Names and deployments would also be helpful.  Also, how do
these two and the Mike subs match up with current US subs (like the new LA's)?
Ans last, but not least, what is the status of the one-and-only Papa SSGN?  Doesany one know why only one was built?  A fast missile-armed sub seems like a
good idea to me...
  Thanks in advance to all who ponder over the preceeding questions.

				Tagg Gorman

[mod.note: The Komsomolets, the only Mike class sub, was indeed sunk by
an onboard fire.  Details are in the current USNI Proceedings. - Bill ]

wunder@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Wunderlick) (10/16/90)

From: wunder@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Wunderlick)

re: request for Soviet Navy data
A decent reply to your request would take up too much room, therefore
I suggest
	you invest in "Naval Institute Guide to the Combat Fleets of
the World 1990/91; their ships, aircraft and armament".  It is available
through:
	      Naval Institute Press
	      Annapolis, Maryland 21402
	      301-268-6110

It's a little pricey (about $125), but has all of the info you seek
and is current.

Good Luck with the software!

Bob

felixh@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack) (10/16/90)

From: felixh@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Felix Hack)

>Subject : Current Data on Soviet Red Banner Fleets
>
>Message Body :
>
>  I would greatly appreciate some answers for the following questions, for I am up grading a naval battle war game.
>  Some Tbilisi questions.  Is it truly "operational" yet?  Where will it's first deployment be?  How many aircraft will it carry.  I have heard that it will
>carry Su-27 variants, MiG-29 variants, helos, and that An-? AEW.  What is the
>word on it's armament?  What will it's letter designation be?  Eg, CVHG?  And
>last, how are the other two carriers coming along, and what is the word on
>their names?
>  Frunze CGN questions.  How many are there, and what are their deployments?
>I once read that there might be some type of laser weapon installed in later
>ships, starting with the Frunze, I beleive.  Is there any truth to this?
 . . . etc.

As best as I can remember, Kalinin (the third Kirov-class ship) is in the
Red Banner Fleet.  She carries a new combination gun-missile point-defense
system.

     Tbilisi is still cruising around the Black Sea, but is expected to join
  the Northern Fleet after she passes through the Turkish Straits.  Mig-29/
  Su-27 variants are expected (don't know what kind of payload they'll carry
  because Tbilisi lacks catapults to heave really heavy A/C off the deck.
     Another bit of info:  Tbilisi is equipped with 6 SS-N-19 missiles.

   My source:  FYEO (For Your Eyes Only), An Open Intelligence Summary of
     Current Military Affairs.  Put out by Tiger Publications, P.O. Box 8759
     Amarillo, TX  79114-8759

  What naval simulation are you working on?  I have spent a great deal of time
  modifying Simulation Canada's Northern Fleet, Seventh Fleet, Fifth Eskadra,
  and Grey Seas Grey Skies computer games.  When Amiga Harpoon comes out I
  expect to do the same.

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (10/24/90)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))

In article <1990Oct15.034123.13654@cbnews.att.com> G39922161@ccit.arizona.edu writes:
> ... Some Tbilisi questions.

This ship and many other having to do with "breakaway" republics have
been renamed. I have not seen the new name mentioned anywhere.

> ... Where will it's first deployment be?

It is expected to be part of the Northern Fleet.

> How many aircraft will it carry.

The Soviet press said a "few dozen".

> I have heard that it will carry Su-27 variants, MiG-29 variants,
> helos, and that An-? AEW.

The articles I read said the helos would be Ka-27 A and C types. The
only mention of AEW aircraft I have seen is a variant of the An-74
Madcap.

> What is the word on it's armament?

Combat Fleets says:
	16 x SS-N-19 (trap doors in deck)
	18 x SA-N-9 (w/ 8 missiles each)
	unknown number of CADS-1 (SA-N-11 and 2 x 30mm)
	2  x RBU-12000

> ... how are the other two carriers coming along, and what is the
> word on their names?

The sister ship of the Tbilisi was originally named the Riga. Due to
the breakaway republics thing, it was renamed Varyag. It has been
launched, but it is behind Tbilisi in entering service. The larger
Ulyanovsk was still under construction when I last heard. Apparently,
there are no plans to build further ships of these classes.

> Frunze CGN questions. How many are there, and what are their
> deployments?

Each Kirov class ship is armed differently.

Kirov			Northern Fleet
Frunze			Pacific Fleet
Kalinin			Northern Fleet
Yuri Andropov		launched, but not yet in service
 apparently no more will be built, fifth hull being scrapped

> ... Quick Slava questions. Names and deployments for the class.

Slava			Black Sea
Marshall Ustinov	Northern Fleet
Chernova Ukraina	unknown
Admiral Flota		launched, but not yet in service
 others planned or under construction

> ... A fellow I just met said that a Mike class boat sunk. Is this
> true, and if so, where? How? When? Are there any more Mikes on the
> way? (There was only one, right?)

As our moderator has pointed out, the only Mike sub (Komsomolets) sunk
due to fire. This happened on 7 April 1989 in the Barents Sea.

> How many Akulas and Sierras are there?

There are 5 Akulas and 3 Sierras and apparently more being built.

> ... what is the status of the one-and-only Papa SSGN?  Doesany one
> know why only one was built? ...

It has not seen much active service. It has had two lengthy overhauls.
It has not been observed for the last few years. Apparently, it was a
technology test platform (like the Mike).

-ted

Ted Kim                           Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:     ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                Phone:    (213)206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             FAX:      (213)825-2273