[sci.military] Civil War technology

olorin@wam.umd.edu (David John Schuetz) (10/08/90)

From: olorin@wam.umd.edu (David John Schuetz)

Mark Kromer's comments on the Monitor reminded me of one of the revelations
of Ken Burns' documentary.  I had never before thought of the Civil War as a
techno-war, but that's what it was;  not just the ironclads, but more accurate
guns, better bullets, more deadly artillery shells, and repeating rifles.

Were there other major innovations?  And how vital were they in the war?
It seems that the north and south normally got technology at about the
same time, so the net effect was null.  I assume the South must have
suffered more from the soaring casualty rate, but their generals seem
to have adapted quicker to the new tactics.

Laura Burchard

I can see it now:  retro-techno thrillers about the Civil War.

[mod.note:  I think (vague recollection) that observation balloons
were first used in the American Civil War, as well.  One wargamer put
it this way; the ACW is a great period for gaming, because any tactic
you care to think of was tried at least once.  - Bill ]

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (10/09/90)

From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

In article <1990Oct8.030412.11732@cbnews.att.com> olorin@wam.umd.edu (David John Schuetz) writes:
>Were there other major innovations?  And how vital were they in the war?
>It seems that the north and south normally got technology at about the
>same time, so the net effect was null.  I assume the South must have
>suffered more from the soaring casualty rate, but their generals seem
>to have adapted quicker to the new tactics.

ah, so it's technology you want???  how about increased logistical
capability due to the railroads???  increased communications due
to the telegraph?  use of heliographs and semaphores?

i believe the german general staff sent hordes of observers to
evaluate our prosecution of this war... it would appear they

learned their lessons well.

also... the ACW was the first prosecution of the concept of
"Total War"  it wasn't enough to destroy the enemies' armed
forces, we also had to destroy their ability to make war, hence
Sherman's march to the sea.

/***   woody   ****************************************************************
*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/

pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin) (10/11/90)

From: cognos!geovision!pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin)
eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) writes:

>also... the ACW was the first prosecution of the concept of
>"Total War"  it wasn't enough to destroy the enemies' armed
>forces, we also had to destroy their ability to make war, hence
>Sherman's march to the sea.

Gwynn Dwyer's TV series about war (I think it was just called "War")
credits Napoleon with inventing "Total War".  Who's right?  (Actually, I'm
not even sure about the time scale.  Which came first?)

[mod.note:  Napoleon's campaigns were in the early 1800's (about 1805-1815)
while the American Civil War was fought between 1861 and 1865.  - Bill ]

It was a great series, and had the personal touch too.  He takes you to a
battle field in France where the Royal Newfoundland Regiment took appalling
casualties in a single WWI battle (~90% if I remember correctly).  He remarks
how all Newfoundlanders, himself included, remember that battle, even if the
rest of the world doesn't.

--
Paul Tomblin, Department of Redundancy Department.    ! My employer probably
I'm not fat..... I'm metabolically challenged.        ! does not agree with my

emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) (10/11/90)

From: emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery)

The use of railroads, and the resulting growth of technical troops
(such as railroad troops) and planning staffs (such as the German
General Staff railroad division) was probably the greatest
technological contribution to the war.  Technology only counts (IMHO),
when it results in a change in organization and/or doctrine.  Clearly
the use of railroads had significant operational and strategic impact.
The increased effectiveness of Minie balls, etc, had more tactical impacts.

It's not true that the German General Staff sent "hoardes of
observers", but they did spend some time studying the war.  There's a
book by Jay Luuvas on the European lessons learned from the Civil War.
It's facinating reading from several perspectives, including:
	1.  seeing a non-US view of the war
	2.  seeing European interpretations of the war
	3.  seeing the lessons Europeans learned from the war.

				dave emery
				emery@aries.mitre.org

oxley@pdn.paradyne.com (Don Oxley) (10/15/90)

From: oxley@pdn.paradyne.com (Don Oxley)
In article <1990Oct11.050904.29368@cbnews.att.com> emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) writes:
>The use of railroads, and the resulting growth of technical troops
>(such as railroad troops) and planning staffs (such as the German
>General Staff railroad division) was probably the greatest
>technological contribution to the war.  Technology only counts (IMHO),
>when it results in a change in organization and/or doctrine.  Clearly
>the use of railroads had significant operational and strategic impact.
>The increased effectiveness of Minie balls, etc, had more tactical impacts.

A few weeks ago, my local PBS station broadcasted a show called "The Civil
War".  The show was shown two hours a night for 5 straight nights.  In addition
to the two technologies mentioned above, they also referred to the ironclad
fleets as the strongest naval force ever assembled on earth to that day.  They
definately got the attention of the European community.  Also mentioned was the
use of trench warfare around the cities of Richmond and Petersburg, Va. towards
the end of the war.  Approximately 50 miles of trenches were dug around
Petersburg and halted the oncoming Union soliders into a stalemate.  The 	Union countered by digging a tunnel under the trenches and filled it with	explosives.  The expolsion caused a crater several hundred yards in diameter	and the Union charged after the Confederates.  But the crater walls were so
steep, that the Union soliders could not climb the wall before the Confederates
picked them off.

The show overall was very well done and very interesting.

DonO
--
Don Oxley                                                AT&T Paradyne
Internet: oxley@pdn.paradyne.com                         8545 126th Ave. N.

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (10/15/90)

From: woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

*
*
* From: cognos!geovision!pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin)
* eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) writes:
*
* * also... the ACW was the first prosecution of the concept of
* * "Total War"  it wasn't enough to destroy the enemies' armed
* * forces, we also had to destroy their ability to make war, hence
* * Sherman's march to the sea.
*
* credits Napoleon with inventing "Total War".  Who's right?  (Actually, I'm
*
to the best of my knowledge napoleon never used scorched earth
as an offensive tactic.  napoleon didn't try to destroy the
economic base of the countries he invaded.  this is what i meant
when referring to total war.  corrections welcomed.

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (10/15/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
*>Gwynn Dwyer's TV series about war (I think it was just called "War")
*>credits Napoleon with inventing "Total War".  Who's right?  (Actually, I'm
*>not even sure about the time scale.  Which came first?)

>From what I recall of the program, Napoleon
was the first to introduce conscription. Be-
fore that, warfare (at least in europe) was
conducted by small, professional armies. I
don't think Napoleon carried war to the local
populations, or used scorched-earth techniques
(although he was, I think, the first to come
up against guerilla warfare (in Spain)).

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (10/16/90)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

In article <1990Oct15.034351.14304@cbnews.att.com> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

>>From what I recall of the program, Napoleon
>was the first to introduce conscription. Be-
>fore that, warfare (at least in europe) was
>conducted by small, professional armies. I
>don't think Napoleon carried war to the local
>populations, or used scorched-earth techniques
>(although he was, I think, the first to come
>up against guerilla warfare (in Spain)).

Actually, Washington employed guerilla warfare tactics against
the British in the Revolutionary War, some twenty or thrity years
prior to Napoleon's campaigns.

Of course, I'm sure the concept of guerilla warfare (i.e., small,
mobile units employing hit-and-run tactics and utilizing environment
and camouflage) can be traced back to Sun Tzu's time....

-shane d deichman

"He who fights then runs away lives to fight another day"
					-George Washington (paraphrased)

schow%bcarh185.bnr.ca@watmath.waterloo.edu (Stanley T.H. Chow) (10/17/90)

From: bnr-vpa!schow%bcarh185.bnr.ca@watmath.waterloo.edu (Stanley T.H. Chow)

From: bnr-vpa!schow%bcarh185.bnr.ca@watmath.waterloo.edu (Stanley T.H. Chow)

In article <1990Oct15.034351.14304@cbnews.att.com> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

>From what I recall of the program, Napoleon
>was the first to introduce conscription. Be-
>fore that, warfare (at least in europe) was
>conducted by small, professional armies. I
>don't think Napoleon carried war to the local
>populations, or used scorched-earth techniques
>(although he was, I think, the first to come
>up against guerilla warfare (in Spain)).

I would have to check for details, but China certainly had various
forms of conscription many centuries before Napoleon.

Stanley Chow        BitNet:  schow@BNR.CA
BNR		    UUCP:    ..!uunet!bnrgate!bcarh185!schow
(613) 763-2831               ..!psuvax1!BNR.CA.bitnet!schow
Me? Represent other people? Don't make them laugh so hard.

user1 ("USER1") (10/18/90)

From: texbell!letni!digi!digi.lonestar.org!user1 ("USER1")

In article <1990Oct11.050851.29295@cbnews.att.com> cognos!geovision!pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin) writes:
>From: cognos!geovision!pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin)
>eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) writes:
>
>>also... the ACW was the first prosecution of the concept of
>>"Total War"  it wasn't enough to destroy the enemies' armed
>>forces, we also had to destroy their ability to make war, hence
>>Sherman's march to the sea.
>
>Gwynn Dwyer's TV series about war (I think it was just called "War")
>credits Napoleon with inventing "Total War".  Who's right?  (Actually, I'm
>not even sure about the time scale.  Which came first?)
>
>[mod.note:  Napoleon's campaigns were in the early 1800's (about 1805-1815)
>while the American Civil War was fought between 1861 and 1865.  - Bill ]

Well, not meaning to nit-pick, but I would say "Total War" was
achieved much earlier than the 1800's in the 3rd Roman-Carthrage
war in which after the Romans defeated Carthrage they looted
and burned the city and then put salt in the soil of the entire area
around Carthrage so that nothing would ever grow there again.
Apparantly this worked pretty well because that is how Rome came
to be the great power it was.

I am sure "Total War" came into being even before that.  As a matter
of fact if anything we have stepped more away from "Total War"
now than any previous time in history, when war was profitable
for if a country won a war the prize was the ability to plunder
the defeated country (like Iraq plundering Kuwait now).

Of course, this all probably goes in something.history.

Rick
--
                 _________
________________/   SMU   |

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (10/20/90)

From: woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

In article <1990Oct18.021506.7493@cbnews.att.com$  writes:
$From: texbell!letni!digi!digi.lonestar.org!user1 ("USER1")
$$From: cognos!geovision!pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin)
$
$Well, not meaning to nit-pick, but I would say "Total War" was
$achieved much earlier than the 1800's in the 3rd Roman-Carthrage
$war in which after the Romans defeated Carthrage they looted
$and burned the city and then put salt in the soil of the entire area
$around Carthrage so that nothing would ever grow there again.
$Apparantly this worked pretty well because that is how Rome came
$to be the great power it was.
$

well, i have ti pick nits also... there is a big difference between
trashing a city (or city-state if you prefer) and laying waste
to area that constitute respectable countries in their own right.

sorry, i just don't see it as the same.  the earlier poster who
mentioned the Babylonians/Assyrians is closer to being on the
same order except that the slaughter was much worse.  at least
the romans took slaves.

TSOMMERS@zodiac.rutgers.edu (10/23/90)

From: TSOMMERS@zodiac.rutgers.edu
>From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)
>Subject:Re: Civil War technology
>Date: 8 Oct 90 22:08:25 GMT

>i believe the german general staff sent hordes of observers to
>evaluate our prosecution of this war... it would appear they
>learned their lessons well.

For the influence of the War Between the States on Europe, see Jay
Luvaas' _Military Legacy of the Civil War_.

pmorris@kean.ucs.mun.ca (10/24/90)

From: pmorris@kean.ucs.mun.ca
[mod.note: Followups to soc.history.  - Bill ]
In article <1990Oct11.050851.29295@cbnews.att.com>, cognos!geovision!pt@dciem (P
> From: cognos!geovision!pt@dciem (Paul Tomblin)
>
> It was a great series, and had the personal touch too.  He takes you to a
> battle field in France where the Royal Newfoundland Regiment took appalling
> casualties in a single WWI battle (~90% if I remember correctly).  He remarks
> how all Newfoundlanders, himself included, remember that battle, even if the
> rest of the world doesn't.

Indeed we do remember the Battle of the Somme. Actually it is better
known in Newfoundland as the July Drive. It happened July 1, 1916). While over
 500 Newfoundlanders, known as "the first 500" or
better known as "The Blue Puttees" for their distinctly colored
leggings, went over the top that day, only about 60 answered roll call
the next. The larger campaign was the Battle of the Somme, but the
Newfoundlanders took it at Beaumont Hamel. A statue stands there today
commemorating their sacrifice.

Ironically, the Battle of the Somme coincides with Canada Day. In
Newfoundland this is marked rather schizophrenically by celebrations
of Canada's nationhood and by Remembrance Services (It was and is our
Nov. 11 before that day assumed its remembrance significance.)

The last of "The Blue Puttees" is still alive in Newfoundland. His
name is Abe Mullett and he's in his nineties.

Stig (in Newfoundland)

news@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (10/24/90)

From: news@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de

[mod.note: Followups to soc.history. - Bill ]

In sci.military you write:
>* * also... the ACW was the first prosecution of the concept of
>* * "Total War"  it wasn't enough to destroy the enemies' armed
>* * forces, we also had to destroy their ability to make war, hence
>* * Sherman's march to the sea.
>
>* credits Napoleon with inventing "Total War".  Who's right?  (Actually, I'm
>to the best of my knowledge napoleon never used scorched earth
>as an offensive tactic.
I think you are right. HE didn't use it. But it was used against him
by the Russians (1812). I believe that this tactic was the cause for  his
retreat. (So, in some way, he introduced the tactic of scorched earth
back into modern history).
In ancient times the tactic of scorched earth was widely used.
(e.g. Ceasar used it against the Gauls. Almost 1/3rd of the population
in Gaul died in this war). The first example that is known to me are
the wars of the Assyrians against there neighbours. (Although this
is not exactly "scorched earth", genocide is more accurate. It was
definitely a "total war".)

  Axel

thornley@uunet.UU.NET (David H. Thornley) (10/24/90)

From: plains!umn-cs!LOCAL!thornley@uunet.UU.NET (David H. Thornley)

In article <1990Oct19..15182@cbnews.att.com> raymond%europa@uunet.UU.NET (Raymond Man) writes:

>From: raymond%europa@uunet.UU.NET (Raymond Man)
>
>I seem to recall that in J.F.C. Fuller's book (I forgot the title), total
>war means involving the whole population of the country. Before the
>Napolion wars, most fighting are done by professional soldiers and
>mercinaries.

No war has ever included the entire population of a country, except as
victims.  It is real hard to find a military function for a baby.  If we
restrict the idea of "whole population," we find that quite a few ancient
societies had the idea that all of the free healthy adult males owed
military service.  Often, the situation was such that most of them could
indeed participate in a battle or war, whereas more modern wars typically
require more of a logistic base, due to fighting over larger areas, so
in this sense modern wars are less total than the ancient ones.  (We also
have prejudices against slaughtering entire cities, or selling them into
slavery.)

As an aside, many people seem to be considering Western European warfare
from the end of the Thirty Years' War to the French Revolution as a
general model of warfare before Napoleon.  It doesn't work.  The French
Revolution and following wars were certainly the most total since the
Thirty Years' War, and contributed many techonological innovations,
but conscription (in various forms) and any reasonable definition of
"total war" were practiced thousands of years before.

DHT

cash@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Cash) (10/24/90)

From: convex!cash@uunet.UU.NET (Peter Cash)

[mod.note: Followups to soc.history. - Bill ]

>Well, not meaning to nit-pick, but I would say "Total War" was
>achieved much earlier than the 1800's in the 3rd Roman-Carthrage
>war in which after the Romans defeated Carthrage they looted
>and burned the city and then put salt in the soil of the entire area
>around Carthrage so that nothing would ever grow there again.

Is this just an old story, or has it been verified? It seems to me that the
quantity of salt that would be required to ruin Carthaginian agriculture
would be enormous. (I'll leave the exact calculations to others.) In view
of the fact that salt was a precious commodity in the ancient world, I
doubt very much that the Romans would squander it in this manner.

Moreover, any salt dumped into the soil would leach away in a few years.
Thus, the effect of this salinization would be temporary at best. Well,
maybe the Romans were as successful with this technology as Hannibal was in
using vinegar to break his way through the boulders in the alps...

             |      Die Welt ist alles, was Zerfall ist.     |
Peter Cash   |       (apologies to Ludwig Wittgenstein)      |cash@convex.com

jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy) (10/24/90)

From: jmc@Gang-of-Four.usenet (John McCarthy)
[mod.note: Followups to soc.history.  - Bill ]

I'm pretty sure Simon Sciama's  Citizens  recounts that the French
revolutionary government introduced conscription in the early 1790s,
i.e. some years before Napoleon became prominent.