[sci.military] Disposition of American Battleships

jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) (10/05/90)

From: jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher)

Here's some stuff I was able to dig up on the final disposition of American
battleships.  Sorry, I don't have any info on battleships earlier than
BB 26.  Perhaps someone else can fill in some of the earlier gaps.

   Number       Name           Commission Date      Final Disposition
   ------    ---------------   --------------    --------------------------

   BB 26      South Carolina    January 1910     Sold to breakers in 1924

   BB 27      Michigan          April 1910       Sold to breakers in 1924

   BB 28      Delaware          April 1910       Sold to breakers in 1924

   BB 29      North Dakota      April 1910       Sold to breakers in 1931

   BB 30      Florida           September 1911   Broken up for scrap in 1931

   BB 31      Utah		August 1911      Sunk at Pearl Harbor Dec 1941.
						   Repair attempt abandoned.
						   Wreakage still at the site.

   BB 32      Wyoming           September 1912   Broken up for scrap in 1948

   BB 33      Arkansas          September 1912   Destroyed during nuclear tests
						  at Bikini Atoll in 1946.

   BB 34      New York		April 1914       Scuttled near Pearl Harbor in
						  1948, after surviving two
						   Bikini Atoll nuclear tests

   BB 35      Texas		March 1914	 On permanent display as a
						  museum in Texas.

   BB 36      Nevada		March 1916       Sunk in 1946 by aerial torpedo
						  while acting as target during
						  naval gunnery training.

   BB 37      Oklahoma		May 1916	 Scuttled in 1947 while being
						  towed to breakers for
						   scrapping.  Tow rope parted
						    and vessel could not be
						     salvaged.

   BB 38      Pennsylvania      June 1916	 Sunk in 1948 at Kwajelein while
						  serving as target during
						   gunnery exercises.

   BB 39      Arizona	        October 1916	 Sunk at Pearl Harbor Dec 1941.
						 Wreckage still at site.
						 National Memorial since 1962.

   BB 40      New Mexico	May 1918	 Broken up for scrap in 1948.

   BB 41      Mississippi	December 1917	 Broken up for scrap in 1956.

   BB 42      Idaho		March 1919	 Broken up for scrap in 1948.

   BB 43      Tennessee		June 1920	 Broken up for scrap in 1959.

   BB 44      California	October 1921	 Broken up for scrap in 1959.

   BB 45      Colorado		August 1923      Broken up for scrap in 1959.

   BB 46      Maryland          July 1921        Broken up for scrap in 1959.

   BB 47      Washington        never		 Completion disallowed under
			         commissioned	 Washington Naval Agreement
						 of 1922.  75% complete ship
						 used as target for naval
						 gunnery training.  Sunk in
						 1924 by naval gunfire.

   BB 48      West Virginia     December 1923    Broken up for scrap in 1961.

   BB 49      South Dakota      never 		 Construction abandoned before
				  commissioned    launch under terms of
						  Washington Naval Agreement.
						  Partially-completed ship was
						   sold for scrap.

   BB 50      Indiana           never 		 Construction abandoned before
				  commissioned    launch under terms of
						  Washington Naval Agreement.
						  Partially-completed ship was
						   sold for scrap.

   BB 51      Montana           never 		 Construction abandoned before
				  commissioned    launch under terms of
						  Washington Naval Agreement.
						  Partially-completed ship was
						   sold for scrap.

   BB 52      North Carolina    never 		 Construction abandoned before
				  commissioned    launch under terms of
						  Washington Naval Agreement.
						  Partially-completed ship was
						   sold for scrap.

   BB 53      Iowa		never 		 Construction abandoned before
				  commissioned    launch under terms of
						  Washington Naval Agreement.
						  Partially-completed ship was
						   sold for scrap.

   BB 54      Massachusetts	never 		 Construction abandoned before
				  commissioned    launch under terms of
						  Washington Naval Agreement.
						  Partially-completed ship was
						   sold for scrap.

   BB 55      North Carolina    April 1941	 On permanent display as
						  national memorial at
						   Wilmington, N.C.

   BB 56      Washington	May 1941	 Broken up for scrap in 1961.

   BB 57      South Dakota	March 1942       Broken up for scrap in 1962.

   BB 58      Indiana		April 1942       Broken up for scrap in 1964.

   BB 59      Massachusetts	May 1942   	 On permanent display as
						  national monument at Fall
						   River, Mass.

   BB 60      Alabama		August 1942      On permanent display as
						  national monument at Mobile,
						   Ala.

   BB 61      Iowa		February 1943    Still on active duty.

   BB 62      New Jersey	May 1943	 Still on active duty.

   BB 63      Missouri		June 1944	 Still on active duty.

   BB 64      Wisconsin		April 1944	 Still on active duty.

   BB 65      Illinois		never		 Construction abandoned in 1945
				 commissioned     when only 22% complete.
						  Dismantled on the slipway.

   BB 66      Kentucky		never		 Construction finally abandoned
				 commissioned     in 1958 when 65% complete.
                                                   Scrapped and scavenged for
						   spare parts (bow section
 						   was used to repair the
						    Wisconsin).

Source:
  Battleships and Battle Cruisers-- 1905-1970,  Siegfried Breyer,
  Doubleday 1973

Joe Baugher				*************************************
AT&T Bell Laboratories			*  "We're wanted men.  I have the   *
200 Park Plaza				*   death sentence in twelve        *
Naperville, Illinois 60566-7050		*   systems"                        *
(708) 713 4548				*************************************
ihlpm!jfb
jfb200@cbnewsd.att.com
				  Who, me?  Speak for AT&T?  Surely you jest!

user1 ("USER1") (10/18/90)

From: texbell!letni!digi!digi.lonestar.org!user1 ("USER1")

In article <1990Oct5.034136.546@cbnews.att.com> jfb@ihlpm.att.com (Joseph F Baugher) writes:

>   BB 34      New York		April 1914       Scuttled near Pearl Harbor in
>						  1948, after surviving two
>						   Bikini Atoll nuclear tests

I have heard about the demise of several battleships in this manner.
What did we do, put atomic devices on old ships and set them off?
If so why?  I know it was testing, but how about some detail.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

[mod.note:  In 1946, the US conducted a series of nuclear tests at Bikini
Atoll.  Over 100 warships were included as targets, including 5
battleships, two carriers, 4 cruisers, 16 destroyers, and 8 submarines.
Test Able (16 July 1946) consisted of an atomic bomb, dropped from a B-29,
set to explode above the water's surface.  The ships survived this pretty
well; battleships as close as 500m from the blast stayed afloat with
superstructure and hull damage only.  Test Baker (25 July) had the bomb
set to explode under water, which was much more destructive (but I have
no details).  There was supposed to be a Test Charlie, but if it was
conducted, I again have no information.  - Bill ]

--
                 _________
________________/   SMU   |

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>[our moderator writes, re the Bikini nuclear tests]
>... There was supposed to be a Test Charlie, but if it was
>conducted, I again have no information.  - Bill ]

I believe the Charlie test was cancelled, although I do not immediately
remember why.
--
"...the i860 is a wonderful source     | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
of thesis topics."    --Preston Briggs |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

gabriele@riverdale.toronto.edu (Mark Gabriele ) (10/19/90)

From: gabriele@riverdale.toronto.edu (Mark Gabriele )
>[mod.note: ...  There was supposed to be a Test Charlie, but if it was
>conducted, I again have no information.  - Bill ]

Test Able was above ground; test Baker was a shallow-water burst, and
test Charlie was to be a deep-water burst.  Test Charlie was never
conducted.  It is interesting to note that they physicists present theorized
that the pressure wave from the deep-water blast would actually create a
large block of ice as one of its effects.

=Mark  (gabriele@hub.toronto.edu)

gunter@antlia.cc.uwa.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt) (10/24/90)

From: gunter@antlia.cc.uwa.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt)
ut-emx!osmigo@emx.utexas.edu (rn) writes:

>From: ut-emx!osmigo@emx.utexas.edu (rn)

>[discussion of U.S. battleships mentions the Bikini Atoll tests]

>Quite often, I see that bomb on some documentary on TV, where various
>ships are swallowed up by this huge nuclear blast. Does anyone know
>what the effects were on these ships? Were they vaporized? Capsized?
>Fragmented?

>Ron Morgan
>osmigo@emx.utexas.edu

Most of the ships looked like they had been burnt out after the blast.
Charred wrecks were all that remained. Canons were badly deformed, some ships
listed badly. There was an excellent documentary on TV, with full color
footage of the entire Operation Crossroads, and made for facinating viewing.
After the blast all ships were boarded and checked out, poor sailors
actually went aboard in normal atire. The sight of all these ghostships
lying as far as the eye can see was very eerie. They had live animals aboard
some of the ships to see how (if) they'd survive. They showed one of the goats
that did. It was badly blistered and well....you can imagine.

One of the senators that witnessed the blast from a very safe distance,
complained afterwards about how the Army had kept them to far away and he
was disappointed by not seeing enough or being close enough. Most of the
sailors that were closer and got covered in the spray from Baker (underwater)
test are dead now from radiation poisoning. They interviewed a crew member
who died shortly afterwards in the mid 80's. He had a hand that looked like
a baseball glove (in size too), and both his legs were swollen to twice
their size. Of course no one knew at the time what would happen :(

deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman) (10/24/90)

From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)

In article <1990Oct19.032216.11798@cbnews.att.com> gabriele@riverdale.toronto.edu (Mark Gabriele ) writes:

>Test Able was above ground; test Baker was a shallow-water burst, and
>test Charlie was to be a deep-water burst.  Test Charlie was never
>conducted.  It is interesting to note that they physicists present theorized
>that the pressure wave from the deep-water blast would actually create a
>large block of ice as one of its effects.

No flame, but I find this hard to believe since water is one of the
few substances which is actually densest as a liquid (at 4 degrees
C., with one atmosphere pressure).  Perhaps the scientists in question
forgot about the hydrogen bonding properties of water....

-shane

               |\/\/\/\/|
               |        |        "I'm outta here, man!"
               |        |
               |    (o o)       /
               c        _)     /
               /______\

osmigo@emx.utexas.edu (rn) (10/24/90)

From: ut-emx!osmigo@emx.utexas.edu (rn)

swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams) (10/24/90)

From: swilliam@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Williams)

In article <1990Oct18.020858.5946@cbnews.att.com> someone writes:
>From: texbell!letni!digi!digi.lonestar.org!user1 ("USER1")
>
>What did we do, put atomic devices on old ships and set them off?
>If so why?  I know it was testing, but how about some detail.

The primary reason for these atomic tests was to see the effects of
nuclear weapons on naval ships.  By seeing the results, the Navy could
design future ships to better withstand the effects of nuclear explosions.

The following information is from "The Effects of Nuclear Weapons,"
by the United States Department of Defense and United States Deparment
of Energy, 1977.

Damage to ships from an air or surface burst is due primarily to the
air blast, since little pressure is transmitted through the water.
At closer ranges, air blast can cause hull rutpure resulting in flooding
and sinking.  Such rupture appears likely to begin near the waterline
on the side facing the burst.  Since the main hull generally is stronger
than the superstructure, structures and equipment exposed above the
waterline may be damaged at ranges well beyond that at which hull rupture
might occur.  Masts, spars, radar antennas, stacks, electric equipment,
and other light objects are especially sensitive to air blast.  Air
blast may also roll and possibly capsize the ship.  Blast pressure penetrating
through openings of ventilation systems and stack-uptake systems can
cause damage to interior equipment and compartments, and also to boilers.

This book did not give much information about the ABLE test, but it
did give some about the Bikini BAKER test.

The aircraft carrier SARATOGA was anchored in Bikini lagoon almost broadside
on to the explosion with its stern 400 years from surface zero.  The
"island" structure was not affected by the air blast, but later the
central part of the structure was observed to be folded down on the
deck of the carrier.  Shortly after rising on the first wave crest,
when the stern was over 43 feet above its previous position, the SARATOGA
fell into the succeeding trough.  It appears probable that the vessel
was then struck by the second wave crest which caused the damage to
the island structure.

Maximum Heights (Crest to Trough) and Arrival Times of Water Waves at
Bikini BAKKER Test:

Distance (yards)      300   660  1,330  2,000  2,700  3,300  4,000
Wave height (feet)    94     47     24     16     13     11      9
Time (seconds)        11     23     48     74    101    127    154

Some 70 ships of various types were anchored around the point of burst
in the shallow, underwater BAKER test.  The BAKER test involved a
20-kiloton explosion.

frank0@ibmpcug.co.uk (Frank Dunn) (10/24/90)

From: frank0@ibmpcug.co.uk (Frank Dunn)
The October issue of USN Inst. Procs has a good article about a Parks
Service (?) dive on the CV Saratoga that was in one of the Bikini
tests. Includes a box out on the tests plus some underwater shots plus
quite a useful colour illo over two pages.
Frank
--
fdunn@cix fdunn@bix 100012,23 CIS Frank Dunn@MacTel
"It must be jelly 'cos jam don't shake like that"

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (10/25/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
>From article <1990Oct22.035601.17395@cbnews.att.com>, by ut-emx!osmigo@emx.utexas.edu (rn):
>
> Quite often, I see that bomb on some documentary on TV, where various
> ships are swallowed up by this huge nuclear blast. Does anyone know
> what the effects were on these ships? Were they vaporized? Capsized?
> Fragmented?

I expect you are describing the BAKER test, which was an underwater
detonation.  This produces a large wave, maybe 120 ft. high, called
the "base surge".  The photos show the ships being engulfed by this
mass of water/water vapor/mist.

Needless to say, there was some damage from the base surge due to the
weight of the water, and considerable damage from the shock wave
transmitted through the water.  Large diesel generators were torn from
their foundations and bounced around inside engine spaces, for example.

In addition to the structural damage, there was intense radiation
due to the fallout in the base surge water (sand and bottom debris
which was sucked up in the fireball).  The conclusion was that an
underwater burst could be highly effective against a concentrated
naval force.  Ship designs later included washdown systems and the
"citadel" concept (more or less abandoned in the '60s).

Pat Kauffold    AT&T Bel Labs

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: deichman@cod.nosc.mil (Shane D. Deichman)
>>... It is interesting to note that they physicists present theorized
>>that the pressure wave from the deep-water blast would actually create a
>>large block of ice as one of its effects.
>
>No flame, but I find this hard to believe since water is one of the
>few substances which is actually densest as a liquid (at 4 degrees
>C., with one atmosphere pressure)...

The compression wave from a nuclear explosion is followed by a rarefaction
wave of below-ambient pressure.  That might do the trick.
--
The type syntax for C is essentially   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
unparsable.             --Rob Pike     |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry