[sci.military] Oil Dilution Systems.

jgd@gatech.edu (John G. DeArmond) (10/23/90)

From: rsiatl!jgd@gatech.edu (John G. DeArmond)

ron@hpfcso.fc.hp.com (Ron Miller) writes:
>My opinion is that only a government funded military can afford the
>replacement and maintenance that comes with gasoline dilution.
>The rest of us use electric or kerosene block heaters.
>(I use an electric block heater on my jeep and I've used kerosene
> preheaters on light airplanes for starts at 0F.)

Lest we start another urban legend here, Let's make it clear:  There are
NO additional maintenance costs associated with oil dilution assuming
the system is used as designed.  Engine damage from gasoline oil dilution
that most people hear about is as a result of the gasoline being introduced
to the oil via the cylinders where it washes residual oil from the walls and
rings in the process.  As long as the oil dilution system is used as intended -
to restore the viscosity of cold oil that approximating ambient, nothing is
harmed.  Gasoline does not have some mysterious ability to damage engines.

If one wants to consided this in a different light, consider that 2 stroke
engines run with oil dilution in the range of 40:1 to as little as 100:1.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | "The truly ignorant in our society are those people
Radiation Systems, Inc. | who would throw away the parts of the Constitution

chidsey@smoke.brl.mil (Irving Chidsey) (10/24/90)

From: Irving Chidsey <chidsey@smoke.brl.mil>

In article <1990Oct23.010029.3371@cbnews.att.com> rsiatl!jgd@gatech.edu (John G. DeArmond) writes:
<
<From: rsiatl!jgd@gatech.edu (John G. DeArmond)
<
<If one wants to consided this in a different light, consider that 2 stroke
<engines run with oil dilution in the range of 40:1 to as little as 100:1.
<
<John De Armond, WD4OQC  | "The truly ignorant in our society are those people

	Hmm, how long do 2-stroke engines last compared to 4-stroke engines
of the same horsepower in similar use?  I.e., lawnmowers vs lawnmowers or
outboard motors vs outboard motors?  The guarantee that came with my new
mower implies that it will last longer than the old one.

								Irv

--
I do not have signature authority.  I am not authorized to sign anything.
I am not authorized to commit the BRL, the DOA, the DOD, or the US Government

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (10/25/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)
>	Hmm, how long do 2-stroke engines last compared to 4-stroke engines
>of the same horsepower in similar use?  I.e., lawnmowers vs lawnmowers or
>outboard motors vs outboard motors?  The guarantee that came with my new
>mower implies that it will last longer than the old one.

Well, provided you don't run them lean or
with too little oil, 2 cycle engines will
last a long time. They aren't very effi-
cient, as they lose part of the intake
charge out the exhaust port, but they have
few parts to break compared to four cycles.

On another vein: I've heard of two stroke
airplane engines. In particular, some of
the late WW2 (or early post-war) high per-
formance engines were supposedly two cycles.
Does anyone know which ones in particular
were? I also recall (vaguely) an H-shaped
engine (really two engines side-by-side,
each with two vertically opposed banks of
cylinders) that was supposedly used in the
very last test models of Mustang (never
went into service). This engine supposedly
packed more displacement into as small a
cross-section as possible. I THINK it was
a two cycle too, but... this was years and
years ago and I haven't come across any-
thing about it since.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

ron@hpfcso.fc.hp.com (Ron Miller) (10/26/90)

From: ron@hpfcso.fc.hp.com (Ron Miller)

> From: rsiatl!jgd@gatech.edu (John G. DeArmond)
>
> Lest we start another urban legend here, Let's make it clear:  There are
> NO additional maintenance costs associated with oil dilution assuming
> the system is used as designed.  Engine damage from gasoline oil dilution
> that most people hear about is as a result of the gasoline being introduced
> to the oil via the cylinders where it washes residual oil from the walls and
> rings in the process.  As long as the oil dilution system is used as intended -
> to restore the viscosity of cold oil that approximating ambient, nothing is
> harmed.  Gasoline does not have some mysterious ability to damage engines.

With all caveats in place, I agree. However, nothing works perfectly
all the time. (All the systems in my nuclear submarine certainly
didn't!!)

> If one wants to consided this in a different light, consider that 2 stroke
> engines run with oil dilution in the range of 40:1 to as little as 100:1.

Usually on roller bearings which large radial aircraft engines don't have.
But we don't have to start 2stroke motorcycles with 90wt oil in them either!

Ron